Script Help: GUI Customer Interface To Add THEMSELF to QuickBooks Customer List?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
ENRKyle20

Script Help: GUI Customer Interface To Add THEMSELF to QuickBooks Customer List?

08 Mar 2018, 10:56

Good Morning. Love this forum and this program. I use a script daily that was created with the help of the forum members years ago and it saves me time at least 3 times a day!

So I am looking for help creating another script.

I am looking for a script that can be launched that is essentially a stupid simple GUI fullscreen question with an answer box and a next (and perhaps a back button), asking about 15 questions (That a customer can fill out when making a drop off). Then that data could be transferred to an existing PDF drop off slip template that I have created.

Sounds easy enough - I have looked high and low but there is nothing pre made that I can find to do this.

----that is step one--
I got to thinking, why type this stuff twice. Im sure there is a way to get this info transferred into QuickBooks (or a portion of the data, to add a new customer). But Lets work on the second part later.

Thanks for any tips or advice you may have!!
MaxAstro

Re: Script Help: GUI Customer Interface To Add THEMSELF to QuickBooks Customer List?

08 Mar 2018, 11:08

I do something very similar to this with a script I have written. The GUI is pretty easy, although making it look nice can be tricky. Pasting into the PDF is also relatively easy, as long as it's a form-fillable PDF and the tab order is logical.

Which part are you currently stuck at? Do you have any experience making GUIs?
ENRKyle20

Re: Script Help: GUI Customer Interface To Add THEMSELF to QuickBooks Customer List?

08 Mar 2018, 11:43

I am in the brainstorming stage still. I do not have any experience with GUIs or very limited with general programing. I know there is several options for GUI creators (or helpers) but I can you suggest one, perhaps a template?

I am going to be filling it a fillable PDF. Here is the forum:

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ENRKyle20

08 Mar 2018, 11:45

Also, It need not be attractive. And Thank you for the help!

(You mentioned the tab order being logical. I think that would be removing the three boxes for phone number and making it just one box, so it only asks one questions (phone number) rather than 3. I can and will redesign the slip and the fillable PDF is that is what you think would work best)
BoBo

08 Mar 2018, 12:24

Code: Select all

Gui, Add, Text,, SHEBOYGAN PC REPAIR

Gui, Add, Text,, Name:
Gui, Add, Edit,, 
Gui, Add, Text,, Phone: 				; (_____) _____-_________
Gui, Add, Edit,,
Gui, Add, Edit,,
Gui, Add, Edit,,
Gui, Add, Text,, Phone: (                   )`t`t-
Gui, Add, Edit, x53 yp-3 w52, 
Gui, Add, Edit, xp60 yp w56,
Gui, Add, Edit, xp62 yp wp,
Gui, Add, Text, x10, Address:
Gui, Add, Edit,,
Gui, Add, Text,, E-mail:
Gui, Add, Edit,,
Gui, Add, Text,, Date/Time:				; ____/____/____ ___:___AM/PM
Gui, Add, DateTime,,
Gui, Add, Text,, Password:
Gui, Add, Edit,,
Gui, Add, Text,, Describe The Issue:
Gui, Add, Edit,,

Gui, Add, Text,, TECH INFO
Gui, Add, Text,, Make/Model:
Gui, Add, Edit,,
Gui, Add, Text,, Items Included:
Gui, Add, Edit,,
Gui, Add, Text,, Notes:
Gui, Add, Edit,,

Gui, Add, Text,, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED WITHIN 24 BUSINESS `n 
. HOURS WITH A NO COST / NO OBLIGATION QUOTE. `n
. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS.
Gui, Show,,
Return
... it's not that tough to do, but the annoying part is to position the controls x/y/w/h and don't forget to add variabels and labels to them ;)
ENRKyle20

08 Mar 2018, 12:30

I see. Ok. I will give that a whirl. Thank you so much!
ENRKyle20

08 Mar 2018, 12:33

Wow. This is great!. Thank you for filling that all out.
I think it looks great!

One part I am not quite sure about it how to get it transferred to the PDF?
MaxAstro

08 Mar 2018, 12:40

You need to assign a variable to each Edit control, and then Submit the GUI to save the variables. Then you can make the PDF the active window and use Send commands to type the text into the field. Use Send {Tab} to switch between fields in the PDF.

As an example, if you save a variable with the name MyVar, then you can print it with Send, %MyVar%

Here are some documentation links that should help:

Code: Select all

GUI, Edit
GUI, Submit
WinActivate
Send
Trippet

08 Mar 2018, 17:47

I can answer as to the loading the customer information bit. QuickBooks does allow an import of customer, vendor, account, and one other thing that escapes me at the moment. They have a file format sample for .csv and .xlsx. You could have the GUI write to a .csv file that you could then import to QuickBooks.

Go to Sales > Customers > Drop-down from New Customer and select Import Customers From there you can download the sample files, or you can peek at the one I attached.

It's funny, I did a search for QuickBooks on the forum and there were only two posts that came up. Yours was one. I added a third today looking for a debug for my QB script. Thought it was interesting that of the three QB-related questions two were posted today. :D
Attachments
Customer Example.csv
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”