Copy / paste from Excel to multiple fields in browser

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
fortynightsNC

Copy / paste from Excel to multiple fields in browser

02 Aug 2018, 13:36

I'm not a programmer and I'm researching this issue for a small business.

They basically need to be able to copy information from a simple Excel spreadsheet to an online form that has multiple fields. My Google searches brought me to Autohotkey and I don't know if t his is something that can be done.

I can provide images of the Excel spreadsheet and the online form if anyone is curious. We'd be willing to pay a fee for someone's time if you can help with this issue, simply because I don't have time to research all of this. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide!
TLM

Re: Copy / paste from Excel to multiple fields in browser

02 Aug 2018, 15:25

Hi there, yes It's exactly what ahk is designed to do. The Excel part is easy. Does it matter which browser you use?
You should register too :)
fortynights

02 Aug 2018, 15:52

OK, I registered. :)

I THINK we have to use Chrome but I'm double-checking with the program manager on this part.
fortynights

02 Aug 2018, 16:04

OK, she got back to me. She says the online form works better in Chrome but it does work in IE, but occasionally there are issues "depending on which version of IE you use."
Vh_

02 Aug 2018, 20:21

Yes, this is very easy to do using COM with IE and Excel!

I highly recommend checking Joe Glines website for excellent COM learning. This is where I learned a lot of COM. He also has some tools on the site that are very helpful, such as iWB2 learner for getting element names in webpages and then also a tool to help with IE automation.

http://the-automator.com/web-scraping-with-autohotkey/

http://the-automator.com/excel-autohotkey/

Try this Excel COM Example. Have an excel spreadsheet open then run the script. I put a delay between lines to slow it down for the example.
#SingleInstance, Force
XL := ComObjActive("Excel.Application") ;Create an object to the active excel window

XL.Range("A1").Select ;select a specific cell

XL.ActiveCell.Value := "Hello" ;use the active cell
Sleep, 500
XL.ActiveCell.Offset(1,0).Value := "There" ;Offset from active cell by (1 row, 0 column)
sleep, 500
XL.ActiveCell.Offset(1,1).Value := "and over here!" ;Offset from active cell by (1 row, 1 column)
sleep, 500
SomeDataVar := XL.Range("B2").Value ;store the value of a cell as a variable

Msgbox, % SomeDataVar ;see what is in the variable

Please let me know if I can help. I use Excel and IE with COM daily.
fortynights

03 Aug 2018, 08:05

OK, thank you so much! We'll do some digging and I'll send any questions we might have. We really appreciate the tips!

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”