win+K and don't launch office app Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
BGM

win+K and don't launch office app

13 Feb 2020, 12:00

I want to use Win+K to open Keypass, so I set a hotkey in keypass (won't accept win key, so I set it to alt+shift+control+k) and use autohotkey to send the key command.

This works, but it *also* launches the windows 10 Office app (the red one). I uninstalled it with Geek uninstaller, but win+k reinstalls it. How do I stop it from launching?
BGM

Re: win+K and don't launch office app

26 Feb 2020, 14:54

When we assign a hotkey with autohotkey, isn't it supposed to override any existing hotkeys of the same designation?

What I *think* is happening is that the win+k hotkey is bound to Windows Explorer and that application launches the Office app. I've tried uninstalling the Office app but it keeps coming back.

Why would the hotkey activate both my own ahk routine AND the Office app?
BGM

03 Mar 2020, 23:19

I guess nobody has any clues for me. hmmph. I love to use win+k but I can't get rid of that MS office app. And ahk doesn't seem to completely override the hotkey like it should.

Can someone else try it on their win 10? Just assign win+k to notepad and see if it opens the office app. Then try to make it stop. You can uninstall the office app, but it always returns.

At least can someone post a reply and comfort me a little?
TAC109

04 Mar 2020, 15:11

There are some posts about this, lncluding from @lexikos. (Sorry I don’t have time to search the forum at present.)
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe
TAC109

04 Mar 2020, 17:25

Here is the thread I was remembering.
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe
lmstearn

05 Mar 2020, 09:06

Win + K in 1909 brings up the Connect Miracast popup on the right. Funny that, as Wikipedia doesn't list the combination for Win10 or Office (below) either.
Presumably GetOffice isn't installed at present?

Code: Select all

GetOffice: Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage
There's an Office Uninstall Tool here- would that change anything?
The Windows Start Menu may have an issue- here's a thread on it:
https://superuser.com/questions/957084/how-to-fix-refresh-start-menu-in-windows-10-how-to-add-remove-edit-items

Edit: Related:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-popping-up-frequently-even-when-no/921bb884-656d-455b-9198-58af224bc394
:arrow: itros "ylbbub eht tuO kaerB" a ni kcuts m'I pleH
BGM

05 Mar 2020, 11:10

So, I can run this:
Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage
and it runs.

But win+k still opens that office app; it says "Welcome to Office; Sign in to use free web apps...."
I do have Office365 Pro Plus installed, but it's a desktop application, not an app, and I can't remove *that* since I need it for work.

I'm using Open-Shell in place of the Windows Start Menu, so I haven't even customized the original one.
lmstearn

05 Mar 2020, 21:30

I see, has Office been activated? Might be a job for the activation tools- this thread may be of use.
:arrow: itros "ylbbub eht tuO kaerB" a ni kcuts m'I pleH
cyc

Re: win+K and don't launch office app  Topic is solved

12 Oct 2022, 09:25

BGM wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 12:00
I want to use Win+K to open Keypass, so I set a hotkey in keypass (won't accept win key, so I set it to alt+shift+control+k) and use autohotkey to send the key command.

This works, but it *also* launches the windows 10 Office app (the red one). I uninstalled it with Geek uninstaller, but win+k reinstalls it. How do I stop it from launching?

Code: Select all

#k::
    Send {Blind}{LWin up}{RWin up}  ; Ensures that the Win key is released logically, even if physically it may be pressed.
    Sleep 50   ; sleep a short amount of time to make it robust (arguably)
    Send ^!+k  ; Actually send the required key.
    return
lexikos

15 Oct 2022, 03:38

The problem was that if you press (physically or virtually) all four modifiers and then release one of them without first pressing some other key, that activates the built-in Office shortcut. In your case, Send ^!+k was likely pressing down ^+! before releasing #.

In some cases it isn't feasible to work around this by changing the order of modifiers being pressed and released, but the shortcut can instead be suppressed by sending any key; e.g. Send {Blind}{vk07}.

More details can be found here: Prevent Win+Ctrl+Alt+Shift hotkeys from opening the Office dialog in Windows 1903.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”