My First VPN

Talk about anything
jballi

My First VPN

25 May 2016, 18:15

I'm looking for an inexpensive and lightweight VPN/Proxy service for occasional use. Actual use TBD. I started looking around and there are tons of providers out there. The two I have my eye on are Private Internet Access and IPVanish.

Does anyone have experience with these or any other VPN/Proxy providers? I'm looking for a recommendation or feedback of any kind. Thanks.
guest3456

Re: My First VPN

25 May 2016, 21:06

you are not truly anonymous with many VPN providers as they still keep logs and will provide them to govt agencies when pressed.

i use http://www.proxy.sh and have been for a few years now. they are extremely proactive about protecting users privacy and publicly publish all notices they receive

jballi

25 May 2016, 23:04

guest3456 wrote:you are not truly anonymous with many VPN providers as they still keep logs and will provide them to govt agencies when pressed.
This is true for many VPN providers, especially the free ones. However, many of the better ones, including the ones I specified in the first post, no longer keep logs of any kind. And yes, it is important to understand that your activities can still be scrutinized by outside groups but many of the tools that these services provide or don't provide (Ex: logs) help to improve anonymity.

Of course, these tools are not just for anonymity. With all of the open Wi-Fi out there, it will probably become more and more important to protect yourself.
guest3456 wrote:i use http://www.proxy.sh and have been for a few years now. they are extremely proactive about protecting users privacy and publicly publish all notices they receive
Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look/see.
joedf

26 May 2016, 02:29

I mean... I guess you could try ultrasurf or tor or something :/
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jballi

30 May 2016, 07:57

Guest wrote:Here is a nice starting point incl. vpn comparison chart http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/10/resear ... -to-a-vpn/
I missed this earlier. It looks useful. Thanks. :)
xZomBie

04 Jun 2016, 05:40

Betternet and Psyphon3 is what I use
Masonjar13

05 Jun 2016, 14:28

jballi wrote:However, many of the better ones, including the ones I specified in the first post, no longer keep logs of any kind.
This is untrue. All servers must have some logs, system logs most especially. It's simply not feasible to run a large-scale server otherwise. What's important is if they log your usage, which isn't necessary. Read through ALL of a VPN's privacy policy, you'll see somethings you might not expect.

I use PIA, and if you want privacy: get some bitcoin, blend them, spoof your MAC, pay for PIA with those. If someone happens to show up, reset your MAC and hide the evidence. Simple. Any other VPN that takes bitcoin would also work for that, obviously.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
jballi

06 Jun 2016, 03:26

Masonjar13 wrote:This is untrue. All servers must have some logs, system logs most especially. It's simply not feasible to run a large-scale server otherwise. What's important is if they log your usage, which isn't necessary. Read through ALL of a VPN's privacy policy, you'll see somethings you might not expect.

I use PIA, and if you want privacy: get some bitcoin, blend them, spoof your MAC, pay for PIA with those. If someone happens to show up, reset your MAC and hide the evidence. Simple. Any other VPN that takes bitcoin would also work for that, obviously.
Thanks for your feedback.

Some of the VPN providers use "no logs" to indicate what they do but you're right, they couldn't eliminate all logs and operate a business. One provider clarified by stating "no traffic logs". They might log when you connect/disconnect to their their service but everything else is either not logged or is deleted frequently.

And yes, I am looking at Private Internet Access. Thanks for letting me know that you use it. The price is competitive and they offer quite a few services.
joedf

08 Jul 2016, 01:21

Sorry... Didnt mention it before.

ShadowSocks is the way to go. UltraSurf is just the "goto-easy" solution. (Both originally designed to bypass the Gr347 Fir3w4ll 0f Chin4)
client: https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowso ... ses/latest
server (get a cheap digitalocean vps): An Excellent guide on how to set up your own ShadowSocks server here: https://www.vpndada.com/how-to-setup-a- ... italocean/
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Hajin

10 Aug 2016, 02:21

xZomBie wrote:Betternet and Psyphon3 is what I use
These are good
Lomne

08 Nov 2016, 06:21

In that case, the proxy and VPN services are in abundance. I would even say that this is an area where there is plenty to choose from. Here it is necessary to look at your budget and needs, I try to use advanced.name in these latter days.
simplysunny

05 Dec 2016, 04:08

Got to be Zenmate.
qiangwaikan

26 Sep 2019, 21:49

It is recommended to build your own shadowsocksR.here:http://qiangwaikan.com/ssr/
Last edited by joedf on 26 Sep 2019, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
KingBrog

25 Oct 2019, 15:19

I used Tor Browser and also VPN in the Opera browser, but their speed was not sufficient
I am currently using the FriGate extension for Google Chrome
SOTE

25 Oct 2019, 18:21

I'm not sure to what extent people can trust any VPN provider. They tend to claim they are trustworthy, but the reality can be much different. Most definitely you will have government agencies infiltrate them or pay them off, so users can still be logged in one way or another. It becomes questionable how secure are the computers that your internet connection is running through. If a computer in the chain is compromised, then so is your data going through it. On top of that, there is the question of speed, which affects usability.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”