Best Text Editor for AHK?

Get help with using AutoHotkey and its commands and hotkeys
scriptor2016

Best Text Editor for AHK?

19 May 2019, 00:41

Hello, currently I am using Notepad++ and plain old Notepad for scripting in AHK.

In Notepad++, I like to use the 'Doc Switcher' option which shows all scripts loaded into Notepad in a list format in its own window. Problem is, I can't get the list to sort alphabetically - and I have no idea why.

Also, Notepad++ doesn't have an option to change font colors in your code (or if it does, I haven't found out how). Is there any other software which might allow you to simply highlight some text in your script and change its color? Just wondering - I think this would be amazing.

Is there a better editor for AHK out there than Notepad++ (that might allow you to change font colors)??
Ridwan

Re: Best Text Editor for AHK?

19 May 2019, 02:40

I like SublimeText
https://github.com/ahkscript/SublimeAutoHotkey
with PlasticCodeWrap theme by joedf
https://joedf.ahkscript.org/plasticcodewrap/index.html

and the simple and fast CodeQuickTester by GeekDude (but i think it can't change the font color)
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6113
Sabestian Caine

19 May 2019, 05:14

No doubt, the best editor for ahk is AHK Studio by Maestrith.

Check out this link-
https://the-automator.com/ahk-studio/
I don't normally code as I don't code normally.
YOU do what YOU want, but happens what HE wants.
YOU do what HE wants, will happen what YOU want.
toralf

19 May 2019, 07:43

I use notepad++
But with a few extensions

I do not understand what you exactly want when you write about coloring code.
Do you mean syntax highlighting? Or that e.g. when a variable name is selected all other occurrences are also highlighted? Both is possible with npp.
If you want to achieve something different please elaborate.
ciao
toralf
scriptor2016

19 May 2019, 14:37

perhaps change the color of the fonts. For example:

Code: Select all

lbutton::
msgbox, you clicked
return

z::
msgbox, you pressed z
return

h::
msgbox, you pressed h
return
for the lbutton hotkey block of code, maybe you could change the font colors of all 3 lines to green. Then change all 3 lines of the z:: hotkey block to red, and all 3 lines for the h:: to orange or something. Color-coding the fonts would make it easy to identify where certain parts of the script are, especially in large scripts.

(I'm sure this can already be done but I haven't figured out how yet)
toralf

19 May 2019, 14:56

I don’t think that this is possible in npp.
It is also contradicting the aim of syntax highlighting.

Usually one structures large scripts with larger comment sections or with lines of e.g. ####
Or by separating the code in different files.
I personally use my own function list to find the location I want to jump to. Or I search for the name. And I use several files to separate the code. I hardly scroll through the code.
ciao
toralf
scriptor2016

19 May 2019, 15:12

I just found out that if you highlight a few lines of code in Notepad++, then right click on it and choose "Style Token/Using 1st Style", it will change the color of the selected lines. This is pretty well what I was looking for (or close enough). There are up to 5 Styles in the context menu, but after all 5 are used up I'm not sure how to add more.

A video on youtube says that when all 5 Style colors are used up, then just highlight another line(s) of code, and again go to "Style Token/Using 1st Style", and then highlight those same lines again but this time choose "Style Token/Using 2nd Style" and it generates a new color not seen in the first 5 styles. Confusing!

Return to “Ask For Help”