Does Autohotkey will answer to that need?

Get help with using AutoHotkey and its commands and hotkeys
cavo789
GitHub: cavo789

Does Autohotkey will answer to that need?

05 Jun 2020, 07:15

Hi all

Can someone tells me if AHK can answer to my needs i.e.:

* I'm a developper and using DOS a lot to run commands like git command, my own tools, building scripts, ...
* In DOS, I've added a few folders in the PATH environment variable so tools are accessible everywhere,
* I'm going in the c:\repos\project1 folder and I start the "git_check_status.cmd" script. That script is "somewhere" but well in the PATH so I can run it.
* I can run "concat.cmd" tool for the same reason i.e. also in a folder that is mentionned in the PATH.

My question/need: is it possible to use something like auto-completion? I wish to be lazy and start to type "git_" and press TAB key f.i. so DOS will show me all git_xxxx files (present in the current folder) or my git_check_status.cmd EVEN IF NOT PRESENT in the current directory.

I'm using capital letters because that's the problem. If I press the TAB key, Windows already use autocompletion and will suggest files or folders names but only if present in the directory where I am.

I just want to be lazy (and efficient) and have either an auto-completion and something to be able to very quickly retrieve my favorites commands/tools and not be forced to remember the exact name and the exact list of arguments (the cherry on the cake ;)).

Does AHK can be useful for this use case? Perhaps not like I imagine? (f.i. under DOS, press a shortcut, get a popup with my favorites tools, select one, get his command line so I can add extra parameters and run)

Thanks a lot!

Christophe
elModo7
GitHub: elModo7

Re: Does Autohotkey will answer to that need?

05 Jun 2020, 07:35

There are a few scripts that would do, google for it.
Here is one:
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/60998-autocomplete-12/
:beer:
BoBo

05 Jun 2020, 07:51

AFAIK the keyword is "incremental search". You should find additional stuff :arrow: here. Good luck :)
cavo789

05 Jun 2020, 07:53

Many thanks!!! I'll take a look right now.

For info, of course I've first try to find the info on Google and in the official documentation (pretty old https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/AutoHotkey.htm). I've probably not used the right verbs I'm afraid, therefore my post.

Thanks!
cavo789

05 Jun 2020, 08:14

I've installed https://github.com/Uberi/Autocomplete, it works and yes, that meet my needs. Thanks for the tip!!!

However, it seems it doesn't like underscore...

I've modified the list and add four items at this time. The last one is "git_ckeck_status"

When I start to type "git_ch" indeed I see a small popup. I press enter to validate the suggestion and the first letters are repeated.
So "git_ch" becomes "gigit_check_status" f.i.

This seems to be the case only for that one. Is it due to the presence of the underscore ? (works as expected with a minus sign)
Last edited by gregster on 05 Jun 2020, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image.

Return to “Ask For Help”