+1 feature on the forum

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
gregster

Re: +1 feature on the forum

13 Jun 2018, 18:58

Flipeador wrote:In the end the most important thing is to have fun and have a good time, it's nice to know that someone has voted you positively.
That's part of what I mean. Personal fun for some that might ruin the whole thing for others. In the end, upvotes don't tell you much - upvotes are given for all kind of reasons, not necessarily quality. For example, to get upvotes back, to vote with a guru or even because you don't understand a complicated post, even for personal sympathy totally unrelated to the actual post.
Usually, after a while, you see that the regulars will shower each other with upvotes - even for negligible posts. Other people will feel obligated to give upvotes back to someone who regularly votes for them. Others will be sad, because they feel that they deliver bad quality, although the lack of votes might have other reasons. Of course, all these (and a number of other) behaviours will benefit certain people and will have social effects. But you won't even know why exactly you did get the votes... I am not even starting with the effects of envy.

All these effects will de-value the original purpose and will often lead to less individual and less detailed feedback (pushing a button is so much faster and easier). Real feedback can give so much more valuable information about the quality of a post than a +1 (like you wrote yourself, you wouldn't value each +1 the same; that shows the arbitrariness of the whole system). In the end, we might even lose information.
I do not try to ruin anything, but to improve and make the forum more user-friendly.
Nobody talked about you trying to do that. But even best intentions can go awry. Is this what we have today so awful?
Last edited by gregster on 13 Jun 2018, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Flipeador

13 Jun 2018, 19:08

Sorry to use this word constantly, but your comment seems exaggerated (I can not find a better word to describe it), I have nothing more to say. You have taken a simple comment of mine to justify everything that has already been said.
Edit: It's about "innovating"(maybe it's not the best word, I mean try something new) not about staying stuck in time just 'cause "it's working" (you should define that).

Edit2: I think you've gone too far. I will not continue talking to you, not someone who seems to mock.
gregster

13 Jun 2018, 19:10

Carelessness rather comes to mind, reading your responses.
Is this what we have today so awful?

Edit: Wow, innovation for innovation's sake - now you seem to be riding a dead horse. I have worked a long time in online marketing. There, and in markting generally, you sell a lot - with something we called bullshit bingo - to people who didn't need it.
Although - and especially - we don't have anything to sell here, it could even be - figuratively - a selling point not to follow the bandwagon. We are really lucky in this regard.

You should rather define what is not working and how upvotes could solve this (without leading to the effects I described).
What can an upvote do what verbal feedback cannot do (aside from being potentially more hip or new - and I would seriously even doubt that)? Especially, if you have to rate the upvotes, like you believe? Perhaps we could have a voting system for votes :shifty:

Edit2: now that it could get interesting... I think these are some legitimate questions (and concerns).
nnnik

13 Jun 2018, 23:21

I know that I would change my behavior. And this is neither exaggerated nor immature (the only counter arguments you provided).
With your posts you have pretty much proven some of jeeswgs points. (By calling his entire attitude immature you essentially prove his "dog piling" point.)

You do not provide any counter arguments to the arguments provided by gregster or jeeswg at least I haven't seen any except for the claims that these arguments are immature or excegerated.

I could provide more arguments here but I do not see the reason if the predictable destructive response is "immature" or "exaggerated".

Can I take the fact that you stopped talking to gregster as an withdrawal of your suggestion?
Recommends AHK Studio
Flipeador

14 Jun 2018, 03:26

You can take as fact what you want, there is nothing more to say on my part. I find it regrettable that you have only made two comments where you do not argue anything and come to make that poor comment.
I'm not willing to discuss anything with people who refused from the beginning without argument anything. Much less someone who only put +1 and waited last to tell me this. It is more than clear your negative attitude. I hardly made my first comment, nobody stopped to think about it, not even a little.
I say what I think, and I honestly do not agree with the comparisons of gregster. That is all.
nnnik

14 Jun 2018, 04:25

You made 10 comments so far - not even counting the edits.
What are you trying to tell use with "I didnt even made my first comment"

And yes my general opinion of upvotes in this forum is negative.
Now it is your job to provide arguments which could change my opinion.
Then Im going to prove my arguments and try to disprove your arguments.
However just saying "I disagree" is not any kind of valid argument - you need to state why you disagree.
Recommends AHK Studio
Helgef

14 Jun 2018, 12:12

I appreciate the good intentions, and if used properly, as described by Exaskryz, certainly no harm would come, and I'd probably use it too. However, I believe in the more pessimistic view of gregster. To me, this has already been proven by bad experiences on the forum related to post count statistics.

Cheers.
joedf

15 Jun 2018, 13:03

I think this is related to a previous discussion of a kudos system. But I think it was ruled out. Good point have been made.
I have to look for it...
Otherwise I just post a +1 post, and additionally we the mark solved feature already. :think:

As a side note:
I mean no disrespect, but if this conversation gets too personal, I will have to lock it.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
joedf

15 Jun 2018, 13:11

Okay, here’s what I found:
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=13066
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=43644

It seems it was voted for, but I never got a response for it. Also it would help a lot if a plugin exists because it takes time to develop it. Like the last plugin I did with bruttosozialprodukt for custom notifications on phpbb 3.0
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Alibaba

06 Aug 2018, 15:55

This thread has gone silent for a while now and i constantly feel like I'm bring old threads to life because of my inexcusable AWOL time :oops: but I'd like to say, that i really like the "accepted answer" feature and find it very sufficient. Like many others, i dont see a need for a +1 feature. Systems like that lead to comparison between users, not based on quality, but based on quantity. In my opinion any possibility to compare users involves the risk of propagating conflicts and we should very deeply weigh up such decisions.
I am also against counting how many topics were solved by a user, based on the same reason. The status quo with "accepted answers" fits our needs the best, since this feature provides a fast way to mark a post as "helpful/good quality" and does not need (just as it is an advantage of "+1") an extra post.
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
joedf

06 Aug 2018, 16:13

Alibaba wrote:... my inexcusable AWOL time :oops:
That’s fine, glad you’re back :+1: ;)
MancioDellaVega

25 Jun 2020, 11:01

I'm total agree with the +1 vote for all post especially the post with code...and naturally below the post There must be names
all those who voted...
Courses on AutoHotkey

Return to “Forum Issues”