New User -- Need help with using the "fn" key on lapt0p

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
djclinton18

New User -- Need help with using the "fn" key on lapt0p

15 Apr 2021, 11:12

Hi. Six months ago, I had to get a new Dell laptop computer. I feel as though I’m starting off looking like an idiot because I’m not sure if all laptop computers have an, “fn” key, or if it’s just on Del’sl laptops. Anyway, unlike my previous Dell laptop where I had access to using the F-keys/function keys (F1, F2,. . .), but I could not use the multimedia keys. When I got this new Dell laptop at first, I didn’t understand why I couldn’t use the “F1” to “F12” keys, but I could use my multimedia keys. It took me a day or so to realize my F-keys now needed to be used in combination with holding down the, “fn” key. This is a big obstacle for me because see, I'm physically disabled/quadriplegic, I type with a head stick/pointer. Thereby, I can only hit one key at a time. I might not need to explain, as far back as Windows 95, Microsoft has a feature built into every version of Windows OS called, Sticky Keys, which can be located under Ease of Access in Settings. When Sticky Keys are turned on allowing the user to press and release a modifier key, such as Shift, Ctrl, Alt, or the Windows key, and have it remained active until any other key is pressed. Sticky Keys of course doesn’t apply with the “fn” key.

With someone’s assistance “separately” pressing the “fn” key & then hitting Esc, which did invert from the multimedia function keys to the F-keys. So I do realize that I could invert back to having the F-keys back, except I like very much having access to the multimedia keys, which (again) I didn’t have access to on my Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop because I couldn’t hold down the “fn” key & press one of the F keys. On that laptop I could use the F keys, but not the multimedia function keys. Now with this new laptop, the “fn” key is reversed. It’s a choice I had to make because of my physical limitations. I did contact Dell & shared my concerns & someone did respond to me & suggested using AutoHotKeys. This individual wasn’t too familiar with AutoHotKeys but did provide a script for using AutoHotKeys. A script was written out for me, but I could never get it to work for me. The script was written out for me to hit Ctrl + Alt + 1 to trigger the F1 key, Ctrl + Alt + 2 to trigger the F2 key, & so on up to number 0/F10. For me to trigger the F11 key, I had to hit Ctrl + Alt + “-“ (the minus key) & for me to trigger the F12 I had to hit Ctrl + Alt + “+“ (the plus key)
Here is the script if anyone could revise it for me?
------------------------------------

Code: Select all

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

<^#1::Send {F1}
<^#2::Send {F2}
<^#3::Send {F3}
<^#4::Send {F4}
<^#5::Send {F5}
<^#6::Send {F6}
<^#7::Send {F7}
<^#8::Send {F8}
<^#9::Send {F9}
<^#0::Send {F10}
<^#-::Send {F11}
<^#=::Send {F12}
[Mod edit: [code][/code] tags added.]
--------------------------------------------------------

Also, I might just want to have one AutoHotKey to be able to invert back & forth between the F-keys & the multimedia keys. To trigger me to be able to invert back & forth between the F-keys & the multimedia keys involves the “fn” key & the “esc” key. I would definitely like to be able to utilize them both! I’m open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by gregster on 15 Apr 2021, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved to 'Ask For Help'.
mikeyww

Re: New User -- Need help with using the "fn" key on lapt0p

15 Apr 2021, 11:39

Fn may or may not be manageable.

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=81807

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=367333#p367333

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=59644

In AHK, # represents Win as a key modifier, and ! represents Alt. You could make that switch.

On some computers, the BIOS will allow you to toggle the default key set relating to Fn.
iseahound

15 Apr 2021, 11:57

You need to go into the BIOS and have that functionality reverted. Or try this:
Change the Function key behavior using the Windows Mobility Center.

To open the Windows Mobility Center, open the Run box, type mblctr and hit Enter. Goes without saying that you can also access it via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Windows Mobility Center > Adjust commonly used mobility settings.

Under Function Key Row, from the drop-down menu, select the Function key instead of Multimedia key.

In this way, you will be able to interchange, swap or inverse keyboard Function and Multi-media keys on Dell laptops.
Source: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-function-key-behavior-windows-laptops#:~:text=1%5D%20Via%20BIOS,Multimedia%20key%20to%20Function%20key.
djclinton18

16 Apr 2021, 14:51

Replying back to iseahound thread thanks for your suggestion. Although I’m not too fond of your solution I tried it out anyway but, in my mblctr window I did not see anywhere I could change my Function key behavior. Here’s a pic of my mblctr: Nevermind, I'm not sure how to add a pic. When I click on the, Insert Image button I just get, Image In fact, I don't understand why I cannot utilize any of the tools above the text box...? Anyway, I can tell that all I see on my mblctr is, Brightness, Volume, Battery Status, Extended Display, & Sync Center. That's it! If I may say & by no means am I placing any blame & although I understand what was said above regarding this is more of a manufacturing issue vs. an issue with Windows. Yet, I'm a little surprised & disappointed that AutoHotKeys couldn't resolve my issue. Nonetheless, I thank you & others for replying to my post! :D
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 3403 times
image.png
image.png (36.56 KiB) Viewed 3403 times

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”