Not starting up with computer because of message box.

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
dangerdogL2121

Not starting up with computer because of message box.

13 Dec 2013, 18:14

On a different computer than mine, I had a program in the startup folder, and restarted the computer. When the program tried to run on startup, it couldn't because the computer wouldn't let the program run until the user clicked run on a message box. Is there a way to avoid this. Perhaps make the computer trust the program enough to make the program start up without a message box? Maybe I need to somehow identify the publisher(me). Has anyone had this problem before and solved it?
thanks
SKAN

Re: Not starting up with computer because of message box.

13 Dec 2013, 18:21

What Program?
What Message?

Wild guess: If it was a program downloaded from internet, you will have to "unblock" it by selecting right-click>properties from explorer context menu.
My Scripts and Functions: V1  V2
dangerdogL2121

14 Dec 2013, 23:22

Your wild guess was right.

Program: Speed Startup from my website. http://datadogscomputerprograms.webs.com/speed-startup
Message: A message that says, "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?"

Is there any way to have the script unblock itself the first time it runs? Maybe have the script open the properties then have it click the unblock button. If there was another way to unblock the script without going to properties, that would be best.
thanks
SKAN

15 Dec 2013, 05:53

dangerdogL2121 wrote:Your wild guess was right.
Here is more info:
Unblock is not needed if the file was downloaded to FAT32 file system. ( My USB flash drives are mostly FAT32 ).
In NTFS, the user should have write access to unblock a file. If a downloaded file is placed in folder with no write access ( like in C:\ ), most probably, explorer.exe will have to elevated to apply the unblock.
dangerdogL2121 wrote:Is there any way to have the script unblock itself the first time it runs?
It depends! The following snippet is enough as long as %A_ScriptDir% has write access.

Code: Select all

IniRead, ZoneID, %A_ScriptFullpath%:Zone.Identifier, ZoneTransfer, ZoneID
IfEqual, ZoneID, 3, FileDelete, %A_ScriptFullpath%:Zone.Identifier

; regular code below 
MsgBox Hello World
Above snippet compiled: HelloWorld.exe

Explanation:
When HelloWorld.exe is downloaded to a NTFS drive partition, an ini file HelloWorld.exe:Zone.Identifier is created in ADS ( Alternate Data Stream ) with following data.

Code: Select all

[ZoneTransfer]
ZoneID=3
The two liner code tries to IniRead the data, and if successful deletes it.
More info: http://www.sandersonforensics.com/Files ... tifier.pdf

:)
dangerdogL2121

16 Dec 2013, 12:26

I don't understand it completely, but I mostly get it. An Ini file is made that has info about the file, whether it is from the internet, and other things. Getting rid of that file will allow the computer to run the program without having to ask the user for permission.
Thanks SKAN ;)
SKAN

16 Dec 2013, 21:00

dangerdogL2121 wrote:An Ini file is made that has info about the file, whether it is from the internet, and other things. Getting rid of that file will allow the computer to run the program without having to ask the user for permission.
Yes. These ADS data names can be listed from command prompt with dir /r or for a specific file like dir /r "Speed Startup.exe"

You can also save your own compiled/un-compiled script's data into this ADS:
autohotkey.com->[Trick] Hide Ini file as part of the script file

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”