Remapping problem: Shift+NumpadEnd only works once!?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
mmmax

Remapping problem: Shift+NumpadEnd only works once!?

20 Oct 2020, 14:50

I've added the following remapping in my AHK script.

Code: Select all

NumpadEnd::Numpad1
But if I hit Shift+Numpad1 (received as NumpadEnd), the first time I get an output of Shift+Numpad1, as desired. However, if I continue holding the Shift key down, and press Numpad1 again, I only see an output of Numpad1 instead of Shift+Numpad1.

How can I script this remapping so that the Shift key state is not released when releasing the Numpad1 key while still holding down the Shift key? I need to be able to continue holding the Shift key and repeatedly hitting the Numpad1 key and receiving the output of Shift+Numpad1 each time, as well as if I add another modifier like Control or Alt. Basically, I need the Shift key state to remain down as long as I am actually holding the Shift key down.

Please help! Thank you! :)
gregster

Re: Remapping problem: Shift+NumpadEnd only works once!?

20 Oct 2020, 23:06

Not absolutely sure which result you really want - because the Numpad is quite special: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm#numpad

Perhaps... but probably not

*Numpad1::Numpad1
You want a shifted Numpad1 as a result, right? Shift+Numpad1 means NumpadEnd. But that is the default behaviour already for Numpad1... :think: Numpad1 pressed twice while Shift is down (and Numpad is ON):

A0  02A	 	d	1.20	LShift         	
A0  02A	 	u	0.25	LShift         	
23  04F	 	d	0.00	NumpadEnd      	
23  04F	 	u	0.13	NumpadEnd      	
A0  02A	 	d	0.00	LShift         	

A0  02A	 	u	0.06	LShift 
23  04F	 	u	0.09	NumpadEnd      	
A0  02A	 	d	0.02	LShift         	
A0  02A	 	u	0.36	LShift
Shift needs to be released temporarily to allow NumpadEnd to be sent... that's necessary because of the special workings of the Numpad. But the shift state gets immediately restored - that's all intended bahaviour, afaics.

Spoiler
mmmax

21 Oct 2020, 09:03

gregster wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 23:06
Not absolutely sure which result you really want...
Ideally, I need the Numpad to work the way it does when using my Mac: like numeric keys, regardless of whether Shift is pressed or not.

This will allow me to use the same shortcuts in Reaper on PC as I have assigned on my Mac (a far-superior OS, IMO, which allows the disabling or reassignment of nearly any shortcut used by the OS to any other menu selection/application shortcut).

As is now, any hotkey using any combination of Shift+Numpad(0-9) and any other modifiers sends the other modifiers plus the numpad key with Shift removed from the shortcut combo, and Shift+Numpad(0-9) results in the temporarily-bypassed Numlock state for each key (Insert, End, ↓, PageDown, ←, clear, →, Home, ↑, PageUp).

Basically, I need the Numlocked Numpad(0-9) keys to be static, or to totally disable the functionality of shift bypassing the Numlock state.
gregster

21 Oct 2020, 09:15

So, just send the number key, whatever modifiers are pressed at the same time. This seems to do it:

*Numpad1::
*NumpadEnd::Send {Numpad1}

*Numpad2::
*NumpadDown::Send {Numpad2}

;... and so on
mmmax

21 Oct 2020, 23:05

Unfortunately, this still doesn't work. The target application is still only seeing Numpad1 or "End" - even with the Shift key held.

Numlock ON:
Numpad1 = Numpad1
Shift+Numpad1 = Numpad1

Numlock OFF:
Numpad1 = End
Shift+Numpad1 = End

I should probably give a bit more info on the complexities of my setup. I'm currently working from home on a PC (Dell laptop, using a USB3 KVM dock, with an Apple USB keybaord (since I normally work on Mac at my home studio)), which I'm using to connect to my PC workstation at the office via Citrix.

