"input" command doesn't get the pressed key (resolved)

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
rhl

"input" command doesn't get the pressed key (resolved)

17 Apr 2021, 07:43

I'd like to share another little find of mine. Allow, here again, for my remark that admins should integrate such little tricks and hints into the help file (here: into the "send" item), where they could be found much easier when needed. So:

I have assigned even "regular" a...z / 1...0 keys to routines, for special situations; as I said in another hint, this is possible on a fast pc, even for quite fast typing:

Code: Select all

$a::
if ...
    gosub, ...
else
    send, a ; so this should be sendevent, a
return
Then, I have, in some other routine,

Code: Select all

input, e, L1 T1.3, {esc}
; maxlength=1 char, timeout=1.3s, esc will terminate
if ( errorlevel != "Max" )
    return
if ( e = "..." )
etc.
This routine works for e = b...z or 0...9, but NOT for e = a; obviously, the above assignment blocks the input within the "input" command, even when the special condition of that assignment above is not met.

Thus, I tried the different variants of "send", with the result that send, sendinput, sendplay, sendraw in a key assignment all prevent sending the keystroke within the "input" command, whilst sendevent does not; this behavior is persistent between different keys, "a" being just an example here. Hence:

If you intent to also use a key within the "input" command, use sendevent to send the key in a possible key assignment for that key.
boiler

Re: "input" command doesn't get the pressed key (resolved)

17 Apr 2021, 08:43

It seems that this should go in the Tips and Tricks sub-forum instead of this sub-forum (and also not in the documentation/help file).

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”