Split string into array using regular expression (variable) delimiters

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Nixcalo

Split string into array using regular expression (variable) delimiters

08 May 2021, 00:13

Hi everyone:

I have a string such as this one:

String:= <TAG1G><TAG3G>Conjunto de motor de bomba<TAG3G><TAG2G>317-8494<TAG2G><TAG1G>

I need to create a array where the first element of the array is <TAG1G>, the second is <TAG3G>, the third is Conjunto de motor de bomba, the fourth is <TAG3G>, the fifth is <TAG2G>, the sixth is 317-8494, the seventh is <TAG2G> and the eighth is <TAG1G>.

Of course, another string might be "This is a <TAG1G>BLAST!<TAG1G>". You get the drill, I need to split the string using <TAG<number>G> as delimiters, but contrary to what StrSplit does, I need the delimiters to be part of the array. And they might be <TAG1G>, <TAG2G>, etc. Also, the number of array elements is not fixed. And the number of tags occurrences such as <TAG1G>, <TAG8G>, etc. varies from zero to any number (there may be strings without any tags, or strings with several).
The reason is that I need to be able to operate with elements of the array independently (in this case, for example, I would need to apply a change to Title Format to the array element "Conjunto de motor de bomba" and that's the only way I can think to do it, that is, splitting the string in array elements, finding the one I need to modify, modifying it and then reconstructing the array.

The thing is that I only know how to use Loop, Parse or StrSplit, and I have no idea how to expand those. I have an inkling that perhaps RegexMatch() must be involved somehow, but it's more complicated than I thought...
flyingDman

Re: Split string into array using regular expression (variable) delimiters

08 May 2021, 01:32

Would this help?:

Code: Select all

var = This is a <TAG1G><TAG3G>Conjunto de motor de bomba<TAG3G><TAG2G>317-8494<TAG2G><TAG1G>

a := strsplit(var, [">", "<"])
b := []
for x,y in a
	if instr(y,"tag")
		b.push("<" y ">")
	else if y
		b.push(y)

for t,u in b
	msgbox % u

14.3 & 1.3.7
Nixcalo

08 May 2021, 01:47

Seems amazing although I have to study it carefully. I have no idea why it works, but it definitely seems to work! I am going to study it before setting this post as "Solved"... and I have to do some testing... and I have to try to understand how you did it so beautifully and simply and ingeniously.
Chunjee

08 May 2021, 01:57

https://biga-ahk.github.io/biga.ahk/#/?id=split allows for splitting with a regex separator.

Since there is nothing on the left side of "<TAG1G>" it may also require the empty values to be removed.

Code: Select all

A := new biga() ; requires https://www.npmjs.com/package/biga.ahk

String := "<TAG1G><TAG3G>Conjunto de motor de bomba<TAG3G><TAG2G>317-8494<TAG2G><TAG1G>"
Array := A.split(String, "/<[TAG\>\<0-9]+>/")
; => ["", "Conjunto de motor de bomba", "317-8494", ""]
Array := A.compact(Array)
; => ["Conjunto de motor de bomba", "317-8494"]
flyingDman

08 May 2021, 02:09

You may want to replace the if instr(y,"tag") with if y~="TAG\d+G"
14.3 & 1.3.7

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”