I have AHK installed on both the Laptop and PC in the office. I also have EventGhost and Pulover's Macro Creator installed on both machines. But currently, neither of them are doing anything with Shift+ any Numpad0-9 key.

The target application is Reaper (64-bit) v6.112c.

By spamming shift and Numpad1, I am able to occasionally see a Shift+Numpad1 in the keyboard log in EventGhost. But it happens very infrequently.

I've also tried just testing this directly on the Dell laptop, eliminating Citrix and other variables, and unfortunately, it still doesn't work. I get the same results as above with either End or Numpad1 being sent. I think this may be due to the Windows hard-coded functionality of Shift used to temporarily override the Numlock.

Still, if there were some way I could capture the following sequence of keystrokes, I think I could assign it to output Shift+Numpad1 and make this work:

A0  02A	 	d	1.20	LShift         	
A0  02A	 	u	0.25	LShift         	
A0  02A	 	d	0.00	LShift         
I'm just not sure if there is any way to remap a sequence of keystrokes using AHK to a single keystroke where the sequence of keystrokes will be blocked, and only the output of the script will be sent.
gregster

22 Oct 2020, 01:45

In general, if I wanted to completely disable NumpadEnd, NumpadRight and so on, I would first look into the computer's BIOS/UEFI for corresponding options - or for a registry change, instead of using a high-level hook like AHK.
It seems, though, that most tips on the internet just deal with setting the initial Numlock state, but not with completely de-activating this ancient Windows design feature which always turns pressing Shift-Numpad1 into NumpadEnd... usually AutoHotkey gets recommended to avoid the latter - and for me, it seems to work with the code above, in my standard settings and programs.

Citrix can probably complicate things (from what I heard), and I assume that EventGhost can also interfere with AHK's keyboard hooks. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either of them.

For me, with NumLock OFF, I don't see NumpadEnd being sent, when using the code above:
Spoiler
Now this is different, if the target application runs with higher rights than my script - then, the application will completely ignore my remappings/hotkeys.

The same test with Numlock ON:
Spoiler

Perhaps, @lexikos has an idea how to handle potential interference by Citrix, or can point out the flaws in my reasoning (not unlikely ;) )

mmmax wrote:Still, if there were some way I could capture the following sequence of keystrokes, I think I could assign it to output Shift+Numpad1 and make this work:

A0  02A	 	d	1.20	LShift         	
A0  02A	 	u	0.25	LShift         	
A0  02A	 	d	0.00	LShift
This looks like simply sending NumpadEnd when pressing Shift+Numpad1, and pretty much like the standard Windows behaviour - I thought you wanted to avoid that. :think:
mmmax wrote:Ideally, I need the Numpad to work the way it does when using my Mac: like numeric keys, regardless of whether Shift is pressed or not.
I thought that would exclude NumpadEnd from being useful for you... a shifted Numpad1 is always a NumpadEnd, unless you replace it with something else (like a plain Numpad1, like above).
gregster

22 Oct 2020, 01:46

mmmax wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 23:05
Unfortunately, this still doesn't work. The target application is still only seeing Numpad1 or "End" - even with the Shift key held.

Numlock ON:
Numpad1 = Numpad1
Shift+Numpad1 = Numpad1

Numlock OFF:
Numpad1 = End
Shift+Numpad1 = End
The NumLock ON behaviour looks like the intended behaviour, iirc.

I guess you could simply de-activate the toggle function of the NumLock key "permanently" via the registry, so that you always keep Numlock ON... and with it (and the code above), the intended behaviour, if you think that you otherwise might accidentally turn NumLock off. Perhaps try *Numlock::return or *Numlock::SetNumLockState, AlwaysOn first.
(perhaps something like https://github.com/randyrants/sharpkeys can help with changing the registry entry for the Numlock key (remapping or deactivating it); I think it has a GUI - with AHK you could still write to the registry via regwrite)
mmmax

22 Oct 2020, 06:51

Busy trying to do my actual work instead of solving a problem that makes doing my work more tedious and time consuming. I'll have to respond to the specifics in more detail later.

