Error when pulling the URL and using strReplace on it Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
BrockPlaysFortnite

Error when pulling the URL and using strReplace on it

01 Dec 2021, 02:27

Hey guys using this code to get the browsers URL, find a word, swap it with another word, then reload the page with the new URL.
Forum Link to URL grabber: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3702

Was wondering if there is anything obviously wrong here. I get an error that says "the following variable contains an illegal character" and the name of the variable is the actual URL instead of replacedURL. Also, if I run the code outside of a browser so that it returns no URL the program gets to stringreplacecount, shows a 0, then exits. I'm guessing the problem is simple syntax 🤔

Code: Select all

in main.ahk
----------------------
+1::sort("time")
+2::sort("prem")
+3::sort("size")

in functions.ahk
-------------------
sort(type){

URL := getURL() ;we now have the url in the variable "URL" from the geturl code in that link I posted above 
MsgBox %URL% ;this message box shows the URL correctly so it seems to be working

if (type = "time"){ ;here is where something breaks but I am not sure what 
	replacedURL := StrReplace(%URL%, &order=Prem, &order=time, stringReplaceCount) ;this is the line the error points to

MsgBox % stringReplaceCount ;testing here to see if it worked but we never get to this msgbox

;MsgBox % replacedURL
	}
}

; getURL code is down here from the forum link above. Returns the URL when called. Seems to be working correctly. 

boiler

Re: Error when pulling the URL and using strReplace on it  Topic is solved

01 Dec 2021, 02:39

You’re right that this line is a problem:

replacedURL := StrReplace(%URL%, &order=Prem, &order=time, stringReplaceCount)
You wouldn’t put % around URL. For the next two parameters, literal strings need to be in quotes. So it would be:

replacedURL := StrReplace(URL, "&order=Prem", "&order=time", stringReplaceCount)

Function parameters use expression syntax. See details here.
BrockPlaysFortnite

Re: Error when pulling the URL and using strReplace on it

01 Dec 2021, 03:29

boiler wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 02:39
You’re right that this line is a problem:

replacedURL := StrReplace(%URL%, &order=Prem, &order=time, stringReplaceCount)
You wouldn’t put % around URL. For the next two parameters, literal strings need to be in quotes. So it would be:

replacedURL := StrReplace(URL, "&order=Prem", "&order=time", stringReplaceCount)

Function parameters use expression syntax. See details here.
Beautiful, this worked. Thanks!
Fortnite Youtuber BrockPlaysFortnite :D | AHK completely redefined the way I do things. What used to take me hours to do over and over can now be done with the click of a button. Don't give up! It's worth learning it front to back :wave:
(Note: I'm still a noob so my code may suck sometimes and there is almost assuredly a better way to do it)

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”