but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
tidbit

Re: New forum sections proposal.

05 Apr 2019, 10:53

1) A place to discuss Autohotkey and Autohotkey accessories.
2) Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
3) Got something Autohotkey related that isn't a piece of code? Want to share a thought or question about AHK itself? Post it here.
4) "Why is it BGR?", "Why no array->string?", "How do /you/ use ahk?", "AHK on Linux?!", "Webinars!", "AHK Competitions!"... That type of stuff belongs here
too lazy to think of more subtitles for now.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
jeeswg

05 Apr 2019, 10:59

- That's great tidbit. Nice suggestions. I was finding it really hard, glad I asked around.
- It's hard to find a good catch-all term. So either you say A but not B. Or some long list.
- Even coming up with a good list is tricky because it could be too prescriptive, or it doesn't really capture the essence of the forum. You've managed to come up with good list items that do capture the essence.
- Hence I thought, ultimately, describe it as the catch-all forum, for things not suited to other forums.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
tank

05 Apr 2019, 11:11

tidbit wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 10:53
I like it can you figure out how to do it or do you need me or Joe to do it?
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
tidbit

05 Apr 2019, 17:52

unfortunately I have very little (basically none, been over a decade) phpbb backend experience. I'd rather someone who knows handle the setup.
I like #1 best, because KOTH reference :P but lots of users probably won't get it. You choose.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

06 Apr 2019, 09:05

So... by Joe, you mean tidbit? ;)
Okay, I've noticed I had already made the C++ forum but I had misconfigured it so it never showed up... my bad :b
EDIT: okay, I've moved C++ posts to the new subforum.
Not sure where the general ahk goes? is it just General -> AutoHotkey ? I'm confused :crazy:
And for asm, we can moved these posts in progressively...
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

06 Apr 2019, 10:07

This is great, it looks so cool, the C++ and ASM subforums.
Other Programming Languages - AutoHotkey Community
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=23
Gradually, all of the things I wished for on the forum / AHK exe have come true!
Yeah, for the forum name/location, check with tidbit.
Btw just FYI, the TDM-GCC (C++) machine code for AHK machine code functions could go either in C++ or ASM. I don't mind which, I'm just mentioning.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
tidbit

06 Apr 2019, 10:43

joedf wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 09:05
Not sure where the general ahk goes? is it just General -> AutoHotkey ? I'm confused :crazy:
it could be in the AHK section with a name like "General Discussion"
or it could be put in the General section (where Offtopic is) and named "AutoHotkey Discussion"
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
joedf

06 Apr 2019, 11:50

jeeswg wrote:
Btw just FYI, the TDM-GCC (C++) machine code for AHK machine code functions could go either in C++ or ASM. I don't mind which, I'm just mentioning.
Sure, remember if you want a topic moved just bring it up with a moderator or admin, or me :+1:
tidbit wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 10:43
it could be in the AHK section with a name like "General Discussion"
or it could be put in the General section (where Offtopic is) and named "AutoHotkey Discussion"
Was thinking that. not sure. Maybe I'll do the later and say on top of the current suggested desc, not so much coding, but more conceptual? things around and about?
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
SOTE

06 Apr 2019, 12:21

In seeing this, I feel strongly that AutoHotkey needs an Abandoned Scripts and Project Partner section. Examples are Pulovers Macro Creator (which is an award winning program) and IronAHK (which is a C# version of AutoHotkey).

I think that in a lot of cases, people don't realize that a script has been abandoned. Often feeling they don't want to impose or go against the wishes of the original author, but that person might no longer be with us or has completely moved on to something else. If the license is wide open for forking, then a group of people could get together and keep a project going. Probably, some criteria is needed to state a script is abandoned. I'm thinking if it hasn't been updated in 2 years and nobody can get in contact with the original author. By having someplace where abandoned scripts are identified, it might motivate various people to tinker with it.