For now, suffice it to say that, as I mentioned, even when eliminating Citrix from the equation, and using only AHK on the laptop, I'm still seeing the problems as described when trying to map or look up a shortcut entry in Reaper, even without EventGhost or PMC running.

Which app do you use to log all of the key up/down events when pressing a hotkey? Is it AHK that is somehow generating this debug? I've just been using EventGhost with the keyboard plugin to log stuff.

Not sure what editor you are using where you are only seeing a 1 being sent. But perhaps try this same thing with Numpad9, which would be a more obvious NumpadPageUp, as I think NumpadEnd will simply place the cursor at the end of the line in a text editor.

Also, I'm not sure how you can tell if modifiers are being sent with Numpad1 (e.g. shift+Numpad1) if the output is just text. You'd need to test in something where you can assign keyboard shortcuts to some other function so you could see if it actually is receiving shift+numpad1 instead of NumpadEnd.

If you have a working AHK script where no other combination of Numpad1 or NumpadEnd is sent before Shift+Numpad1, please send me the code for the script you are using in its entirety (with any other settings, includes, etc) so I can test that in case something else in my AHK script is causing an issue.

From the most recent reply here, it sounds like I may need to handle this at the registry or BIOS. What I need is consistent functionality of Shift+Numpad0-9 keys (as well as combined with other modifiers) without the shift key being released and the other Numpad navigational keys being triggered.

The big picture: I have a plethora of Numpad shortcuts in Reaper that I mapped using my Mac, many of which incorporate the Shift modifier. They're all hard-coded in my muscle memory after many years of sound editing/mixing. Not being able to use them working on PC is killing my brain in a very bad way. :( So if there is any way possible to remove the "shift temporarily disables numlock" functionality so that I can actually send shift+Numpad0-9 shortcuts to Reaper instead of them being translated to a bunch of other rapid-fire keystrokes or shift+navigation keys (Reaper doesn't see any difference between the normal "End" key and "NumpadEnd", by the way), I desperately need to figure it out.

Thank you so much for all of your help so far! It is sincerely appreciated!
mmmax

22 Oct 2020, 06:53

Also, I have no idea why, but even in my spam folder I haven't received anything from this site, despite having thread reply and every other type of email notification on. Pretty weird.
gregster

23 Oct 2020, 01:28

mmmax wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 06:51
Which app do you use to log all of the key up/down events when pressing a hotkey? Is it AHK that is somehow generating this debug? I've just been using EventGhost with the keyboard plugin to log stuff.
It's AHK's own KeyHistory (<-- this is a link to the docs). You can either assign a hotkey like ^k::KeyHistory to pull it up, or use your script's main window - it's usually hidden, but you can bring it up, by double-clicking your scripts tray icon or via 'Open' in its context menu (then choose 'KeyHistory' in the 'View' menu).

It also shows additional information like s for suspended or h for hooked, which you can see in the keyhistories above (they are explained in the actual KeyHistory window).

I don't know if EventGhost (or some other program on your computer) interferes with AHK's keyboard hooks, but I rather believe what I see in AHK's own keyboard history (and my own eyes). In the past, it was quite reliable.
Not sure what editor you are using where you are only seeing a 1 being sent. But perhaps try this same thing with Numpad9, which would be a more obvious NumpadPageUp, as I think NumpadEnd will simply place the cursor at the end of the line in a text editor.
I tried

*Numpad8::
*NumpadUp::Send {Numpad8}

*Numpad9::
*NumpadPgUp::Send {Numpad9}
but the cursor didn't move up once in the editor, like it does, if I normally press NumpadUp or NumpadPgUp.
Instead I just get 8s and 9s, the same with modifiers pressed and holding the keys continuously down - no matter, if NumLock is ON or OFF.
Example of the KeyHistory for Numlock OFF, pressing Shift+NumpadPgUp - while running the code above:

