Windows 10, Suspected UAC problem

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Vh_

Windows 10, Suspected UAC problem

23 Jul 2019, 15:20

I've been using AutoHotkey with our work system made in Visual Basic, on windows 7 without any problems. For a few years now. Never any problems what so ever. A few of my script users recently upgraded to windows 10, and things are breaking.

I've tried the following.

1. Ran AutoHotkey script as administrator.
2. Enabled the Add 'Run with UI Access' to context menus option in AutoHotkey Setup and also tried running the script with that option.
3. Ran the visual basic program in administrator mode.
4. Turned UAC to lowest setting.
5. Verified the control names did not change.
6. Yes, we did reboot the computer. :)

The interesting thing is, ControlGetText can read text out of the edit fields, but cannot write with ControlSetText. These are fields that can be typed in so questions on that is not an issue either.

In the past, any issues I had that were suspected as UAC would be 100% working or 100% not. I am completely out of ideas as to why it appears to work on some commands and not others, on the same Control (ThunderRT6TextBox1) in the program.

Any help on this is highly appreciated. In a few months there is no question I will be moving to windows 10 on my machine. Unless we can get this figured out, it's doomsday. :)

Thanks.
Albireo

Re: Windows 10, Suspected UAC problem

25 Jul 2019, 15:12

When I face this problem, I usually create an object(task without time) in the Windows Scheduler. Then I run that task from AHK.
Something like that .:

Code: Select all

ProgAHK = C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "%ScheduleName%"
	Run %ProgAHK%,, Min UseErrorLevel
	If ErrorLevel
(Seems to work well - I get no UAC question)

_ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _

The example in the AHK Run Help is also working well (always you must answer yes - but you never forget to run the AHK-program as administrator)

Code: Select all

full_command_line := DllCall("GetCommandLine", "str")

if not (A_IsAdmin or RegExMatch(full_command_line, " /restart(?!\S)"))
{
    try
    {
        if A_IsCompiled
            Run *RunAs "%A_ScriptFullPath%" /restart
        else
            Run *RunAs "%A_AhkPath%" /restart "%A_ScriptFullPath%"
    }
    ExitApp
}

MsgBox A_IsAdmin: %A_IsAdmin%`nCommand line: %full_command_line%
_ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _ . - . _
lexikos

Re: Windows 10, Suspected UAC problem

26 Jul 2019, 23:01

Is this a compiled or uncompiled script? Is it the same version of AutoHotkey (version number, ANSI/Unicode, 32-bit/64-bit)?

N.B. Turning UAC to the lowest setting via Control Panel disables UAC on Windows 7, but on later versions all it does is disable the prompt that normally appears when a program tries to elevate. Programs still do not run at the highest integrity level by default.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”