Script editor recommendation.

Discuss features, issues, about Editors for AHK
JayDee

Script editor recommendation.

22 Mar 2019, 16:16

Hi! I'm starting with AH2-v1.1.30.01 64bit
I'm looking for advice which script editor should I start with. I have a little experience with Notepad++ and basic familiarity with Scite.
Is there any currently recommended editor? I see many are not updated/developed recently.
Any advice will be appreciated!
:arrow: Cheers! Jack.
swagfag

Re: Script editor recommendation.

22 Mar 2019, 17:19

scite4ahk (with the debugger), ahkstudio, sublimetext, vscode to name a few
JayDee

22 Mar 2019, 17:32

swagfag wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 17:19
scite4ahk (with the debugger), ahkstudio, sublimetext, vscode to name a few
Thanks! Is this your order of preference? What would you use if you were just starting?

I'm reading about all of them, and have many names. I would be interested in the order of your preference, or pointing out which would be most beneficial for the beginner. I would like to minimize the learning curve :) Some people say, that Scite reports many errors, after recent Windows updates. As of now i lean towards AHKStudio.
Masonjar13

22 Mar 2019, 17:54

If you want an all-in-one package deal, AHK Studio for sure. If you prefer a barebones environment (like myself), Notepad++ is a good option. Sublime is very similar to N++.

Those who have a background with C/C++ are likely to be familiar with Microsoft Visual Studio, where VSCode (Visual Studio Code) is basically just the editor portion of it, making it a good choice.

If portability is important, N++, AHK Studio, and SciTE4AHK are all pretty much self contained.

Note: moved topic to Editors subforum.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
JayDee

22 Mar 2019, 18:09

Super! That's an advice I was looking for. Since I have a taste of SciTE4AHK i will give AHK Studio a try. Thanks a lot!
need4speed

13 May 2019, 14:45

JayDee wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 18:09
Super! That's an advice I was looking for. Since I have a taste of SciTE4AHK i will give AHK Studio a try. Thanks a lot!
In case you're looking for the most beginner friendly & best looking "windows compatible" editor check out AutoGUI.
piddly

19 May 2020, 04:34

Anyone using Akelpad? Tiny, awesome performance, very customisable.
xMaxrayx

26 Jun 2023, 16:20

vscode with AHKv2 extension is good
-----------------------ヾ(•ω•`)o------------------------------
https://github.com/xmaxrayx/
Animan8000

29 Jun 2023, 05:10

VSCode for AHK v2 any day in the week, with thqby's extension. Might look a little scary as a newbie but trust me it's absolutely worth it, just learn what you need from it and after few days (or weeks at maximum) you get the hang of it. Has extension support, custom theme support, extremely feature rich and all settings and hotkeys within VSCode can be customized, has Git integration on top of that and can display any code changes. And with the really big feature rich nature and extension support you can use it for any language. You can even make custom profiles (of extensions, settings, hotkeys and theme if I remember correctly) if you have a setup for one programming language and one for another one and it deals with extremely large files quite well (unlike most other editors I've tested) while also being mostly quite fast.
lexikos

14 Jul 2023, 21:47

This topic is old, and the OP was using "AH2-v1.1.30.01" (why AH2?). For anyone looking for a v2 editor:

Editors with AutoHotkey support contains my recommendations, namely VSCode and SciTE4AutoHotkey, and two other editors that I found to have (barely) adequate v2 support. That unfortunately does not include AHK Studio or Adventure IDE...

You can set an editor by running AutoHotkey Dash (in the Start menu), then Editor settings.

This GUI also lets you select an .ahk script as your "editor". At the moment I am using a script which opens VSCode if a .vscode folder is present, otherwise SciTE4AutoHotkey.

Return to “Editors”