General Question: Position Program-Windows on 3 Screens & 4 Desktops??

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
jwka

General Question: Position Program-Windows on 3 Screens & 4 Desktops??

29 Mar 2017, 12:59

Hi all,

I am a newbie to AHK - or I should better say I am a "considerer" - as I am thinking about choosing AHK over other tools (such as AutoIt), but before investing a lot of time finding out in the end that I cannot achieve what I want, I would like to ask a few questions here - sorry for a lengthy description:

My major motivation to use AHK is to arrange / re-arrange multiple program windows across 4 desktops (provided by DEXPOT) with 3 Monitors (--> 12 desktop areas)
I divide my work in themes: org & fun, programming, research, documentation & writing. This defines the four desktops. On either theme, I am using the three monitors to keep my workplace well arranged

I am using the 3 Monitors 4 desktops on a powerfull mobile workstation (Thinkpad P50), currently under Win7 and planned under Win 10 later. The machine is capable to run all that, but invoking the programs, positionning them (and keep them positionned) on the various working areas is a nightmare.

Therefor, I would like to have a (AHK-) script (or multiple scripts and some master-scripts, that can either be run all together or selctive) that:

- upon start , invokes and positions programs.
Positionning shall take place not only across the three monitors but also across the four desktops (that DEXPOT provides) (!!!)

- during work, it shall supply a means of "re-position" to the "original positions" as sometimes I re-arrange windows and would later want them to be in certain order again

especially when ...

- having disconnected one or two external monitors (the machine is a laptop and I have two 27" external monitors) and re-connecting, all open windows shall be re-positionned across the desktops and maonitors
this is necessary as Windows is dumb and when you disconnect monitors (either to go to a meeting or because another pc uses a monitor by switching the monitor source), Windows on that monitor are moves to the Laptop internal (first) monitor.

Anyone has done such AHK's or knows someone who did it / can direct me to some code?

Thanks in advance!
mviens

Re: General Question: Position Program-Windows on 3 Screens & 4 Desktops??

29 Mar 2017, 16:12

Much of what you ask for I have already built into HotScript. https://github.com/mviens/HotScript

What is not implemented is the auto-launching and resizing/positioning of applications, though it is on the wish-list. The documentation is rather old, but I regularly add new features. The best I can recommend is to look at the help screen (Ctrl-Win-H). Look at the section for "Window keys". I am working on a major enhancement to this to add much more flexibility and ease of use, but it is not yet ready.

If you have questions, let me know.
Mike V.
jwka

29 Mar 2017, 21:25

Hey Mike,

thanks for the answer. I had a look into the link and already registered to the forum.

Since especially positionning (sizing not being THE hot topic) is my major thing, I would be interested in coop to make the necessary enhancements, if possible at all ... As I am a programmer also (mainly PHP at the moment, but also have some other background), that should be possible?

If I would do it from scratch, I would consider one or multiple INI-files where the parameters (Program name, initial desktop and position, call parameters for the win call etc.) are stored in and the script would read and execute.

J.
mviens

30 Mar 2017, 23:20

If you are interested in helping, I welcome it. Please start a thread on my forums, probably under "Wishlist".

http://hotscript.prophpbb.com/
Mike V.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”