Ticker: An RSS Scroller

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
Nextron

Re: Ticker: An RSS Scroller

15 Apr 2014, 16:30

First post updated:
  • RSS specific item limit added
  • Changed the moment of color change to when the last item of the preceding feed starts leaving the screen
  • Bugfix where ampersands changed to underlining the next following letter
Remaining bug: Sometimes an item is displayed twice in a row. Probably an index overflowing or something but the sporadicness confuses me.
Guest10

15 Apr 2014, 17:23

thanks for prompt implementation of features. i am testing now... is it possible to add a feature where the user can right-click on the steaming ticker and exit the app altogether if this becomes necessary (as this feature comes handy in certain cases)?
Nextron

15 Apr 2014, 17:37

I'm not sure if that's a feature everybody would need or like, but it is easily implemented.

Look for the lines:

Code: Select all

#If, MouseOver(TickerhWnd)
#If,
Add RButton up::ExitApp in between so you get:

RButton up::ExitApp
#If,
Guest10

15 Apr 2014, 18:07

thanks, i'll text. :D
Nextron wrote:I'm not sure if that's a feature everybody would need or like, but it is easily implemented.

Look for the lines:

#If,
Add RButton up::ExitApp in between so you get:

RButton up::ExitApp
#If,
Guest10

15 Apr 2014, 18:11

does this latest version still export to TickerNews.html (in the script directory) as did the earlier versions?
p.s.: no problem, remembered i had to add a path. it is left blank by default. good stuff! :lol:
step

17 Apr 2014, 00:57

Don't mean to hijack your thread but maybe you can help me with an issue I have regarding my external LCD monitor. It often blanks out temporarily when an application attempts to display <something>. What exactly <something> is I do not know - that's what I'm trying to find out in order to troubleshoot my monitor. I'm asking you because Ticker throws my monitor into "blanking" like no other app does; my monitor blanks out as soon as Ticker starts running, and it stays out with no remedy. So, does Ticker do something special/unconventional/optimized to create/update its windows? I'm running Ticker on XP.
Guest10

18 Apr 2014, 11:52

i am running both GUI and Non-GUI versions (Non-GUI solely to generate tickerhtml file) on XP SP2 and have had no monitor or other bunglement issues so far. :ugeek:
step wrote:Don't mean to hijack your thread but maybe you can help me with an issue I have regarding my external LCD monitor. It often blanks out temporarily when an application attempts to display <something>. What exactly <something> is I do not know - that's what I'm trying to find out in order to troubleshoot my monitor. I'm asking you because Ticker throws my monitor into "blanking" like no other app does; my monitor blanks out as soon as Ticker starts running, and it stays out with no remedy. So, does Ticker do something special/unconventional/optimized to create/update its windows? I'm running Ticker on XP.
Guest10

21 Apr 2014, 07:28

starting a few days ago, script is failing at some feed locations (sites picked randomly for this test). these sites confirmed to fail:
http://www.bondbuyer.com/resources/breaking_news.xml
http://blogs.barrons.com/incomeinvesting/feed/
Nextron

21 Apr 2014, 14:05

Oh boy, here come my questions:
  • Which script version are you running?
  • What fails? Not a single item from those feeds is downloaded, ever?
  • What command do you use to add those feeds?
Guest10

21 Apr 2014, 15:26

i am running the latest version with the following segment for this test:

TickerRss.Insert(["http://www.bondbuyer.com/resources/breaking_news.xml", "0xE5E5E5", 10])
TickerRss.Insert(["http://blogs.barrons.com/incomeinvesting/feed/", "0xE5E5E5", 3])
it seems to download the first item, but that is it. if i choose google feed, then it downloads all 10:

TickerRss.Insert(["http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&topic=w&output=rss", "white", 10])
Guest10

22 Apr 2014, 01:52

looks like there was no problem with the code after all! looks like i had messed around with Use Settings and had removed '10' after this line:
TickerRssMaxItemsPerFeed=10 :lol: :oops:
Guest10

26 Apr 2014, 14:54

another discovery regarding the aforesaid apparent issue of presentation of feed items or lack hereof is to increase the TickerRssMaxAgeHours to 48 or greater! :lol: :ugeek:
Oskikar

21 Jul 2015, 13:45

Hi Nextron!

I like very much your RSS Ticker script.
I'm trying to do the following, but it seems complicated. Need help (everybody).

I'm trying to convert your RSS ticker in a notification tool. I've got an script (java) that every x minutes does a number of checks and write the results in a RSS.xml file if the script finds something to remark.
There is only one RSS feed always, it's unique.

If there is no RSS.xml, then transparency ticker bar turns to 0 (invisible)
If there is RSS.XML, then tranaparency ticker bar turns to 255 (visible).

Starting setting TickerTransparancy=0, I'm trying with 'WinSet, Transparent, 255' after 'Gui, Color,%TickerCurrentBackgroundColor%' in TickerSetBackgroundColor(InputColor) funtion, but nothings happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!! and excuse my english
Nextron

22 Jul 2015, 18:24

TickerSetBackgroundColor() is probably not the best place the change the transparency as it's called very often but also returns immediately if the background color is unchanged, skipping your code.

How about this: In the function TickerRssUpdate(), after the line feed:=UrlDownloadToVar(value), you add:
WinSet, Transparent, % 255*!!feed (Untested).
anhminh1232002

30 Jan 2016, 00:00

Hello
My text is encoded UTF-8. I want to display these text in UTF-8
Please help.
Tks
SnowFlake

16 Apr 2016, 20:21

hmmm this doesn't sems to work for me, nothing shows up/No Gui

Edit:
i firgot to press the hotkey and also its not alwaysontop :P
:yawn:
LnC

21 Apr 2016, 01:47

Hi Nextron,

Thanks for the great script you've made. I really like it. Altough i got one question. Is it possible in this script to load a local (offline) .xml / .rss file?
Can't seem to get it to work.
Could you help me out?

Thanks in advance.
LnC

21 Apr 2016, 03:38

Previous question was from me, but i like AHK that it would be nice that i registerd.
Sorry for this "double post". :)
Nextron

21 Apr 2016, 04:38

Good to hear it's appreciated. I can't test at the moment, but I think if you make the following replacement, you should be able to use local paths as well as URL's (for example: TickerRss.Insert("c:\localfile.rss")):

Replace feed:=UrlDownloadToVar(value) with:

If SubStr(value,1,4)="http"
	feed:=UrlDownloadToVar(value)
Else
	FileRead,feed,% value
LnC

21 Apr 2016, 05:49

Ow yeah!
It works!
Thanks allot for the quick response and the fix. :superhappy: