Are there any negative impacts when using the .value when filling fields in a website.

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Nivol

Are there any negative impacts when using the .value when filling fields in a website.

31 Jul 2021, 10:39

Hi, I introduced AHK to my manager at work and she is very enthusiastic about the possible applications.

One application is data entry from a desktop application into fields of a 3rd party website our firm uses to record some of our transactions.

To do this I learned how to do the comobject create for IE and doing the query selector.value := 'thedata' to place the specific numbers and words into the correct fields of the website page. We tested the script and it records everything perfectly in a results page after we click submit.

My question is if I should be concerned if this method can mess anything up for the company that provides the data entry web service?

I read that excessive data input can perhaps strain servers or something, but I highly doubt that will be an issue in this case because the volume of information being inputted is the same. The only difference is that it is done automatically instead of manually which saves us time.

Any insight into how setting the value for a field in this manner can cause problems on the backend for the service provider? Is this method even detectable?

I'm a little cautious because I have a very limited understanding of how websites work and I don't want to cause problems for a service we use on a daily basis.
swagfag

Re: Are there any negative impacts when using the .value when filling fields in a website.

31 Jul 2021, 18:41

anything u do with a computer is traceable. they can check the useragent, they can track heuristics(how fast ure submitting something, how ure submitting something)

Return to “General Discussion”