Technically benefits or reasons for using ahk v2 over v1.1

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
Blackholyman

Technically benefits or reasons for using ahk v2 over v1.1

15 Feb 2014, 12:16

I have been looking at http://ahkscript.org/v2/v2-changes.htm from time to time

But Other then practical reasons like that commands now also has a function counterpart and ofc Legacy Syntax being Removed...

Is there some enhanced performance, lower size, easier source maintenance maybe or some other typically important details worth knowing about...

As i like the idea of v2 but if compatibility with the script i have made in the past will not really benefit from being upgradet then i'm unsure of the right time to start using v2 full time

Sure its just me not seeing it... ;)
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
fincs

Re: Technically benefits or reasons for using ahk v2 over v1

15 Feb 2014, 12:34

Blackholyman wrote:Is there some enhanced performance, lower size, easier source maintenance maybe or some other typically important details worth knowing about...
Yes. The removal of legacy stuff removes bloat (which translates to all the effects you have mentioned). This includes legacy syntax, legacy commands and legacy quirky behaviours.
Blackholyman wrote:i'm unsure of the right time to start using v2 full time
You'll want to use v2 for new scripts once the v2 syntax/feature set becomes stable enough. Old scripts (especially massive old scripts) can stay in v1.1; you'll only port stuff if you need it for a v2 project.
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”