Getting portable AHK to run

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
logithack1337

Getting portable AHK to run

07 Feb 2018, 07:28

Hey guys,

I'd like to "install" portable AHK on my PC at work. The reason is that I've got no administrative rights on this machine. I've done this before but now I can't seem to get it to work. So far, I've downloaded AutoHotkey_1.1.26.01.zip and extracted it to C:\Users\<username>\Programs\AutoHotkey. Now, I'm not sure whether I need to run Installer.ahk located inside the directory. If I do that, it asks me for admin rights. Is it necessary to run that?

Thanks guys!

logithack
Delta Pythagorean

Re: Getting portable AHK to run

07 Feb 2018, 07:49

If you've extracted all of the contents, there's no reason to run Install.ahk.
Just run a .ahk script with the corresponding .exe for AHK and you're good to go.

When you run Install.ahk, it asks for admin rights. You can allow to use admin rights, but it is not needed for some things. You can actually just run with the lowest permissions possible on a computer.

[AHK]......: v2.0.12 | 64-bit
[OS].......: Windows 11 | 23H2 (OS Build: 22621.3296)
[GITHUB]...: github.com/DelPyth
[PAYPAL]...: paypal.me/DelPyth
[DISCORD]..: tophatcat

logithack1337

07 Feb 2018, 09:47

Thanks for your reply, DP. I got a little confused when I saw the Install.ahk and probably felt the urge to run it, forgetting that it's not necessary. Thanks mate!
lexikos

09 Feb 2018, 06:44

The installer registers .ahk files with AutoHotkey.exe, writes to the all-users Start menu and some other things. It is not designed to operate with limited privileges and has not even been tested under those conditions (it may simply fail to do anything useful, or it may throw error messages). It is included in the zip for reference, and in case someone has an issue with the 7-zip self-extracting setup file (the main download).

It may be possible for the installer to provide almost the same functionality by writing to the current user's portion of the registry and Start menu, but I haven't personally needed it (or been interested enough).

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”