A0  02A	 	d	0.03	LShift         	
21  049	h	d	0.02	NumpadPgUp     	
A0  02A	i	u	0.00	LShift         	
69  049	i	d	0.00	Numpad9        	
69  049	i	u	0.02	Numpad9        	
A0  02A	i	d	0.01	LShift         	
21  049	s	u	0.08	NumpadPgUp     	
A0  02A	 	u	1.28	LShift
h stands for hooked, s for suppressed - so NumpadPgUp gets blocked and replaced by Numpad9. The physically held down LShift gets automatically and temporarily logically released by Send to not interfere with sending a plain Numpad9 (d and u stands for down and up), and re-instated to its (d)own state - until I finally release it physically.
At the same time, the editor shows 9 and no jump of the cursor. So the Keyhistory seems to reflect pretty accurately the observable behaviour.

Then, I exited my script, tried the same combo again, and everything was selected from the original cursor position up to the top. So, this default behaviour of my editor was clearly not triggered, when the hotkeys were active.
Also in Notepad: the standard actions for NumLock OFF don't happen, if the script runs.
Also, I'm not sure how you can tell if modifiers are being sent with Numpad1 (e.g. shift+Numpad1) if the output is just text. You'd need to test in something where you can assign keyboard shortcuts to some other function so you could see if it actually is receiving shift+numpad1 instead of NumpadEnd.
In the editor, the Numlock Off keys have their own observable effects, like mentioned above. But in doubt, the keyhistory can tell you what actually happens.

As I understand it, Windows doesn't really differentiate between Shift+Numpad1 and NumpadEnd. It automatically replaces the former with the latter, if you press the former. But I might be wrong 🤷‍♂️
The hotkeys above just send plain Numpad8 and Numpad9, that's how Send works, by default it releases modifiers - that seemed to be what you wanted (" I need the Numpad to work the way it does when using my Mac: like numeric keys, regardless of whether Shift is pressed or not.") So I am still not sure, what the actual problem might be. I can't imagine that Windows or Windows programs expect something else than standard Windows behaviour...
If you have a working AHK script where no other combination of Numpad1 or NumpadEnd is sent before Shift+Numpad1, please send me the code for the script you are using in its entirety (with any other settings, includes, etc) so I can test that in case something else in my AHK script is causing an issue.
I am only using the snippets I showed above.
Perhaps you should describe what your shortcuts in Reaper are actually doing, or meant to do - so that someone can try to reproduce your problem.
(Reaper doesn't see any difference between the normal "End" key and "NumpadEnd", by the way)
You mean their normal effect (which could be expected) or their differentiation for key combos? The latter would sound like a deficiency of Reaper, but I can't imagine that the Reaper developers don't know how the Windows numpad works, or why they would limit the shortcut options for their users. But stranger things happened... :shifty:

They seem to be the same 'virtual key' (23) - usually having the same effect (same with the arrow keys), I guess, but for hotkeys they can be differentiated easily by their scan codes: 04F vs 14F - that's what AHK does:

23  04F	 	d	4.84	NumpadEnd      	
23  04F	 	u	0.06	NumpadEnd      	

23  14F	 	d	2.78	End            	
23  14F	 	u	0.06	End
mmmax

23 Oct 2020, 03:50

gregster wrote:
As I understand it, Windows doesn't really differentiate between Shift+Numpad1 and NumpadEnd. It automatically replaces the former with the latter, if you press the former. But I might be wrong 🤷‍♂️
Thanks again for the helpful reply and info!

I think this bit is the very root of the problem I'm having. On the Mac, all of the actions in REAPER that I have assigned to some combo of other modifiers and/or shift plus Numpad0 through Numpad9 are all registered as the various modifier keys plus the Numpad key pressed. And from what you're saying, this simply isn't possible in Windows because it (infuriatingly) replaces the shift+ Numpad0-9 key combo with their corresponding Numpad navigation key, and doesn't allow users to disable this behavior.