With Project Partners, I think this is needed, because of the size of a script or that an individual might lack the necessary skills or time to do everything needed. Case in point would be restarting IronAHK, forking it, or doing something similar in C# or another programming language. It can be something smaller, like updating a library. It could be a place where a script writer can ask for help on a project. Then a team can be formed. This appears to go hand and hand with Abandoned Scripts as well, where a team might need to be formed as well.
Last edited by SOTE on 06 Apr 2019, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
SOTE

06 Apr 2019, 12:34

jeeswg wrote:
This is great, it looks so cool, the C++ and ASM subforums.
Other Programming Languages - AutoHotkey Community
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=23
Gradually, all of the things I wished for on the forum / AHK exe have come true!
Yeah, for the forum name/location, check with tidbit.
I do understand giving preferential treatment to C++, because the source code of AutoHotkey is in that language, but do not understand doing so for ASM. I argue that C# should be the second subforum. I've seen much more interest and usefulness involving C#, which can lead to more cross-platform possibilities (Linux, Mac, Android), then with those tinkering with Assembly. No offense, I know Assembly is the "mother language", but people aren't trying to burn their eyes out writing programs in it. Especially when they could use C instead in most cases. If Assembly gets a subforum, then arguably so should Object Pascal, Red, and JavaScript.

The only reason I see for highlighting C++ is to help bring along potential developers. And if that's the case, then why not spotlight C# too? That's the future that Microsoft has chose and that's much more likely to help AutoHotkey become cross-platform (Linux, Mac, Android).

Debatably, a subforum spotlight should be- C, C++, and C#. There is a lot of synergy and connections between these languages. And if ASM will really be about MCode (machine code), then why not call the subforum just MCode and not ASM. This way it won't confuse the issue.
SOTE

06 Apr 2019, 13:02

joedf wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 11:50
jeeswg wrote:
Sure, remember if you want a topic moved just bring it up with a moderator or admin, or me :+1:
If the focus is going to be on MCode (machine code) should it not be in it's own subforum? The Assembly language and MCode are not the same thing. In fact, C could be used instead of C++. You also could probably use Pascal functions too for MCode, but that's a discussion for another time.

I think using ASM as the title of the subforum will likely create confusion or will be mislabeling, if it's really going to be about MCode, with C and C++ functions and small programs used for MCode4GCC. It also doesn't make sense to put MCode in a C++ subforum, as that's debatably outside of the scope of the language. I would think the discussion would be specific to C++ code.

Lastly, why no love for C and C#? C is not C++. There are differences, particularly when OOP enters the conversation. And C# is stamped with the Microsoft seal of approval, they made it clear that's their future direction. So why not have all the Cs combined in the subforum (C, C++, and C#)?
joedf

06 Apr 2019, 14:07

I learned C, no so much C++. But I would group them together, because having too many categories would up with wanting more categories, and too many of them defeats the purpose of categories...
jeeswg

06 Apr 2019, 14:15

- @SOTE:
- I feel 'Abandoned Scripts' is too specific.
- Pulover's Macro Creator already has a forum (minus the apostrophe).
- For IronAHK, either it could have its own forum, or, we could have a C# forum.
- I asked for a C++ forum, with the AHK source code in mind.
- I would keep C++ and C# completely separate, IMO it would create a mess, and the languages are completely different, but I would consider arguments for combining them.
- If people wanted to resurrect a script/library, Scripts and Functions would currently be the best place. I think a Collaboration forum is a fair idea, *BUT*, so far I haven't seen *one* AHK collaboration project. Every project is maintained by one person exclusively. If you can think of any exceptions, be my guest and mention them.
- I'm still in favour of a Collaboration forum, but at the moment, no-one's collaborating.

- My reason for singling out ASM, is that ASM is used essentially as standard AHK code in AHK scripts. But it's far better to separate it out from Ask For Help.
- Also:
- ASM is used by multiple languages.
- ASM needs more support/detail than higher-level languages, and is comparatively badly served by existing forums.
- ASM could become a large forum, with the many types of ASM available e.g. FASM, MASM.
- ASM itself is used by the AHK source code.
- The friendliness, relatively large size, and focus on practicality of the AHK forum, plus the difficulty of ASM, could make the AHK forum the best place on the Internet to discuss ASM.

