Choice of font colors in forum posts

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
gregster

Choice of font colors in forum posts

01 Mar 2024, 06:15

This discussion was splitted from an unrelated help request.
gregster wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 15:20
@konafa100, regarding forum use: Using specific font colors is not ideal. Some dark colors can be hard to read for forum users with dark forum themes (same with light colors on the lighter themes) while the standard font color gets changed for them automatically. Less is sometimes more.
Another reminder that your use of font colors is not ideal if you want other forum users to actually read your question:

not readable.png
not readable.png (6.38 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Last edited by gregster on 01 Mar 2024, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved from unrelated topic
konafa100

Re: Help : how to make me script work in the background

01 Mar 2024, 07:13

gregster wrote:
gregster wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 15:20
@konafa100, regarding forum use: Using specific font colors is not ideal. Some dark colors can be hard to read for forum users with dark forum themes (same with light colors on the lighter themes) while the standard font color gets changed for them automatically. Less is sometimes more.
Another reminder that your use of font colors is not ideal if you want other forum users to actually read your question:

not readable.png
@gregster yes bro i choose Dark colors ?? what shold i do -- u can remove all color from site - ok i will change it to Black only .. thx :facepalm:
gregster

01 Mar 2024, 08:37

Like suggested before, I would recommend to not specify any colors at all; or at least reduce it to a minimum, like other forum members do.

If you specify no color at all, the standard font will be altered automatically by the used forum theme to something that is readable, in my case whitish font on dark background.
The black font is still okay-ish on my dark theme, at least at my high zoom factor (it would be much better with the standard color, though), but the greenish/petrol-colored font pictured above is still barely readable.
V0RT3X

01 Mar 2024, 09:39

A visual to show why deliberately colored fonts are best left to when absolutely needed. Without changing the colors deliberately, they will auto-set to the best viewable contrasting font depending on the themed background being used.

Theme/board styles shown...
Dark theme = Digi
Light theme = Simplicity

image.png
image.png (69.93 KiB) Viewed 254 times
image.png
image.png (48.39 KiB) Viewed 254 times
konafa100

01 Mar 2024, 11:09

@gregster
What about reading the code - colored with code like this -
This must be changed through programming through you as well. Thank you

Code: Select all

#Persistent
SetTimer, PressTheKey, 200
Return

PressTheKey:
SoundBeep, 1500
WinGet, win, List, ahk_exe Nameof game.exe
Loop, %win% {
 WinActivate, % "ahk_id " win%A_Index%
Send,{RButton}
sleep, 10
Send,{LButton}
sleep, 10
send {LCtrl down}
sleep, 10
Send,{f10}{f10}
sleep, 10

}
Return
#1::Pause

1::Pause
gregster

01 Mar 2024, 17:36

konafa100 wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 11:09
@gregster
What about reading the code - colored with code like this -
This must be changed through programming through you as well. Thank you
Sure, but as you could try out, codeboxes already take care of this and adapt to the used forum theme (eg, black -> white). This is pretty readable (ignoring the low resolution of the image), wouldn't you say? Even better than in the bright themes, imo:

codeboxes.png
codeboxes.png (58.51 KiB) Viewed 224 times
(This picture also shows that the color of mentions gets changed automatically.)
But if you have suggestions for better color schemes in codeboxes in specific forum themes, you can of course suggest them in the 'Forum Issues' forum.

This kind of automatic color changes often wouldn't make sense in regular posts when specific colors are chosen via the color-tag, since we sometimes have to talk about RGB versus BGR format - a common confusion for beginners (eg "Is this really the color you are looking for? Or did you mix up color components?"). Then, all people involved should see the same color to be able to talk about it.

Also, the staff regularly uses red color to add comments to posts which were altered for moderation purposes; that's why it should be used sparingly by regular users. After all, medium Red, apart from being a good signal color, seems to be sufficiently readable in both bright and dark forum themes. That's unfortunately not true for all other colors.

The point is: Less distraction --> more efficient help. I am sure that your color choices were made with good intentions, but less is often more.

Of course, the choice of font colors is only one factor influencing the chances of getting fast and efficient help.

Return to “General Discussion”