Coding languages that are alternatives to AHK

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
fernsehen123

Coding languages that are alternatives to AHK

11 Feb 2023, 01:16

Hi all,

I am curious if I could stop coding with AHK and convert all my scripts to another language.
If that is possible, which languages (and frameworks) could work?

To be explicit, which languages/frameworks could be used to create a program that is equivalent to this AHK script:

Code: Select all

a::b
I think that for Java programs you always have to be inside the application so that it works.
Or is there any way to overwrite Hotkey inputs with Java?

I guess there would be a way with C#?
You all suggest to just stick with AHK?
Any opinions? :wave:
SandyClams

Re: Coding languages that are alternatives to AHK

11 Feb 2023, 02:23

there is no other language or utility that allows for assigning hotkeys with nearly the same ease as with AutoHotkey, at least not on Windows. The closest equivalent that comes to mind is JavaScript, which does allow you to listen for key input events and run custom subroutines when they occur, but you can't do it outside of your web browser, and even there you're not going to completely remap your keys without some serious work.
swagfag

11 Feb 2023, 03:57

any language that allows u to interface with the winapi
boiler

11 Feb 2023, 14:11

It’s hard to answer without knowing your motivation for wanting to switch from AHK and especially to take the time to translate existing code. You could write everything in C++ and use AHK’s source code directly for whatever functionality you want to replicate, but why would you go to that effort?
william_ahk

14 Feb 2023, 21:37

I recommend sticking to AHK. Registering global hotkeys is much more difficult in other languages.
fernsehen123

02 Apr 2023, 09:21

SandyClams wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 02:23
there is no other language or utility that allows for assigning hotkeys with nearly the same ease as with AutoHotkey, at least not on Windows.
Do you have ideas for MacOs?
boiler wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 14:11
It’s hard to answer without knowing your motivation for wanting to switch from AHK and especially to take the time to translate existing code. You could write everything in C++ and use AHK’s source code directly for whatever functionality you want to replicate, but why would you go to that effort?
Well, I thought about weather it's possible to do everything with Java, because I prefer the Java syntax.
C++ might not be that easy for me. But I would get more possibilities... But I think this was just a crazy idea and I won't follow it.

This answers from SandyClams and william_ahk are kind of what i've been looking for.

Return to “General Discussion”