- Any language used by an AutoHotkey fork, could be worthy of a subforum in Other Programming Languages.
- Many of the languages you've mentioned have essentially never been discussed on these forums, unlike C++/ASM.
- Re. C, I think people know that C++ infers C/C++. And that C would be something that would be OK to discuss in a C++ forum.
- Thanks for your post.
gregster

06 Apr 2019, 16:37

Pulover's Macro Creator seems to be a bad example. Although it seems to be a quite good application, for years it doesn't even generate enough interest with the knowledgable AHK crowd as it is, with an own forum.

I think we have to realise that the target group for this recorder is not really the same like the people who are interested in real programming in AHK (the questions in its own forum seem usually quite basic level, but since nobody from the usual help crowd is interested in the macro recorder or didn't use it even once, they don't get answered anyway if not one of the more experienced users of the recorder comes around.) That's why I doubt that someone would want to take it over... at least there seems to be no one interest to engage with its users (and further development without giving basic support seems pretty pointless)

Hence, it doesn't really fit in the forum - at least in its current state. Its target group is rather the non-programming crowd... well, perhaps there is still hope that a few of these people switch to pure AHK, if their questions don't get a response ;) . So we might leave it as it is :shifty: as long as there is no one else available to host (and support) it.
SOTE

07 Apr 2019, 16:07

jeeswg wrote:
- For IronAHK, either it could have its own forum, or, we could have a C# forum.
- I asked for a C++ forum, with the AHK source code in mind.
- I would keep C++ and C# completely separate, IMO it would create a mess, and the languages are completely different, but I would consider arguments for combining them.
I believe C# is a bigger picture perspective in creating cross-platform applications and solutions. In addition, if you go through the help forums and various old AutoHotkey links, you will see a significant amount of C# related content. In fact, the amount of C# related content rivals that of C++, if not more. Many AHK scripters are directly mixing C# code with their AHK scripts to create various kinds of solutions.

C# content shouldn't take away from C++ discussions anymore than C discussions would. There are clear and strong links between the languages, making it easier to understand the others. And the mix of C, C++, and C# would arguably create a diverse and very strong subforum. Instead of just a select few members engaging in that forum, you will likely get higher user views and more engagement, which I would think is partially the point of creating the subforum.

This diversity and increased engagement wouldn't take away from developing talent in working with the AHK source code, if anything, you will now have a wider talent pool (from related programming languages) and increase the eyes looking at AHK source code in the forum. C and C# coders would debatably be the next likely candidates to take an interest in the AHK source code, outside of someone already knowledgeable aobut C++.
jeeswg wrote:
- Re. C, I think people know that C++ infers C/C++. And that C would be something that would be OK to discuss in a C++ forum.
Actually, I don't think that's entirely true, when a forum is labelled C++ that those coding in C feel so welcomed. Debatably, those that are C++ coders probably feel comfortable discussing C, but possibly not the other way around and for those that code only in C. So it might be good to clearly indicate that C only discussions or issues are welcomed, without C++ coders demanding they should or must switch over to their preferred language.

Very much appreciate the discussion on this.
SOTE

07 Apr 2019, 16:14

joedf wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 14:07
I learned C, no so much C++. But I would group them together, because having too many categories would up with wanting more categories, and too many of them defeats the purpose of categories...
And so debatably C# should be added to the mix, making it C/C++/C#.

I've done some Google digging and have seen a significant amount of C# content often mixed in so many threads. It's about time to put it properly in some place, and it looks like the subforum would be the place. I think there is enough of a connection between these C family languages to warrant them be in the same subforum.
jeeswg

07 Apr 2019, 20:29

- Since you posted, the C++ subforum was renamed to C/C++.
- I looked through the Other Programming Languages forum, and the most common occurrences were C# and Python.
- I have noticed some CLR (C#) stuff in the past, and reasonably frequent C# stuff on the forum, plus there is IronAHK, and work by lexikos and evilC. So actually, there's a pretty good case for a C# subforum.
- As a side note, since the forum is written in PHP, there could be a PHP subforum.
nnnik

08 Apr 2019, 03:11

Despite the C in front of its name C# is not that closely related to C.
Putting it into its own subforum rather than the C/C++ forum makes more sense.
Recommends AHK Studio

Return to “About This Community”