Make Docs2 more newbies friendly

Share your ideas as to how the documentation can be improved.
vmech

Make Docs2 more newbies friendly

02 Dec 2023, 05:13

None of the pages below contain information about the orientation of the coordinate system:
MouseGetPos
CoordMode
Variables : CoordMode

If I wanna use MouseGetPos in my script at the first time, then I need to «jump» through MouseGetPos -> CoordMode, where click the WinMove link in the Remarks section (!!!) to now know that The top left pixel of the screen is at position 0, 0.

And not a single word about mouse coordinates.

Very useful... indeed.
Please post your script code inside [code] ... [/code] block. Thank you.
neogna2

Re: Make Docs2 more newbies friendly

03 Dec 2023, 04:51

I guess AutoHotkey inherits its coordinate system from Windows. Could be useful to describe in some of the topics you mention. Do you have a suggestion for how to phrase it and where in those documentation articles to put it? Such suggestions can help Ragnar or others who update the documentation.

I looked for documentation on the WinAPI/Windows coordinate system and found https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/gdi/window-coordinate-system , which is not ideal perhaps since the context is GDI, but I didn't quickly find a better source general source.
vmech

04 Dec 2023, 08:30

neogna2 wrote:
I guess AutoHotkey inherits its coordinate system from Windows.
Oh really?!
Imagine, there are people on this planet who use a computer every day, but nevertheless, almost every word in your sentence is eureka for them!
neogna2 wrote:
Could be useful to describe in some of the topics you mention. Do you have a suggestion for how to phrase it and where in those documentation articles to put it? Such suggestions can help Ragnar or others who update the documentation.
It's not for me to tell these people what and how to do.
But I would place a separate small section about mouse things in the article designed to learn newbies with Autohotkey. And I made every word «coordinates» in articles about mouse functions a link to this section.
Please post your script code inside [code] ... [/code] block. Thank you.
lmstearn

04 Dec 2023, 23:08

Since the (searched) coordinate entry in the LH tree selector redirects to CoordMode, would this help?
Sets coordinate mode for the co-ordinate systems used in various built-in functions to be relative to either the active window, client window, or the screen.
:arrow: itros "ylbbub eht tuO kaerB" a ni kcuts m'I pleH

Return to “Suggestions on Documentation Improvements”