AHK Versions

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
boiler

Re: AHK Versions

Post by boiler » 27 Aug 2022, 19:50

lexikos wrote: Why are objects different? It's just a matter of using slightly different patterns, like preceding the "sub-command" with the name of the GUI (variable).

I can believe that learning about objects in abstract could be difficult, as explanation of the concepts can be dry and impractical. But learning how to create a GUI, or use an array, or whatever else learned by example, shouldn't be any more difficult with objects than it was with commands that have inconsistently mixed syntax.

I think the biggest barriers to learning are self-imposed, or a matter of perception.
I agree, and I think learning v2 in general would be easier for beginners, mainly because of the consistent syntax. I just think that there are users of v1 who feel like objects/arrays are a mystery only because they didn’t dip their toes in the water and find out that the water is actually fine (and better).

Ben the Coder

Post by Ben the Coder » 28 Aug 2022, 09:35

Yeah, you're right about everything you've said so far.
Thanks everyone for their help! :)

kashmirLZ

Post by kashmirLZ » 25 Oct 2022, 02:19

If you want AHKv2 adoption to happen faster, then you simply have to teach newcomers V2 from the start.

Look at this tutorial link up top. It's still pointing to v1. We're inadvertently pushing people towards a (soon-to-be) legacy programming language.

Take example from how other programming languages have made the switch. Start introducing V2 by default. Then more guides, examples, script libraries, and a large codebase will naturally follow.
We just have to be more proactive about it.

boiler

Post by boiler » 25 Oct 2022, 03:49

kashmirLZ wrote: Start introducing V2 by default.
That can’t be done while it’s still in beta release.

Return to “General Discussion”