Need to remap brightness +/- keys Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey and its commands and hotkeys
ralphonzo

Need to remap brightness +/- keys

28 Jan 2020, 17:40

I just got a new keyboard. Instead of devoted volume keys (no modifier required), it has devoted brightness keys. I want to map the worthless-for-my-desktop brightness keys to handle volume. However, I don't see them on the list of keys. These are standard keys recognized by Windows and common on laptop keyboards, so I'm wondering if there's a technical reason they aren't available, or perhaps the documentation is just outdated?

Is it possible to remap these keys, or is there no means to point to them in a script?
divanebaba

Re: Need to remap brightness +/- keys  Topic is solved

28 Jan 2020, 21:48

Hi.

Look here https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=150128#p150128

It is in German language, but should be translatable with Google-Translator.
If your special keys are listed in the key-history you should be easily able to remap like similar example below, which remaps a point to a comma:

Code: Select all

sc034::		; special code for "point"
send {vkBCSC033}	; special code for "comma"
return
gregster

Re: Need to remap brightness +/- keys

28 Jan 2020, 22:13

Related: How to determine the scan codes of special keys from the docs.

Btw, I don't think that these keys are really standardized. They can probably have different scan codes on different keyboards, or possibly no determinable scan code at all.
ralphonzo

Re: Need to remap brightness +/- keys

30 Jan 2020, 15:16

Thanks to both of you!

Edit: Just to let others know who may come across this thread, in the case of my trashy private label wireless keyboard, the brightness +/- buttons do not register in key history and thus can't be mapped to volume +/-. :/ They're set for low-level commands, I guess. Considering all laptops have had these keys for 15+ years and they've worked in Windows and Linux all along, this seems to be an unfortunate old standard.

Return to “Ask For Help”