Still confused about when to use % with variables? This helped me figure it out

Helpful script writing tricks and HowTo's
SAbboushi

Still confused about when to use % with variables? This helped me figure it out

09 May 2018, 11:09

Despite the excellent and comprehensive AHK documentation and support forum, I've had some difficulty getting crystal clear on when I need to use the "% space prefix" vs. just the variable name vs. surrounding the variables in %

I wrote this script to help me figure it out and am posting in case it can help others too.

Code: Select all

; Variables and percent signs.ahk
; See https://autohotkey.com/docs/Language.htm#expressions-vs-legacy-syntax

; See bottom of script for usage in commands e.g. IfWinExist

; my favorite "gotcha":  if (z3 = "") (see below)

#NoEnv
#SingleInstance Force ; prevents multiple instances of script from running

; AHK supports "unquoted text"
w = y ; value of w is the literal/text string "y"
v := w ; value of v is the literal/text string "y"

w2 =  2  ; Note whitespace around the "2"
w3 := 2
if (w2 = w3) 
	MsgBox Yes ; seems whitespace is ignored

MsgBox % """" . w2 . """" ; just confirming: there are 2 spaces before and after "2" (i.e. "w2 =  2  ") but it looks like such whitespace is ignored

MsgBox, Yes ; treats "Yes" as unquoted text
MsgBox, % Yes ; treats "Yes" as variable name "Yes" (which is unassigned/empty)
MsgBox, % "Yes" 

if x = y ; legacy/"traditional" if statement and unquoted text "y"
{
	sleep , 1
}
else
{
	sleep , 1 ; this line executes because x is treated as a variable and y as a literal. x is uninitialized.  AHK HAS NO VALUE FOR NULL.  UNINITIALIZED VARIABLES ARE EMPTY/BLANK STRINGS i.e. length of 0
}

if (x = y) 	; if (expression) DOES NOT SUPPORT UNQUOTED TEXT: x and y are treated as variables
{
	sleep , 1 ; this line executes because x and y are uninitialized/empty and thus equal
}
else
{
	sleep , 1
}

; Don't need braces if only 1 statement/command per if or else statement
if (x = y) ; if (expression)
	sleep , 1 ; this line executes because x and y variables are both uninitialized/blank and thus equal
else
	sleep , 1 

if z = 
{
	sleep , 1 ; this line executes because variable z has not been initialized and I guess therefore matches blank/empty
}
else
{
	sleep , 1
}

; z1 has not been initialized
if z1 = ""
{
	sleep , 1 
}
else
{
	sleep , 1 ; gotcha? this line executes because variable z1 has not been initialized and doesn't equal the literal consisting of two doublequotes
}

if (z2 = "")
{
	sleep , 1 ; this line executes because variable z2 has not been initialized and is blank/empty; since the expression is within parentheses, the pair of doublequotes is interpreted as a blank/empty literal
}
else
{
	sleep , 1
}

z3 = ""
if (z3 = "")
{
	sleep , 1
}
else
{
	sleep , 1 ; gotcha? this line executes because the value of z3 is a literal string (i.e. a pair of doublequotes) whereas the expression (z3 = "") is testing whether z3 is empty (i.e. has a string length of 0); an expression interprets a pair of doublequotes as a blank/empty literal
}

a1 = 1 + 2 ; assigns the literal "1 + 2"

a2 := 1 + 2 ; assigns 3 because of assignment operator ":=" and the valid math expression

a3 = ( 1 + 2 ) ; assigns the literal "( 1 + 2 )"

a4 := ( 1 + 2 ) ; assigns 3 because of operator ":=" and the valid math expression

a5 := a1 ; assigns the literal "1 + 2"

a6 := a1 + a3 ; assigns empty because of assignment operator ":=" and invalid math expression (adding together two literal text strings)

a7:= a1 + a2 ; assigns empty because of assignment operator ":=" and invalid math expression (adding together a literal text string (value of a1 is "1 + 2") and a number (value of a2 is 3))

b1 = a1 ; assigns literal "a1"

b2 = %a1% ; assigns literal "1 + 2"

b3 := a1 ; assigns literal "1 + 2"

b5 := %b1% ; assigns the literal "1 + 2"

