The original effort was posted on autohotkey.com years ago http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/2 ... ure-v-300/. The updated version link below has been saved on Google Drive & Dropbox for download and review. Enjoy
Ever since I started using a modified version of the (10+2)*5 methodology to stay focused and get stuff done (i.e Pomodoro technique https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique) I've been much more productive with my daily work results. 80% of my work these days is in front of a PC, so I wanted a script to facilitate the use of this methodology while recording my daily activities for future review and/or billing purposes to clients.
A while back I was reading a LifeHacker post by Gina Trapani about a free windows work/break timer (Instant Boss) that supports Merlin Mann's (10+2)*5 procrastination hack. It's a nice application but didn't do everything I needed.
Thanks to a number of favorable AHK articles by another LifeHacker editor, Adam Pash (check out his Texter AHK script), and obviously without concern for personal brain damage, I decided to try my hand at writing some AHK scripts to do what Instant Boss does and more.
If you've got a free moment, please let me know what you think of this script as a productivity tool (e.g does it help you Get Things Done). FYI, if it weren't for David Allen, and his landmark book "Getting Things Done" (GTD), I doubt this script ever would have happened.
Credit for this script goes to many people on the AHK forum. Both those who wrote the scripts I hacked and those who answered my requests for help when stuck.
In particular, a huge thank you to Tic.
Tic re-wrote the code for everything I was trying to accomplish. I may have hatched the idea, but Tic deserves all programming credit. If weakness/bugs in the coding exists, it' probably integration hacks I did to his code!
* Code a work-break timer, based on the (10+2)*5 procrastination hack, to help people "Get IT Done".
* Tray Icon to display visual and text progress status
* Provide visual and textual ways for users to review how they spend time during the day.
What the script does (high level):
* Launch a work/break timer (48+12)*3 (48 min. work, 12 min break repeated 3 times). If you'd prefer the original (10+2)*5 approach or something else, you can easily modify it in the "Settings"
* Record new task info:
* Via GUI, allow users to easily set preferences for all script features to meet their needs.
* Tray Icon Display
The script works as originally intended. Rather than guess what users might like in future versions, please try it out and let me know!
Take a look at the code and thanks in advance for any coding help and/or enhancement suggestions.
* Integrate AHK only sideshow functions to replace IrfanView.
* Add Browse function to GUI to allow users to select their own sound file.
* Other stuff recommended by testers and users.
P.S. As always, if anyone has the urge to help out, with any of the above, or just share how they've improved the code, by all means do!
Work-Break Timer, Task Logger & Screen Capture
Note: When Upgrading:
1) rename/delete "work break.ini"
2) rename all *.txt files.
3) Launch wb_timer.ahk/exe and re-configure.
4) After re-configuration, copy and paste old *.txt content into new *.txt files as appropriate.
Google Drive file - https://goo.gl/hsmaJd
Dropbox Folder - https://goo.gl/j6sDsb
Note: The google drive file sometimes identifies the zipped file as a virus. I've renamed the *.zip to *.zi_ as an attempted workaround. If you have issues with the Google Drive link, try the Dropbox folder link which includes all individual files including the zipped file.
* This version also includes my Key Apps script Key Apps v2.0. (Key Apps.ahk/KeyApps.exe)
* v. 5.00 may not work with the newest versions of AutoHotkey. It does work with the ANSI-32 bit version. If any of you could help identify and fix the "legacy" code so this script will work with the newest versions of AHK, I'd be grateful
A big thanks to Wolf_II http://goo.gl/pb5cMi for all his help with the GUI and rest of code.
It's still a work in progress yet meets immediate needs. It gives user the option to add up to 7 Programs, Cloud Apps or Files, each with it own hotkey. While there are plenty of scripts out there to open programs and files via a pop-up, this script has one additional feature.
Once you launch one of your favorites, the hotkey also toggle the app state as either visible or minimized.
The menu tray shows each corresponding script for easy inclusion. Work Break timer also provides an option in Settings to automatically launch Key Apps.
Additionally, there are some "utility" functions (e.g Close All Active Apps without closing script or Close & Exit w/reboot option, Stay on Top for Window in focus, Show/Minimize any app, even those not on your list)
v. 4.10 Alpha
* Replaced ToDoList integration with Email to Cloud-based task manager. Default is to sent task to Asana yet via settings user can choose their preferred web app as long as it's designed to have tasks added by email.