Keyboard shortcut issues/suggestions [v3.0.0]

Open source general-purpose IDE, lightweight text editor. Previously known as AutoGUI.
lexikos

Keyboard shortcut issues/suggestions [v3.0.0]

08 May 2021, 01:11

@Alguimist
Once the debugger is started, the "Start Debugging - F5" menu item changes to "Continue - F5", but pressing F5 does not continue. Instead, it appears to queue the debugger to be automatically restarted when the script eventually finishes. Given that it doesn't do what the menu option indicates, I'm pretty sure this is a bug.

It appears that in Adventure, "Step Into" doesn't do anything if the script isn't already being debugged. I would suggest that it be changed to start debugging.

In Visual Studio, "Start Debugging" starts execution immediately, while "Step Into" starts debugging and breaks at the first line. Usually I want to either just run the program or run it to a breakpoint, so the Visual Studio behaviour of "Start Debugging" is more convenient than the current Adventure behaviour, which is the same as Visual Studio's "Step Into".

I would want to change some of the keyboard shortcuts to match my ingrained habits if I were to use Adventure regularly, but it looks like the keyboard shortcuts are currently hard-coded in various places. (I only did a quick search for "F5".)
ahk7

Re: Keyboard shortcut issues/suggestions [v3.0.0]

08 May 2021, 01:44

Pretty nifty editor.

My 2cts regarding shortcuts:

* regarding "multiple selection" introduce a shortcut to allow the next occurrence of the selected text to be selected - now you have to use the mouse I think. (Often ctrl-d or ctrl-shift-d which would be a more useful shortcut instead of inserting the date imho) - but ideally allow the user to define all shortcuts.

* ctrl-k to comment/uncomment doesn't seem to do much or behave strangely? Calling the function from the menu does work better. (testing windows 7, 32bit)
boiler

17 May 2021, 15:55

ahk7 wrote: * regarding "multiple selection" introduce a shortcut to allow the next occurrence of the selected text to be selected - now you have to use the mouse I think. (Often ctrl-d or ctrl-shift-d which would be a more useful shortcut instead of inserting the date imho) - but ideally allow the user to define all shortcuts.
+ 1. Was going to suggest this myself. It's one of my favorite features of VS Code. Once you start using it, it's surprising how often you end up using it and saving a lot of time.
ahk7

18 May 2021, 15:34

@boiler indeed many editors have it now SublimeText (the one to introduce it I think), Atom, TextAdapt, UltraEdit, Visual Studio Code, EverEdit, CudaText (I made the request ;) )

@Alguimist if you're looking for ideas, CudaText has lots of ideas to draw inspiration from, from its configuration to the plugin/addon structure and how it works. I've changed a "theme" in Adventure (in the XML), but I'm pretty sure my changes will be lost after updating for example (I realise that may be on your TODO of course)
Alguimist

07 Aug 2021, 12:38

lexikos wrote:
08 May 2021, 01:11
Once the debugger is started, the "Start Debugging - F5" menu item changes to "Continue - F5", but pressing F5 does not continue.
Fixed in version 3.0.1.
Alguimist

07 Aug 2021, 13:08

ahk7 wrote:
08 May 2021, 01:44
Regarding "multiple selection" introduce a shortcut to allow the next occurrence of the selected text to be selected - now you have to use the mouse I think.
All occurrences of a search string can be multi-selected at once in the Find/Replace dialog: "Select All".
ahk7 wrote:I've changed a "theme" in Adventure (in the XML), but I'm pretty sure my changes will be lost after updating
If you have modified Themes.xml, you have to copy it back to the Themes folder of an upgraded version of Adventure. AppData is not yet available for theme files.

Return to “Adventure IDE”