I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Gandolf

I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

06 Dec 2023, 00:10

Converting to Version 2 is a NO-NO!!
I attempted to convert a couple of my scripts. It didn't work. The AHK scripts in Version 2 were a joke! I wasted time "investigating and manually changing" them to get something that "sort of worked". I might just as well have started from scratch in Version 2.

Why is it not backwards compatible? It's pointless if Version 1 scripts don't run.

It's a different program, not an updated version. It is NOT AutoHotkey. It should be given a different name.

I use AHK to speed up operation, having to manually convert dozens of scripts (some very large) is NOT practical. I can't afford to waste that sort of time.

Are there syntax files for text editors? I haven't seen any for Version 2.

Unless a GUARANTEED converter from Version 1 to Version 2 is available, and syntax files, I see no point in even thinking about using Version 2. I'll stay with Version 1. If it's no longer supported, then I will no longer donate to AHK. You are the looser.

END OF SUBJECT!
boiler

Re: I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

06 Dec 2023, 03:15

Relax. No one is forcing you to switch.

In case your questions were not rhetorical, the answers to much of — and maybe everything — that you asked about can be found in this announcement.

Gandolf wrote: Are there syntax files for text editors? I haven't seen any for Version 2.
There are several editors with full support of v2. See Editors with AutoHotkey Support from the v2 documentation.
ccchan234

06 Dec 2023, 12:44

Gandolf wrote:
Converting to Version 2 is a NO-NO!!
I attempted to convert a couple of my scripts. It didn't work. The AHK scripts in Version 2 were a joke! I wasted time "investigating and manually changing" them to get something that "sort of worked". I might just as well have started from scratch in Version 2.

Why is it not backwards compatible? It's pointless if Version 1 scripts don't run.

It's a different program, not an updated version. It is NOT AutoHotkey. It should be given a different name.

I use AHK to speed up operation, having to manually convert dozens of scripts (some very large) is NOT practical. I can't afford to waste that sort of time.

Are there syntax files for text editors? I haven't seen any for Version 2.

Unless a GUARANTEED converter from Version 1 to Version 2 is available, and syntax files, I see no point in even thinking about using Version 2. I'll stay with Version 1. If it's no longer supported, then I will no longer donate to AHK. You are the looser.

END OF SUBJECT!
[Mod edit: Removed insulting, uncalled-for statement.]

btw, i have the same idea that v1 is enough, v2 is overkill.
you may see my older posts.
ccchan234

06 Dec 2023, 13:13

Gandolf wrote:
[Mod edit: Shortened redundant quote.]

btw, in contrast to those old school people,
gpt4 rocks.
and it improves over time.
i can see that in every several months when gpt4 display it's database got updated.
RussF

06 Dec 2023, 15:01

ccchan234 wrote: btw, in contrast to those old school people,
gpt4 rocks.
Ah yes, these "old school people" - the ones who have actually taken the time to learn the language and understand the syntax. You know - the ones you come looking for help from when your gpt crap doesn't work - which is 95% of the time.

Russ
ccchan234

06 Dec 2023, 19:07

RussF wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 15:01
ccchan234 wrote: btw, in contrast to those old school people,
gpt4 rocks.
Ah yes, these "old school people" - the ones who have actually taken the time to learn the language and understand the syntax. You know - the ones you come looking for help from when your gpt crap doesn't work - which is 95% of the time.

Russ
you know, when new things come out,
it hurt someone's interest, so there is argument.
ccchan234

06 Dec 2023, 19:08

ccchan234 wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 13:13
Gandolf wrote:
[Mod edit: Shortened redundant quote.]

btw, in contrast to those old school people,
gpt4 rocks.
and it improves over time.
i can see that in every several months when gpt4 display it's database got updated.
this time, i am like the guy on tiktok e.g.
i really want to ask others what do they do for living?

how can every post every words be censored?
already some sort of AI applied?

Return to “General Discussion”