; b4 := %a1% ; results in a terminal error "the following variable name contains an illegal character: '1 + 2'"; the percent signs identify the contents (i.e. value) of variable a1 as the name of a variable, that variable name being "1 + 2", which is an illegal variable name

MsgBox The value in the variable named b3 is %b3%. ; unquoted text
MsgBox % "The value in the variable named b3 is " . b3 . "." ; displays same as line above

MsgBox The value in the variable named b3 is """"%b3%"""". ; unquoted text, displays 4 doublequotes
MsgBox % "The value in the variable named b3 is " . """" . b3 . """" . "." ; need 4 doublequotes to display 1 when using quoted text

; EACH PARAMETER that has variables needs to be preceded with % space prefix:
FileRead, GetLastVersePageFile, % QIEpath Title ".txt" ; QIEpath and Title are variables

; EXAMPLE with multiple parameters:

WinTitle := "SciTE.exe" ; J:\StandaloneApps\AutoHotkey\SciTE\SciTE.exe
WinText := "Source"
ExcludeTitle := "xxyyzz"

; IfWinExist [, WinTitle, WinText, ExcludeTitle, ExcludeText] (deprecated, but using it as example of a command that uses traditional (i.e. non-expression) syntax which requires understanding of how/when to use "% space prefix" vs. just the variable name vs. surrounding the variables in %):
IfWinExist, ahk_exe %WinTitle%, % WinText, % ExcludeTitle ; each parameter syntax is separate, so I can use unquoted/legacy syntax for one parameter (i.e. ahk_exe %WinTitle%) and expression syntax with the other parameters
	MsgBox, Yes!

IfWinExist, % "ahk_exe " . WinTitle, % WinText, % ExcludeTitle ; Using expression syntax for all parameters
	MsgBox, Yes!
Era

Re: Still confused about when to use % with variables? This helped me figure it out

16 May 2018, 18:35

You and most of us. What's the use of those differently punctuated variable names? Makes no sense to me
Cerberus

Re: Still confused about when to use % with variables? This helped me figure it out

29 May 2018, 18:20

Excellent for beginners! This is indeed among the most confusing inconsistencies in Autohotkey. I think the best solution is a good syntax highlighter: if you consistently highlight strings or string content as, say, yellow; special symbols that are active/working as purple (e.g. percentage signs in the right context); and the rest as white, like variable names; then it's easy for the user to get it right. The problem is that it is quite a complex task to write a proper syntax highlighter to apply these rules, because you need to classify each parameter in each command/function/operation.
icuurd12b42

29 May 2018, 21:28

I reduced this to 2 rules

1) always use variable :=
2) always use %variable% to extract the content of the variable for commands that require it

Name := "John"
MsgBox, Hello %Name%, How are you today.

That's it! nothing complicated, nothing convoluting, nothing confusing. just obey these 2 rules and that will normalize your coding to a proper standard and reduce issues to basically one recurring issue which will be, Ooops I used = instead of :=, which you will instantly spot when something fishy happens.

I never use the % in any other situation than when having to use a command...

Even for text concatenation I use the . operator, because that is what I would do in 99.9999% of all programing language, though it would likely be the + operator...

Sentence := "Hello " . Name . ", How are you today."
MsgBox, %Sentence%
nnnik

29 May 2018, 23:56

I simply use a single % in commands to make them expression mode command.
Recommends AHK Studio
jackdunning
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ComputorEdgeEBooks/posts

21 Aug 2018, 06:37

There are excellent reasons for occasionally forcing expressions with the % operator. The blog "Force an Expression (%) in AutoHotkey for More Powerful Commands (https://jacksautohotkeyblog.wordpress.c ... s-part-17/) offers a beginner's explanation.

Also, for a better understanding of %var% replacement, check out the "Variable Evaluation (% Var) Versus Variable Text Replacement (%Var%)" section of https://jacksautohotkeyblog.wordpress.c ... otkey-tip/
Jack Dunning

I have a passion for helping new users grow maniacal about AutoHotkey Windows scripting.

Jack's AutoHotkey Blog
Free AutoHotkey Scripts and Apps for Learning Script Writing and Generating Ideas
AutoHotkey Books
AutoHotkey Library Bundles
Special Discount on Jack's Motley Assortment of AutoHotkey Tips until October 31, 2019

Return to “Tutorials”