flipping the contents / windows on a dual-screen setup

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
beeski

flipping the contents / windows on a dual-screen setup

06 Feb 2014, 14:30

hello all

i am wondering what would be the most streamlined way of flipping the contents of the monitors in a multi- [two] screen setup.

i imagine it would be sufficient to merely offset the currently visible windows' coordinates (as in, it would not be necessary to, say, exchange the desktop icons of each of the screens).

i imagine scripts have been written to enable this, or perhaps there is even a dedicated command in ahk to facilitate this?

thank you very much.
fischgeek

Re: flipping the contents / windows on a dual-screen setup

06 Feb 2014, 14:48

What do you mean by "flipping"? Monitor A has window X and Monitor B has window Y. You want to make it so that Monitor A has window Y and Monitor B has window X?
beeski

06 Feb 2014, 14:59

fischgeek wrote:What do you mean by "flipping"? Monitor A has window X and Monitor B has window Y. You want to make it so that Monitor A has window Y and Monitor B has window X?
yes, that is it. (except, to be precise, monitor A probably has dozens of windows, and so does monitor B. i would like to 'toggle' the contents of either monitor, while retaining the windows' relative position within the screen.)

(BTW. if it were possible / easier to 'completely' shuffle the entire contents of either monitor [that is, a carbon copy of the monitor / graphical memory], that would also be as useful i imagine.)
fischgeek

06 Feb 2014, 16:08

I would imagine you would use SysGet to get the monitor count then, get the coords of each monitor. From there you would use WinGet to get a list of all the windows, then get each windows coords. Then it's just a matter of some simple math. I'll see if I can't post an example later tonight. Unless someone beats me to it or has a better solution.
beeski

06 Feb 2014, 16:12

fischgeek wrote:I would imagine you would use SysGet to get the monitor count then, get the coords of each monitor. From there you would use WinGet to get a list of all the windows, then get each windows coords. Then it's just a matter of some simple math. I'll see if I can't post an example later tonight. Unless someone beats me to it or has a better solution.
thank you for the pointers.

from here, i reckon i may be able to do it (it will probably take me an afternoon, being a newbie).

i somehow thought my request was so common there were scripts pre written for these kinds of operations.
kon

06 Feb 2014, 17:04

I haven't tried it myself, but I did find this script: windowpad
beeski

09 Feb 2014, 15:11

thank you.

i found a small tool doing just that (with a user-definable key shortcut to trigger the flipping); so in case anyone was wondering about the same and was okay with using an already-made (free) tool, here it is:

http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/swapscreen.html

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”