How do you install and use Xpdf?

Get help with using AutoHotkey and its commands and hotkeys
danotto94

How do you install and use Xpdf?

16 Sep 2015, 10:26

I don't understand the instructions. I downloaded the Windows version, copied the unzipped folder to a newly-created Xpdf folder in program files, pasted, and typing xpdf or one of the binary titles says command not found.
JoeWinograd

Re: How do you install and use Xpdf?

16 Sep 2015, 13:56

The command is not Xpdf. The name Xpdf is simply the overall name for the set of utilities, which is composed of these nine commands:

pdfdetach.exe
pdffonts.exe
pdfimages.exe
pdfinfo.exe
pdftohtml.exe
pdftopng.exe
pdftoppm.exe
pdftops.exe
pdftotext.exe

There are three subfolders in the download:

bin32
bin64
doc

The first is the 32-bit binaries; the second is the 64-bit binaries; the third is the documentation (plain text files).

I asked the author of the tools about 32-bit vs. 64-bit, especially for the two tools I use the most (pdfinfo.exe and pdftotext.exe), and here are his exact words (which he gave me permission to share):

"There's not really any reason to use the 64-bit binaries. For the rasterizer (pdftoppm, and also used in pdftops), there may be some cases where it needs to allocate large chunks of memory. But for pdfinfo and pdftotext, I don't think you'll run into that."

I have written many AHK scripts that use RunWait to call the Xpdf utilities - works perfectly! Regards, Joe

Update: I just realized that I may have misunderstood your question. If you typed in one of the nine commands and it said command not found, it's probably because you weren't in the bin32 or bin64 folder when you ran the command (i.e., the binaries are not in the root folder). Regards, Joe

Return to “Ask For Help”