Do you guys buy commercial software or determined to DIY everything? possible?

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
joyrr5092

Do you guys buy commercial software or determined to DIY everything? possible?

15 Feb 2024, 10:37

short version:
I've found AHK to be incredibly powerful, often outperforming tools written in other languages, especially for creating launchers and sending macros with commands like Send/CtrlSend. Despite this, I still rely on a mix of freemium, FOSS, and commercial software for broader needs.

Recently, I've added Groupy2, Coodesker, and MS PowerToys to my toolkit, complementing my previous use of Listary. My macro setup also includes MediaChance's MKM, which I've frequently recommended, alongside utilities like Ditto and Snipaste for clipboard management and screen capture.

I'm particularly impressed with Groupy2 for its ability to group windows into Chrome-like tabs, enhancing my workflow with multi-tab file management in Explorer.

I'm curious about the community's thoughts on AHK versus commercial tools for specific tasks. What functionalities do you think warrant investing in commercial software over AHK scripts?

or would be good if someone already discussed else where in the forum and could point me there.
thank you.

=================
TL;DR.

ahk is good, and even out perform many programs written in other languages.
one point for me is that launchers written in ahk could still use Send/CtrlSend to send macros, which may be harder for other languages like python.

however, there still some programs, freemium/foss/commercial that i still rely on.

recently i bought groupy2, coodesker,
MS powertoys.

previously listary.

my other part of macro world is mediachance's MKM, which i introduced many times.

some also ditto, snipaste.

what ELSE could not easily be done or could, so
i should bought commercial ones and NOT?

pls advise thanks.

ps i just found groupy2 really really great, basically it binds several window e.g. excel into chrome alike tabs.
since it make window explorer works like multi tab, it's now easier to copy between folders.

or would be good if someone already discussed else where in the forum.

[Mod edit: Moved topic to 'General Discussion'.]
joyrr5092

Re: Do you guys buy commercial software or determined to DIY everything? possible?

15 Feb 2024, 11:01

joyrr5092 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:37
[Mod edit: Removed long quote of the previous post. Please use quotes more selectively.]

ps, i just searched, that listary's only function useful to me indeep could be done in ahk,
which is someone's quick switch script.

it's also inside QAP <--- but too fat, too heavy.

however i doubt ahk could perform what groupy could do...
thanks

Return to “General Discussion”