ShutUp10 Automation

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Thouldre

ShutUp10 Automation

28 May 2017, 14:27

ShutUp10 is a very simple and very effective tool against Microsofts spy practices. but to use it efficiently you have to run it more or less every day manually.

Is it possible to create a script that runs the program (portable.exe) and skips the following steps by itself so that you automatically revert the changes of a Windows update back to the original settings?
Attachments
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (79.89 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
Unbenannt2.png
Unbenannt2.png (72.32 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
Thouldre

Re: ShutUp10 Automation

30 May 2017, 05:09

No answer... I assume this is not possible then. :(
qwerty12

30 May 2017, 05:31

Thouldre wrote:No answer... I assume this is not possible then. :(
ShutUp10 only manipulates the Registry. I don't know if automating the ShutUp10 program itself is easily done, but one option is using a program like RegFromApp or a program like RegShot or SysTracer to determine the changes made by ShutUp10 and produce a reg file that you can import at any time. This approach, however, requires you undo everything with ShutUp10 first and selectively re-enable the settings you want again...

EDIT: It supports command-line parameters like /quiet and /force. I think you can use them with an exported ShutUp10 cfg file to force reapplying your settings with it from the command-line.
Last edited by qwerty12 on 30 May 2017, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
RickC

30 May 2017, 05:46

ShutUp10 is a GUI to the changes made primarily to the registry but also to 'services' and 'scheduled tasks'. It appears to be benign (i.e. I can't see any contra-indications or any 'phone home' functionality) but there's no reason for you not to (re-)create the changes made using AHK, thus staying in complete control yourself rather than trying to automate a third-party product.

For example:

Code: Select all

; Prompt to 'Run as Admin', i.e. show UAC dialog
If Not A_IsAdmin
{
   Run *RunAs "%A_ScriptFullPath%"  ; Requires v1.0.92.01+
   ExitApp
}

; Allow registry commands in a 32-bit script to access redirected keys in the 64-bit registry view and vice versa.
SetRegView 64

; Section 1 - Amend telemetry-related settings in the registry
; Feedback frequency - Windows should ask for my feedback - NEVER (SIUF = System Initiated User Feedback)
RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules, NumberOfSIUFInPeriod, 0
; Diagnostic and usage data - Send your device data to Microsoft - BASIC
RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection, AllowTelemetry, 1
RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection, AllowTelemetry, 0

; Section 2 - Amend telemetry-related services
; Stop and disable DiagTrack
; Note: This used to appear in Services as 'Diagnostics Tracking Service' but MS sneakily renamed it to 'Connected User Experiences and Telemetry'
RunWait,sc stop "DiagTrack",,hide
RunWait,sc config "DiagTrack" start= disabled,,hide
;RunWait,sc delete "DiagTrack",,hide

; Section 3 - Amend telemetry-related scheduled tasks
RunWait,schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /Disable,,hide
RunWait,schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /Disable,,hide
RunWait,schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /Disable,,hide
RunWait,schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Feedback\Siuf\DmClient" /Disable,,hide

; Restore normal behaviour for 'Reg' commands
SetRegView default

; Popup message when completed
MsgBox, 64, ET... DON'T phone home!, Telemetry-related settings have been amended to reduce 'phoning home'.`n`nThe registry changes will not take effect until you restart.

ExitApp ; All done so exit
Thouldre

31 May 2017, 02:34

qwerty12 wrote:
Thouldre wrote:No answer... I assume this is not possible then. :(
ShutUp10 only manipulates the Registry. I don't know if automating the ShutUp10 program itself is easily done, but one option is using a program like RegFromApp or a program like RegShot or SysTracer to determine the changes made by ShutUp10 and produce a reg file that you can import at any time. This approach, however, requires you undo everything with ShutUp10 first and selectively re-enable the settings you want again...

EDIT: It supports command-line parameters like /quiet and /force. I think you can use them with an exported ShutUp10 cfg file to force reapplying your settings with it from the command-line.
I exported the settings as a .cfg file inside the same directory as the exe and created a scheduled task to run the ShutUp10 with

/quiet /force
inside the arguments field but unfortunately it doesn't revert the changes. Maybe I forgot something? Do I have to specify the path of the .cfg file? If yes, how?
Thouldre

31 May 2017, 02:39

RickC wrote:ShutUp10 is a GUI to the changes made primarily to the registry but also to 'services' and 'scheduled tasks'. It appears to be benign (i.e. I can't see any contra-indications or any 'phone home' functionality) but there's no reason for you not to (re-)create the changes made using AHK, thus staying in complete control yourself rather than trying to automate a third-party product.

For example:

; Prompt to 'Run as Admin', i.e. show UAC dialog
If Not A_IsAdmin
{
   Run *RunAs "%A_ScriptFullPath%"  ; Requires v1.0.92.01+
   ExitApp
}

; Allow registry commands in a 32-bit script to access redirected keys in the 64-bit registry view and vice versa.
SetRegView 64

; Section 1 - Amend telemetry-related settings in the registry
; Feedback frequency - Windows should ask for my feedback - NEVER (SIUF = System Initiated User Feedback)
RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Siuf\Rules, NumberOfSIUFInPeriod, 0
; Diagnostic and usage data - Send your device data to Microsoft - BASIC
RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection, AllowTelemetry, 1
RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection, AllowTelemetry, 0

; Section 2 - Amend telemetry-related services
; Stop and disable DiagTrack
; Note: This used to appear in Services as 'Diagnostics Tracking Service' but MS sneakily renamed it to 'Connected User Experiences and Telemetry'
RunWait,sc stop "DiagTrack",,hide
RunWait,sc config "DiagTrack" start= disabled,,hide
;RunWait,sc delete "DiagTrack",,hide

; Section 3 - Amend telemetry-related scheduled tasks
RunWait,schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /Disable,,hide
RunWait,schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /Disable,,hide
RunWait,schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /Disable,,hide
RunWait,schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Feedback\Siuf\DmClient" /Disable,,hide

; Restore normal behaviour for 'Reg' commands
SetRegView default

; Popup message when completed
MsgBox, 64, ET... DON'T phone home!, Telemetry-related settings have been amended to reduce 'phoning home'.`n`nThe registry changes will not take effect until you restart.

ExitApp ; All done so exit
I'd prefer using ShutUp10 because it is dynamic. Every update brings more functions to disable which means I'd have to write a script every time a new functions has been added...
qwerty12

01 Jun 2017, 09:33

Thouldre wrote:Do I have to specify the path of the .cfg file? If yes, how?
Yes. As far as I can tell, you just quote the path to the cfg file and put it on the command line. I think. I haven't actually tried it. Oddly, the only place O&O documents these switches is in the change log...
Thouldre

04 Jun 2017, 03:00

Found the solution. Works very nice if used with task scheduler! Put everything inside the same folder and execute script as admin after user logon because some settings are user specific!

c:\Test\OOSU10.exe ooshutup10.cfg /quiet
batch.PNG
batch.PNG (4.21 KiB) Viewed 6268 times
kdr0588

10 Feb 2022, 20:21

Thouldre wrote:
Found the solution. Works very nice if used with task scheduler! Put everything inside the same folder and execute script as admin after user logon because some settings are user specific!

batch.PNG
That's a fantastic idea! Could you share what you wrote in the batch.bat file?
kdr0588

10 Feb 2022, 20:56

Thouldre wrote:

batch.PNG
Also to confirm, this is what you have in the task scheduler?
image.png
image.png (44.42 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”