multi file copy functions in single AHK

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
drewjbx1

multi file copy functions in single AHK

26 Oct 2020, 16:44

I'm new to AHK and hoping to get some help...it would seem pretty simple what I am trying to do. I basically want to copy a couple of specific files to a backup folder... then copy all files/folders to the destination folder where I need it, overwrite is enabled. The first 2 lines of code I attempted this but it doesn't work.. its being ignored, do I need to add a pause or what am I missing.

Code: Select all

FileCopy, D:\Launchbox\Data\Playlists\Favorites.xml, D:\[ LB Data Backup ]\Data\Playlists\
FileCopy, D:\Launchbox\Data\Playlists\Family Favorites.xml, D:\[ LB Data Backup ]\Data\Playlists\

ErrorCount := CopyFilesAndFolders("D:\[ LB Data Backup ]\Data\*.*", "D:\Launchbox\Data")
if (ErrorCount != 0)
    MsgBox %ErrorCount% files/folders could not be copied.

CopyFilesAndFolders(SourcePattern, DestinationFolder, DoOverwrite = true)
; Copies all files and folders matching SourcePattern into the folder named DestinationFolder and
; returns the number of files/folders that could not be copied.
{
    ; First copy all the files (but not the folders):
    FileCopy, %SourcePattern%, %DestinationFolder%, %DoOverwrite%
    ErrorCount := ErrorLevel
    ; Now copy all the folders:
    Loop, %SourcePattern%, 2  ; 2 means "retrieve folders only".
    {
        FileCopyDir, %A_LoopFileFullPath%, %DestinationFolder%\%A_LoopFileName%, %DoOverwrite%
        ErrorCount += ErrorLevel
        if ErrorLevel  ; Report each problem folder by name.
            MsgBox Could not copy %A_LoopFileFullPath% into %DestinationFolder%.
    }
    return ErrorCount
}
boiler

Re: multi file copy functions in single AHK

26 Oct 2020, 16:49

Try without the \ on the end of the destination path. The name of the destination folder does not include a \ on the end. Make sure the destination folder exists.
mikeyww

26 Oct 2020, 16:56

Since your first line failed, this should be easy to debug. You can try the following to break it down.

source = D:\Launchbox\Data\Playlists\Favorites.xml
target = D:\[ LB Data Backup ]\Data\Playlists
MsgBox, 0, Info, % "Source: " FileExist(source) "`n`nTarget: " FileExist(target)
You might see something like the following.
Attachments
image201026-1754-001.png
image201026-1754-001.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 341 times
drewjbx1

26 Oct 2020, 17:23

boiler wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 16:49
Try without the \ on the end of the destination path. The name of the destination folder does not include a \ on the end. Make sure the destination folder exists.
That didn't seem to work
mikeyww wrote: Since your first line failed, this should be easy to debug. You can try the following to break it down.

source = D:\Launchbox\Data\Playlists\Favorites.xml
target = D:\[ LB Data Backup ]\Data\Playlists
MsgBox, 0, Info, % "Source: " FileExist(source) "`n`nTarget: " FileExist(target)
You might see something like the following.
Yes I do see the same dialogue box... what exactly does that mean?
Chunjee

26 Oct 2020, 18:25

One thing I did that worked well was used ahk to launch a CLI instance of RoboCopy (comes with Win 7, etc) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/robocopy

It was something like Run, %COMSPEC% /c Robocopy %fromDir%, %destinationDir%, %options%

It was a little more robust than ahk trying to copy-paste files. Since it was over a network connection it needed some retry options built in.
mikeyww

26 Oct 2020, 18:35

I use Robocopy routinely, too. It works well and quickly, and also has built-in options to update files while not overwriting newer ones. The console display can be handy as well. ComSpec might not always be necessary; Robocopy can be found at %A_WinDir%\System32\Robocopy.exe.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”