Downsides of running as admin

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
AHKStudent

Downsides of running as admin

15 Nov 2019, 23:32

Is there a risk of running my scripts as admin always? Or should as admin only be used in a limited way?
SOTE

Re: Downsides of running as admin

16 Nov 2019, 00:43

Depends on what you are doing. Some scripts need run as admin permission because they are interacting with other programs that require it. So I think you have to do a "case by case" analysis of what permissions are needed.

The best practice would arguably be to give scripts no run as admin permissions, and then when there is no other alternative, give admin permission as needed.
AHKStudent

16 Nov 2019, 01:16

SOTE wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 00:43
Depends on what you are doing. Some scripts need run as admin permission because they are interacting with other programs that require it. So I think you have to do a "case by case" analysis of what permissions are needed.

The best practice would arguably be to give scripts no run as admin permissions, and then when there is no other alternative, give admin permission as needed.
Thanks, I noticed that too so I was wondering if I just make all my scripts run as admin by default if it a problem? Because as admin I dont have issues with scripts.
guest3456

18 Nov 2019, 11:11

don't run your scripts as admin by default.
don't even run your windows account as admin

swagfag

18 Nov 2019, 11:44

i run mine as admin by default on my home pc out of convenience. takes care of a bunch of errors u wont have to check for during development - hotkeys not working, weird DllCall results, etc.
this practice could become problematic if u start sharing ur scripts with others, since their machines might be more heavily locked down

in a perfect world, ud only interactively elevate for procedures that actually require elevation for the duration of the procedure. we dont live in a perfect world

Return to “General Discussion”