And since REAPER doesn't see a difference between End and NumpadEnd or any other navigation key and it's Numpad version (alone, or in conjunction with modifier keys), it looks like I'm totally screwed, since I basically am lacking 7x10 key shortcuts (Shift plus every other combination of it and any other key modifier and all 10 Numpad keys). I don't have the ability to assign actions to shortcuts using the Numpad keys with the shift key as a modifier in Windows, nor can I use the Numpad keys with Numlock OFF because they are seen the same as their corresponding navigation keys. So that's actually 80 shortcuts I can't use, maybe more if any other Numpad keys are similarly affected by the shift key modifier.

Seriously, I'm majorly bummed out about this, especially because I'm forced to use a PC for my current job. But it just reaffirms and solidifies my opinion that macOS is a far-superior operating system compared to Windows. :mrgreen:

If anyone manages to find a way to disable the effect of the shift key on the Numpad numeric keys with Numlock ON so that Windows apps can actually receive the scancode of the shift key and the Numpad numeric keys together (the same way macOS handles them), please reply here to save Windows OS some reputation points, and to help me solve this nightmarish problem once and for all.

Thank you!
gregster

23 Oct 2020, 03:58

mmmax wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 03:50
gregster wrote:
And since REAPER doesn't see a difference between End and NumpadEnd or any other navigation key and it's Numpad version (alone, or in conjunction with modifier keys), it looks like I'm totally screwed, since I basically am lacking 7x10 key shortcuts (Shift plus every other combination of it and any other key modifier and all 10 Numpad keys). I don't have the ability to assign actions to shortcuts using the Numpad keys with the shift key as a modifier in Windows, nor can I use the Numpad keys with Numlock OFF because they are seen the same as their corresponding navigation keys. So that's actually 80 shortcuts I can't use, maybe more if any other Numpad keys are similarly affected by the shift key modifier.

Seriously, I'm majorly bummed out about this, especially because I'm forced to use a PC for my current job. But it just reaffirms and solidifies my opinion that macOS is a far-superior operating system compared to Windows. :mrgreen:
If this is really the root of the problem, this sounds more like a Reaper-specific problem - since Windows is clearly capable of differentiating those keys (arrow and other Numpad keys) by their scan codes. I would consider asking the Reaper guys about this... they might be able to clear up if this is really the problem here (and why they chose to do it this way). I have used Reaper a few times many years ago, but I really don't know much about it (let alone its keyboard shortcut abilities).
mmmax

23 Oct 2020, 04:54

gregster wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 03:58
If this is really the root of the problem, this sounds more like a Reaper-specific problem - since Windows is clearly capable of differentiating those keys (arrow and other Numpad keys) by their scan codes. I would consider asking the Reaper guys about this... they might be able to clear up if this is really the problem here (and why they chose to do it this way). I have used Reaper a few times many years ago, but I really don't know much about it (let alone its keyboard shortcut abilities).
Well, let's say half the problem is REAPER and the other half is Windows OS, since I don't have these issues with REAPER on Mac. ☺️

But yes, if REAPER could at least differentiate the numpad navigation keys from their standard keyboard versions (on both Mac and PC), that would at least open up shortcut mapping for the numpad keys in conjunction with shift and other modifiers with numlock off. But without solving the "shift overrides Numlock" issue on PC, those other 70 or so shortcuts will just never be available to use on PC.

However, a thought just occurred to me: I'm wondering if REAPER supports key codes on PC for other characters that aren't on the physical keyboard. 🤔 If so, I might be able to use AHK to remap all of the problem hotkeys on PC (and karbiner on Mac) so that they all register some other foreign character or symbol. Assuming those characters have the same key codes on both platforms, that should let me solve all the cross-platform shortcut headaches.

