[issue] AHK_H won't start on Windows 10

Post AHK_H specific scripts & libraries and discuss the usage and development of HotKeyIt's fork/branch
norths1

[issue] AHK_H won't start on Windows 10

08 May 2019, 14:43

hey, i noticed that some Windows 10 users can't run any AHK_H scripts, even though they have VC++ and dotnet installed, but some of them can. does anybody know what the trouble is and how to solve it?

i've been ignoring that issue for a couple of years, but today i've been asked about that again and I decided to ask.
i don't expect someone to answer me, I'm just going to leave this here
norths1

Re: [issue] AHK_H won't start on Windows 10

08 May 2019, 16:37

They don't. After trying to launch a script, nothing happens, no messages show up, the process just terminates itself.
SOTE

09 May 2019, 05:49

norths1 wrote:
08 May 2019, 14:43
hey, i noticed that some Windows 10 users can't run any AHK_H scripts, even though they have VC++ and dotnet installed, but some of them can. does anybody know what the trouble is and how to solve it?

i've been ignoring that issue for a couple of years, but today i've been asked about that again and I decided to ask.
i don't expect someone to answer me, I'm just going to leave this here
I'm confused. Why does your AHK_H scripts need VC++ or dotnet (.NET) installed? AHK_H scripts can compile into executables (.exe) and run without additional programs.
norths1

09 May 2019, 09:22

SOTE wrote:
I'm confused. Why do AHK_H scripts need VC++ or dotnet (.NET) to be installed for you?
i'm not saying they do, idk what exactly prevents some people from being able to run an _H script, but the important thing here is that they can't get it to work, and i wanna figure out why.

SOTE wrote:
AHK_H scripts can be compiled into executables (.exe) and run without additional programs.
it's true about AHK_L, but AHK_H is a little unstable.

HotKeyIt wrote:
08 May 2019, 15:54
i think the problem might be in one of the anti-debugging techniques
maybe you could build a debug program that would collect all relevant information for you to know what's going on and what to do to fix the bug? (i would share it with a man who can't run an _H one)
ofc if you're still supporting the project and have time for that
SOTE

09 May 2019, 12:01

norths1 wrote:
09 May 2019, 09:22
SOTE wrote:
I'm confused. Why do your AHK_H scripts need VC++ or dotnet (.NET) to be installed?
i'm not saying they do, idk what exactly prevents some people from being able to run an _H script, but the important thing here is that they can't get it to work, and i wanna figure out why.

SOTE wrote:
AHK_H scripts can be compiled into executables (.exe) and run without additional programs.
it's true about AHK_L, but AHK_H is a little unstable.

HotKeyIt wrote:
08 May 2019, 15:54
i think the problem might be in one of the anti-debugging techniques
maybe you could build a debug program that would collect all relevant information for you to know what's going on and what to do to fix the bug? (i would share it with a man who can't run an _H one)
ofc if you're still supporting the project and have time for that
Your description of how the users are running the AHK_H app is quite vague. Maybe this might help:

1) What version of AHK_H are they running?

You stated that you have been ignoring this issue for a "couple of years", so sounds like you might be running a significantly old version.

2) Are they running AHK_H compiled or uncompiled?

If you are running it as an uncompiled .ahk, is it with a new or old version of the AutoHotkey_H executable?

3) Did you write the script or did someone else?

Could be possible that code contained in the script is incompatible with the newer version of Windows you are using. Like the script was written for Windows XP or 7, and is trying to do things that don't work on Windows 10.

4) Did you check that your anti-virus software is not screwing with the AHK_H script?

You might need to make an exception for the AHK_H script. How to do this depends on the type of anti-virus software you are using.
norths1

10 May 2019, 03:07

1) the latest one (it's about all the versions actually)
2) both - if they install ahk_h, it doesn't work as well
3) it doesn't matter, ahk_h doesn't work at all
4) hmm... never thought of that, we'll check it out, thanks. Probably an antivirus trying to automatically virtualize unknown programs is preventing ahk_h from working
norths1

11 May 2019, 12:54

they say it worked on rs4, but doesn't on rs6
and they have no antivirus, so that's not it

Return to “AutoHotkey_H”