OnEvent Error

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
iPhilip

OnEvent Error

16 May 2019, 19:17

The example code below yields the following error under the latest v2.0-alpha release (2.0-a103-56441b52) when closing the Gui:

Code: Select all

Error:  Too many parameters passed to function.
Here is the code:

myGui := GuiCreate()
myGui.AddText("", "Press Alt+F4 or the X button in the title bar.")
myGui.OnEvent("Close", "myGui_Close")
myGui.Show

myGui_Close() {
    ExitApp
}
Replacing

myGui_Close() {
with

myGui_Close(thisGui) {
eliminates the error. According to the documentation declaring that parameter is optional.
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) - AutoHotkey v2.0+ (Unicode 64-bit)
lexikos

Re: OnEvent Error

16 May 2019, 22:08

The documentation is incorrect (outdated).
iPhilip

17 May 2019, 09:44

@lexikos, Thank you. The code below produces the same error. Could you point out what I am doing wrong?

myGui.OnEvent("Close", () => ExitApp())
myGui.Show
nnnik

17 May 2019, 09:56

The OnEvent method expects a function that can accept a specific amount of parameters.
You are handing it a function that doesn't accept any.
You need to make sure it can hold at least that much.

As a shorthand you could use:

myGui.OnEvent("Close", (*) => ExitApp()) ;* to accept but ignore any surplus parameters
myGui.Show
See:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=276644#p276644
lexikos wrote:
12 May 2019, 19:08
Changed function calls to throw if too many parameters are passed.
Added fn(a,*) as a means to permit but not store surplus parameters.
[...]
Recommends AHK Studio
iPhilip

17 May 2019, 16:00

nnnik wrote:
The OnEvent method expects a function that can accept a specific amount of parameters.
You are handing it a function that doesn't accept any.
You need to make sure it can hold at least that much.
@nnnik, Thank you for pointing that out. That was not the case in the previous version. (I verified it with AHK v2.0-a100-52515e2.) While I think it will cause unnecessary confusion (I first saw it implemented in this post), I am sure there are good reasons for it being that way. In any case, it seems to me that the error should read
Too manyfew parameters passed to function.
since no parameters generates the error.

nnnik wrote:
As a shorthand you could use:

myGui.OnEvent("Close", (*) => ExitApp()) ;* to accept but ignore any surplus parameters
myGui.Show
See:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=276644#p276644
lexikos wrote:
[...]
Thank you. I appreciate your help.
lexikos

17 May 2019, 18:08

iPhilip wrote:
That was not the case in the previous version.
Of course it wasn't. That is why it was written in the change log (in the announcement post), which nnnik quoted. It is very important to read the change log before downloading a new alpha release. Every new release of any kind always includes something that was not the case in the previous version, and v2 alpha releases are not intended to be backward-compatible.
No, you are confusing "passed to" with "defined by". The GUI itself passes parameters too many parameters to your function, which defines too few parameters. The exception is thrown when the function is called, at which point there's no way to make the distinction. There's just a function, and a list of parameters being passed.

At some point I will revise the error handling code to permit more informative error messages without bloating the code. For instance, "Function {name} requires between {min} and {max} parameters, but was called with {actual}."

After encountering this in my own scripts, I considered allowing => expr as short-hand for (*) => expr. Often the parameters aren't needed because the values are already available in the enclosing scope. If the function should strictly require 0 parameters, it can be written as () => expr.
kczx3

17 May 2019, 20:29

That’s unfortunate. Seems silly just to have to remember to type the asterisk as a means to throw away parameters.
Helgef

18 May 2019, 00:17

I disagree, it helps avoid errors and shows intent. Perhaps the () must not be required, but the * should, for fat arrow that is.

Cheers.
kczx3

18 May 2019, 06:03

How would it reduce errors?
swagfag

18 May 2019, 07:44

do u not consider passing an incorrect number of parameters an error?
u couldnt do it for normal functions and now u cant do it for callables anymore(whereas u previously could)

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=64310
i get that its annoying having to go back and change scripts that used to rely on this inconsistency, but i think ahk is ultimately better for it
Helgef

18 May 2019, 09:01

kczx3 wrote:
18 May 2019, 06:03
How would it reduce errors?
Just one example, %f%(obj,prop) when you meant %f%(obj.prop) where f.maxparams == 1 (and f isn't variadic).

