Reminding new members to use code tags

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
gregster

Re: Reminding new members to use code tags

03 May 2019, 19:29

Well, I personally dislike your signature a lot more than missing code tags. So I am good with anything that makes it go away in its current form...😝
Scr1pter

04 May 2019, 09:24

gregster, at least I try and do something, rather than just moaning and criticizing...
Please use [code][/code] when posting code!
Keyboard: Logitech G PRO - Mouse: Logitech G502 LS - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - AHK version: 1.1.33.09
gregster

04 May 2019, 12:46

Well, I see the good intentions, and I just stated my feelings about your signature, since you brought it up yourself that someone else didn't like it.

Visually, I feel it highly distracting (which might be the point of it). Like I said before, I don't see the code tag issue as a big problem and doubt the effectivity of nagging procedures or new strict rules about using code tags. Most users who stay for longer adapt themselves after a few posts, because they see the benefit of the tags (and get used to the forum interface). So, you are right that I criticize your signature - but that's already all. While I often explain how to use code tags to new users, I have never moaned about it.

Your signature on the other hand is affecting many, if not most, users that don't do anything "wrong"... how about you use it selectively, if you must, and not add it in every post. in the "Full Editor & Preview" you can deactivate "Attach a signature" in the options. Of course, this is an extra step every time - but what does it good, for example in this topic here, to have it in every single post of yours? Where are the code tag violators in this thread?

Edit: You can change the default for sigs in the User Control Panel. I guess, you could set "Attach my signature by default" to "No" in the Edit posting defaults https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=post and only add your signature via the options of the "Full Editor & Preview" in threads where you see it really necessary (and then perhaps only once per thread or page, as long as no code tags are used). That would be great!
AlleyArtwork

04 May 2019, 13:37

I admit i havent read all 4 pages of this topic yet but, when I'm in the full editor and preview mode, i don't see a "CODE" button, instead i see a "</>" button.

Additionally, I think it's an older crowd that is more familiar with Bulletin Board systems and their syntax. The older I get, the more i see people moving away from forums and into other avenues of conversation that is more real time. I'm not complaining about forums. I'm getting old and I still like them.

Some ideas maybe?
  • Introduce the code button on the Quick Reply section
  • I'm not sure if these are handled by Styles, or actual images, but it should be possible to edit either one to make the "Code" button at least more visible or prominent.
    • If it is an actual image, you could replace the image with... a brighter/bolded/different colour/highlighted image in the styles/themes/images directory.
    • If it's text controlled by a stylesheet, you could remove it from the default style, or assign a new style just to that button to do something similar
  • Change the verbiage of the button to say "AHK Code" or "Insert AHK code" or something? (though, that's a big button)
Scr1pter

04 May 2019, 15:52

gregster wrote:
04 May 2019, 12:46
Your signature on the other hand is affecting many, if not most, users that don't do anything "wrong"... how about you use it selectively, if you must, and not add it in every post. in the "Full Editor & Preview" you can deactivate "Attach a signature" in the options. Of course, this is an extra step every time - but what does it good, for example in this topic here, to have it in every single post of yours? Where are the code tag violators in this thread?

The problem is that I'm not Uri Geller.
This means I cannot foreseen who will read my post and who won't.
My signature isn't thread-relating, if/when I use it, it doesn't necessarily mean that anybody within the thread did anything wrong.

Anyway, I'll upgrade/downgrade/remove it, once some GIF gets included in the rules or as tutorial.
(Because it's mostly made for beginners.)
Please use [code][/code] when posting code!
Keyboard: Logitech G PRO - Mouse: Logitech G502 LS - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - AHK version: 1.1.33.09
gregster

04 May 2019, 16:22

Scr1pter wrote:
04 May 2019, 15:52
My signature isn't thread-relating, if/when I use it, it doesn't necessarily mean that anybody within the thread did anything wrong.
Yes, I know. I said that I wished you would use it thread-related - in threads where there is a clear reason. Anyway... let's hope for the future.
Xtra

04 May 2019, 17:42

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.76 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
OMG WHERE IS THE CODE BUTTON? wtfbbq :facepalm:

:arrow: id rather see no code tags vs walls of text (no indentation)
Scr1pter

04 May 2019, 18:00

I think we should consider that when new users register to the forums, they are not able to set the forum style.
(During that process)
This means all users will see the same.

Once they know how to use it, they will/should be able to perform it for other styles as well.
I believe Simplicity is the default theme anyway.

Cheers!
Scr1pter

27 May 2019, 08:10

Has any image/GIF been added inside of/ during the registration process anyway?
Because I see a lot of such threads:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=64912

I've never received any feedback for the GIF which I created a while ago.

Cheers!
tank

02 Jun 2019, 20:21

ok i just did it. it will apply to new users in ask for help and gaming only
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
SOTE

14 Aug 2019, 00:50

When I see moderators editing posts of newbies about code tags, maybe they should clarify which buttons are code tags. In many cased the newbies will continually ignore the kind moderators fixing their posts a few to several times. 1) I think because the newbies don't know which are the code tag buttons. 2) There is no picture or link to a help page showing how to use code tags.

Possible example that moderators can put when fixing newbie posts. Also keep in mind other newbies and lurkers might see the corrected post, which might help when the post or decide to join the AutoHotkey forums.

This button is for code tags, </>, please use them. For more information, How To Use Code Tags link.
tidbit

14 Aug 2019, 10:14

So is the gif/video created above having minimal effect since staff still has to edit a bunch?
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?

Return to “Forum Issues”