I'll have to look into this when I have time this weekend. Will report back if I'm able to make it work this way.
lexikos

26 Oct 2020, 04:41

For the "shift overrides Numlock" issue, maybe this helps?

#if GetKeyState("NumLock", "T")
NumpadEnd::MsgBox Shift + Numpad1   ; <==
#if
Numpad1::MsgBox Numpad1
NumpadEnd::MsgBox NumpadEnd
+NumpadEnd::MsgBox Shift + NumpadEnd
I'm wondering if REAPER supports key codes on PC for other characters that aren't on the physical keyboard.
In general, software cannot know which keys physically exist on the keyboard. Even when a key is pressed, the OS only knows which scan codes were generated. (Heck, the keyboard might not even physically exist.) Scan codes are translated to VK codes according to whichever keyboard layout is in use, and it is usually VK codes that are assigned functions (or hotkeys) by the program or OS. If a VK code (combined with the current modifier key state) doesn't correspond to a hotkey, then maybe it is translated to a character.

If you Send a character which does not exist on your keyboard layout (as defined by user preference or system setting), what you get is either an Alt+Numpad combination (like Alt+0181 for µ) or a keyboard event message containing the Unicode character code and the pseudo-keycode 0xE7 (VK_PACKET). Generally neither is suitable for assigning as a hotkey.

So in other words, it is only important to know which VK codes the program (or its mechanism for mapping keys to functions) supports. That can vary between programs, so you basically need to experiment.

There are a bunch of VK codes that do not correspond to any printable character, either because they are unassigned/reserved or because they are assigned meanings (but not necessarily functions). For example, End has a function but no character, vk0E and vk0F are undefined, and F13-F24 don't exist on most modern keyboards, so usually don't have any effect (other than what you assign).

If F13-F24 aren't suitable, see Virtual-Key Codes to get an idea of other VK codes you might be able to use (but remember to replace the standard hexadecimal prefix 0x with vk for hotkeys and Send).
mmmax

26 Oct 2020, 16:46

lexikos wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 04:41
For the "shift overrides Numlock" issue, maybe this helps?
Thanks for the info on vk codes. I'll have to give that a try.

All tests so far have shown that, no matter how I try to use AHK to send shift+Numpad(0-9) to an application, Windows OS hijacks it and converts it to the corresponding Numlock-Off version of the key. It's as if these shortcuts simply don't exist or are impossible to enter in Windows. So unless I can get a response from some sort of Windows OS guru who can tell me how to hack some registry, BIOS, or system files to disable this "feature", it looks like I'll need to find 10 other non-physical keyboard keys, and reassign the Shift+Numpad(0-9) (and Shift plus other modifiers) shortcuts to those using AHK. And eventually I'll hopefully be able to remember which one is which Numpad key when I see them in the Actions list in REAPER.
rommmcek

27 Oct 2020, 11:51

Did you try to change Keyboard/driver...? Some members don't experience such behavior neither do I.
mmmax

27 Oct 2020, 12:42

rommmcek wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 11:51
Did you try to change Keyboard/driver...? Some members don't experience such behavior neither do I.
Please let me know your system specs and which driver you are using so I can try it. Thanks!
rommmcek

28 Oct 2020, 19:15

Sorry, previous answer was ment to an other thread!
For you I copied my OS config/ kbd. driver: [Edit: expired]

P.s.: Pease edit your post with quote!
Last edited by rommmcek on 06 Nov 2020, 12:11, edited 4 times in total.
mmmax

28 Oct 2020, 20:31

rommmcek wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 19:15
Sorry, previous answer was ment to an other thread!
For you I copied my OS config/ kbd. driver:

Thanks, rommmcek! Hopefully this info will help lead me to a solution to this issue.
Last edited by mmmax on 29 Oct 2020, 00:15, edited 2 times in total.
rommmcek

28 Oct 2020, 20:42

Yes you guessed! See my edited post above! Please edit your quote in previous post! Thanks and sorry!

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”