There's no official Macro Recorder for AH 2, correct?

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
AHKExplorer

There's no official Macro Recorder for AH 2, correct?

Post by AHKExplorer » 15 Aug 2023, 12:46

Hi,

There are no usable recorders yet, for version 2? Am I correct about that?

AHKExplorer

Re: There's no official Macro Recorder for AH 2, correct?

Post by AHKExplorer » 17 Aug 2023, 09:58

If anyone's interested, I tried MacroWin, and it does NOT write ahk code after recording, for any version of ahk. It's a nice app with a decent price, but it won't simplify (as far as I can see so far) your ahk development.

I just purchased jitbit, which does macro recording and lets you edit the code afterwards. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with Autohotkey, but I'll wait for an official ahk recorder before trying again to learn the language.

There was another really useful utility, TinyTask, a few years ago. It's still available, on the web. The developer was building a more advanced version of it, an ide with debugging capabilities.

I donated to them every month, but eventually they had to shut down shop because Google was making it impossible to generate sufficient revenue.

I never found out the author's name, so it's impossible to contribute further, but it looked like they were building something unique.
Attachments
TinyTask_Google.jpg
TinyTask_Google.jpg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

gregster

Post by gregster » 17 Aug 2023, 10:08

I am not sure what you mean by "official" - but even for AHK v1 there hasn't been a macro recorder included in the installation package for the last 12 or 13 years, if I remember correctly. That's the most official it ever got. All other recorders after that were in no way "official" - just created by various AHK users.
For the future, I wouldn't expect any "official" recorder at all. But individual users will surely come up with some solutions of varying complexity.

AHKExplorer

Post by AHKExplorer » 17 Aug 2023, 11:31

Thanks Greg,

I thought of Pullover as a sort of official version, even thought it was third party.

A forum entry seemed to indicate there was a way of effectively recording a v2 macro, but recording a v1 first, then applying a conversion tool. But I tried that, and it asks me to install v1. Too convoluted, so I'm hoping there will be a v2 third party recorder that will serve as the standard recorder.

gregster wrote:
17 Aug 2023, 10:08
I am not sure what you mean by "official" - but even for AHK v1 there hasn't been a macro recorder included in the installation package for the last 12 or 13 years, if I remember correctly. That's the most official it ever got. All other recorders after that were in no way "official" - just created by various AHK users.
For the future, I wouldn't expect any "official" recorder at all. But individual users will surely come up with some solutions of varying complexity.

Return to “General Discussion”