Possible to script a refresh desktop (f5'esque) upon files being downloaded somehow?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
klepp0906

Possible to script a refresh desktop (f5'esque) upon files being downloaded somehow?

08 May 2021, 06:44

So i've battled this issue for about ever. Each time I thought I solved it, no bueno. Turns out large files (>50mb) seem to appear on the desktop properly but anything smaller (99% of downloaded files) do not appear on the desktop until a manual refresh is done either via right click > refresh or hitting F5.

I'd love a way to automate this in the background but it goes above my paygrade.

Anyone able to chime in on whether or not this is possible and if so, help out with a (hopefully) simple script?
klepp0906

Re: Possible to script a refresh desktop (f5'esque) upon files being downloaded somehow?

08 May 2021, 13:26

lol.. yea.

I've been through those every time ive revisited this over the years so to speak. Its present on more than 1 of my pc's and its a innate windows issue that goes back a long time (google that).

Even when people get it to function by following one of those "fixes" its often only temporary. Hence me finally turning to a solution such as this.

I appreciate the whole "simplest solution is the most likely" approach but yea.. been there done that.

The desktop "will" refresh. I can create folders. Move files to and fro, and change my wallpaper fine etc. Its only when downloading and only when downloading TO the desktop. Even if I download to a folder on the desktop im okay. The desktop itself is the problem.

I need something that detects a change to the desktop and refreshes or something along those lines.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”