.xlsx file is not saving into CSV (Comma delimited) extension with text formatting. Please help?

Talk about anything
Sabestian Caine

.xlsx file is not saving into CSV (Comma delimited) extension with text formatting. Please help?

16 Mar 2019, 11:07

I am trying to save a .xlsx file into CSV (Comma delimited), but it is not saving the file with text formatting.

Please look at these images-

.xlsx file with text formatting-
16_03_19 @9_12_56.PNG
16_03_19 @9_12_56.PNG (7.35 KiB) Viewed 2311 times

When i save as file into CSV (Comma delimited), then it first give an warning message and then removes the text formatting. When i opens the same .csv file then it shows the data like this-

same file after saving in CSV (Comma delimited) extension-
16_03_19 @9_27_40.PNG
16_03_19 @9_27_40.PNG (4.51 KiB) Viewed 2311 times

In fact i want to keep the zeros before the data entered into the range a1:a10. But when i save it into csv extension, then it removes pre zeros from the data.

Please tell and guide me- is there any way to keep zero before data in csv extension?

Note- I am using excel 2007 on windows 7 32 bit.

Thanks a lot..
I don't normally code as I don't code normally.
oldbrother

Re: .xlsx file is not saving into CSV (Comma delimited) extension with text formatting. Please help?

17 Mar 2019, 06:41

The reason is when Excel opens the csv file, it automatically converts all the cells to numbers. Try to importing the file as "text"
Ahk_fan

Re: .xlsx file is not saving into CSV (Comma delimited) extension with text formatting. Please help?

17 Mar 2019, 11:51

if you open csv with a editor (like notepad) you will see formatted text
regards,
AHK_fan :)
https://hr-anwendungen.de
Sabestian Caine

17 Mar 2019, 12:28

oldbrother wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 06:41
The reason is when Excel opens the csv file, it automatically converts all the cells to numbers. Try to importing the file as "text"
Thanks dear oldbrother for your good answer. Please tell me what is the purpose of csv files? i.e. why we need to use .csv files? as they are not excel files as they don't contain the features of excel and if they are just like note pad then we should use notepad instead. Please tell me what is the basic reason for making .csv files. Thanks a lot..
I don't normally code as I don't code normally.
SOTE

17 Mar 2019, 13:09

I can't speak for what others might think, but my opinion is that you really don't need Excel (.xlsx), other than it being the dominant format on the Windows OS and used in business. Excel is often something that people are semi-forced to use, because that's what is in the office and/or their friends can't use other formats. There is say .ods, which is the format of Open Office and LibreOffice, but Microsoft would prefer that you use their's instead. And out of habit, many people and companies follow along. Microsoft, but to be fair so does it's competition, tries to lock you into their format and group of products.

Programmatically and agnostically, .csv files are more universal, and arguably better. As it's just data, more programs can use it, including those that you create. Your program could do all the formatting and visual effects. This includes your friends or business partners being able to use .csv as well. When you stop and think about it, those numbers that you are saving, don't need all kinds of additional crap injected into it by Microsoft or other companies. However, if you do that, you won't have all kinds of formatting and fluff that others might want, expect, or are used to seeing. So it's a kind of depends situation. If you or others that you are dealing with don't need fluff, then .csv files are fine. If they need or want the fluff, then there you go, Excel and .xlsx format.

Another aspect of .csv files is they are easier to import or export from different types of databases. Of course there is the Microsoft Access database, but it's not so dominant in this area. There are many other types of database software from many different companies in use. But again, that's relative. If the people you are dealing with only want to use Excel and .xlsx, then there might not be any other choice, but to import or export out to that format from the database that you are using. Though when databases are involved, people and companies do tend to be a bit more flexible, versus situations where they want to just view a spreadsheet or PowerPoint presentation. PowerPoint being another tricky topic and format, where it depends if you are just presenting it or that people want to view copies of the presentation. Maybe they will accept it as a PDF or maybe they will expect a .ppt. It kind of shows how dominant Microsoft has been in terms of market share and people's minds, even though something else could be used.
tank

17 Mar 2019, 15:21

Ahk_fan wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 11:51
if you open csv with a editor (like notepad) you will see formatted text
This is the right answer. the problem is that Excel does not know the datatype. If however you are stuck on using excel you can trick it by prepending an apostrophe to your data but you loose sort-ability
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”