Simple and quick way to protect program

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
bazkeys

Simple and quick way to protect program

25 Jul 2021, 20:53

I want to share an app with a couple of friends, and though I trust the people in question, I do realise sharing an app is like sharing a secret, once it's out there, you can't guarantee it stays amongst those you initially shared it with. I am aware there's a webinar on the site related to this, and although I'm sure it's great, I gather it goes much further than what I currently require.
I don't need to do anything high tech with licensing or complicated protection stuff just right now, as I've already spent more time than I can afford coding in recent weeks, so some simple protection would be fine. I was thinking maybe just to add some code to stop working after a certain date, would that be a good idea, or is there any other better low tech quick and easy solutions?
mikeyww

Re: Simple and quick way to protect program

25 Jul 2021, 21:01

Methods abound. You can use the date, a registry entry, a password, a hash code, machine ID, etc. Choose your weapon. Examples are on the forum, including some date examples. A popular approach for date seems to be getting the date from a Web site that displays or returns timestamps-- requires Internet-- so that the user cannot simply change the computer's time.
SirSocks

25 Jul 2021, 22:24

Here's one way to make your script expire.

Code: Select all

ExpireDate := 20210728120000 ; year month day hour minute seconds 
if ( A_NOW >= ExpireDate )
{
    ExitApp
}
bazkeys

26 Jul 2021, 04:28

@SirSocks
Thanks, that's a nice simple way to start

Also thanks @mikeyww they are some nice solid ways to go. I'll look into it further when I have time, my app is not quite ready yet anyway, but good to know what options are available when the time comes.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”