About Installer.ahk within portable version

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Subaru

About Installer.ahk within portable version

04 Dec 2019, 11:06

Hey. I've been pretty confused about Installer.ahk after downloading zipped, portable version of AHK v1.1.31.01 some time ago. I did read that install version also provides some sort of portable functionality, but I went with zip. Yes, the name kinda gives its purpose away :facepalm: but do I need to even use Installer.ahk when AutoHotkey runs fine after it's extracted?

What I'd like to know is, do I need to use Installer.ahk in portable version, or just assigning them manually will do, and context-sensitive menus will be available when right-clicking .ahk files?
Last edited by Subaru on 07 Dec 2019, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
SOTE

Re: About Installer.ahk within portable version

06 Dec 2019, 03:35

If you are using Windows 10; Start menu, select Settings, Apps, Default apps.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

Depending on the version of Windows 10 or Windows 8, you should be able to right-click on the .ahk file, choose "Open With", then "Choose Default Program". This will give you the option of always associating .ahk files with the AutoHotkey.exe from the zip file.
Subaru

Re: About Installer.ahk within portable version

07 Dec 2019, 12:30

My initial post was a tad confusing, I edited it a little. sorry about that. I know how to set file associations, I just didn't know if doing it manually would have the same effect (context-sensitive menus) if you didn't use Installer.ahk, but I imagine it would write to registry etc. I chose portable, since screwing something up on my side would let me quickly wipe it clean and extract again.

Return to “General Discussion”