How to sort text?

Open source general-purpose IDE, lightweight text editor. Previously known as AutoGUI.
Horus

How to sort text?

08 Jul 2022, 05:55

Hello,

Could someone tell me if it's possible to sort either the whole content of a file or the selected text?

Thanks in advance
BoBo

Re: How to sort text?

08 Jul 2022, 05:56

Horus

21 Aug 2022, 15:28

BoBo wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 05:56
:arrow: Sort
I'm talking about in the Adventure IDE, which is also the name of this forum.
BoBo

21 Aug 2022, 15:38

Oops :shock: :oops: :shh: :shifty:
Alguimist

24 Aug 2022, 20:25

This functionality is not natively integrated with Adventure IDE, but rather provided as a separate tool called Sort Panel. It can be found in "Adventure\Tools\Sort Panel".
Horus

26 Aug 2022, 03:04

Alguimist wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 20:25
This functionality is not natively integrated with Adventure IDE, but rather provided as a separate tool called Sort Panel. It can be found in "Adventure\Tools\Sort Panel".
Thank you.

In that post, it's written that the tool would be included in Adventure IDE v3.0.1 but it's not there (yet?)

On the other hand, for user-friendliness, it would be nice to have this function incorporated inside the IDE like many other text editors.
Alguimist

31 Aug 2022, 16:02

Horus wrote: In that post, it's written that the tool would be included in Adventure IDE v3.0.1 but it's not there (yet?)
It's surely there: "Adventure\Tools\Sort Panel\Sort Panel.exe".
Horus wrote: On the other hand, for user-friendliness, it would be nice to have this function incorporated inside the IDE like many other text editors.
Consider performance, code size, maintenance and user interface design. After all, it's only a matter of copy and paste and a specialized tool provides more capabilities than those commonly incorporated into programs of this category.
Horus

20 Dec 2022, 00:43

Alguimist wrote:
It's surely there: "Adventure\Tools\Sort Panel\Sort Panel.exe".
When you wrote It can be found in "Adventure\Tools\Sort Panel" in your previous message, I thought you were talking about the menu Tools and that it was supposed to be there:
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (19.9 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
But since now that you've written Sort Panel.exe, there's no ambiguity and I understood that you were talking about file and folder. And yes, it's there.

Alguimist wrote:
Horus wrote: On the other hand, for user-friendliness, it would be nice to have this function incorporated inside the IDE like many other text editors.
Consider performance, code size, maintenance and user interface design. After all, it's only a matter of copy and paste and a specialized tool provides more capabilities than those commonly incorporated into programs of this category.
I don't think adding the tool to the menu would decrease enormously the performance nor increase enormously the code size. We use GUI because this kind of tools helps use increase our productivity. If every time we need to sort a little text, we have to open file manager and go down all the way to open this EXE file, that's not very convenient and counter-productive. Just think about maybe two or three times per week to do this, that would be tedious.

I've been trying to configure the Sort panel in the menu Tools, but all I'm able to do is to launch this panel. I'm unable to copy the selected text in the "Input" panel even though I used the "{:SELTEXT:}" keyword.
Clipboard03.png
Clipboard03.png (21.73 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
All I want and most people want is something simple:
1. select some text
2. press a keyboard shortcut
and it gets sorted and replace the original selected text.

We don't need fancy sort. Just ASCII-wise sorting is enough.

Can this be done?

Return to “Adventure IDE”