Common Scripts Sharing Method

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
azowux

Common Scripts Sharing Method

22 Nov 2020, 18:37

Greetings, Dear AHK Community!

First of all since that's my first post on the forum I'd like to say huge thanks to devs: since without your invention that's been thoroughly worked on I think I'd never come that close to coding as I'm now, choosing it around half a year ago as to be my profession. I've been writing scripts for around 2 years already and since this time (I'm approaching front-end direction proffession-wise though) it changed my life in a lot of positive ways. Even currently I'm typing with shortcuts I'm working on constantly shrinking my actual typing by 1/3, not even taking into account much more system manipulation, workflow hotkeys, UI improvements, parallel tasks automation, etc.

However that's not my prime topic of the post. I'm trying to figure out the style in which the Community is mainly used to sharing their features and scripts. Ever since beginning I kept building functions one upon another, testing all keyboard hotkeys in a one huge script. Then I split this file into smaller ones regarding their purpose (one would be all about clipboard management, another for text navigation, another for gesture integration with GestureSign, etc).

I'd be down to write distinguished, separate scripts in the very beginning, but since I had so lots of different hotkeys, I couldn't figure out instantly how they would behave, I neither really enjoyed duplicating script hash-flags mentioned in auto-execute section, therefore if I would just github my script directory with a full function descriptions, folks around will have to spend a good time integrating it into their code.

So my question is: what's the best way to share your code? For example I successfully implemented a Spotify Like script recently, it launches/activates Spotify window and likes/dislikes currently played song, makes it disappear or stay based on mouse activity, whatever... I have 2 choices: first is to publish it as is, the way I implemented it in my own script with hude amount of another functions. It comfortable for me to debug this code. On another hand the Community would obviously not wanna mess around my crap and would definitely prefer a standalone solution, where tweaking wouldn't take time for getting to know my code, however I can't in this case guarantee compatibility with what's running already on the target user's machine, even more to say, hotkeys aren't that easy to integrate in case the user is as wild as I am, messing around with input levels and side software to extent.
azowux

Re: Common Scripts Sharing Method

25 Nov 2020, 04:38

Please let me know if the way I stated my question is not understandable, thanks everyone!
swagfag

Re: Common Scripts Sharing Method

25 Nov 2020, 05:21

if u got scripts u wanna share, just share them. it doesnt matter whether u do it on the forums, github or someplace else(though a git repo is preferable). if theyre good, people are bound to find a use for them

Return to “General Discussion”