Cheers.
kczx3

18 May 2019, 11:55

I still don’t see how that matters when I simply want to call a function and don’t care about what is passed in. This seems like a loss in flexibility
swagfag

18 May 2019, 16:02

well, technically, if u wanted to "simply call a function and not care about what was passed in", u had to have defined a variadic sink as the function's last argument.
u didnt have to do this for callbacks, function references and the like. now u do
does it make sense these two to behave differently:

greet() {
	MsgBox 'hello'
}

greet('garbage', 'goes', 'in') ; throws

fn := Func('greet')
%fn%('garbage', 'goes', 'in') ; this is ok, though
i get that its convenient/flexible as u put it when it comes to working with guis, but i have to question the degree to which having to punch out an additional asterisk impairs this supposed flexibility
at the end of the day its gonna be a trade-off between flexibility/convenience and consistency/correctness

idk what to make of @lexikos's considerations of allowing => expr. this seems like its introducing just another special case. whats the equivalent if the handler was a normal function? there isnt any, ud have to write *. if the parser can be made to handle * => expr as @Helgef suggests, without any ambiguities, i think this could be acceptable, since arg1 => expr is a thing already.
or maybe the gui system can be changed to only pass in as many parameters as the handler defines and keep the pre-103 syntax, but will yet again end up being just another special case and it will only work for the gui system and not any user-defined stuff
or maybe the pendulum could swing the other way entirely? keep everything as it used to be and lift the restrictions on functions requiring an exact amount of parameters??

the way it is now makes the most sense to me. if the asterisk is that much of a hindrance u could always make a macro for it
lexikos

19 May 2019, 17:19

=> expr. this seems like its introducing just another special case. whats the equivalent if the handler was a normal function? there isnt any, ud have to write *.
If => e is shorthand for (*) => e, the shorthand for a full function definition would be => e, and the equivalent would be a normal explicit definition. The entire purpose of => is brevity.

(*) is a significantly larger percentage of the overall function in (*) => expression than in

function(*) {
    return expression
}
(*) => looks pretty weird in the middle of an expression, whereas (arg, *) => at least looks somewhat like a parameter list.
iPhilip

22 May 2019, 16:40

lexikos wrote:
iPhilip wrote:
That was not the case in the previous version.
Of course it wasn't. That is why it was written in the change log (in the announcement post), which nnnik quoted. It is very important to read the change log before downloading a new alpha release. Every new release of any kind always includes something that was not the case in the previous version, and v2 alpha releases are not intended to be backward-compatible.
I appreciate the fact that you document the changes in the change log. I did read it before downloading the new alpha release. What I did not appreciate is the implication of the statements
lexikos wrote:
on the OnEvent method. Upon further reading of the documentation, I came across this statement in the Callback Parameters section:
The callback's first explicit parameter is always Object; i.e. the Gui or GuiControl object which raised the event.
Thus, now I see that the Callback must allow at least one parameter, thus requiring the (*) in the above example. My understanding is that the word explicit in the above statement means any parameter that is not a bound parameter. For reference, the code below shows an example of the use of a bound parameter:

myGui.OnEvent("Close", Func("RealFn").Bind("string"))
myGui.Show

RealFn(bound_param, object) {
    MsgBox "Bound parameter: " bound_param "`nGui Title: " object.Title
}
lexikos wrote:
No, you are confusing "passed to" with "defined by". The GUI itself passes parameters too many parameters to your function, which defines too few parameters. The exception is thrown when the function is called, at which point there's no way to make the distinction. There's just a function, and a list of parameters being passed.
Thank you. I see the error in my thinking.
lexikos wrote:
At some point I will revise the error handling code to permit more informative error messages without bloating the code. For instance, "Function {name} requires between {min} and {max} parameters, but was called with {actual}."
I can see how that could be useful.
lexikos wrote:
After encountering this in my own scripts, I considered allowing => expr as short-hand for (*) => expr. Often the parameters aren't needed because the values are already available in the enclosing scope. If the function should strictly require 0 parameters, it can be written as () => expr.
I prefer the explicit use of (*) => expr. As @Helgef pointed out,
Helgef wrote:
18 May 2019, 00:17
... it helps avoid errors and shows intent.
lexikos

22 May 2019, 22:13

iPhilip wrote:My understanding is that the word explicit in the above statement means any parameter that is not a bound parameter.
You could interpret it that way, but no, that's not what it is referring to. "Explicit" is in contrast to "hidden" a few paragraphs up.
If the callback is a method registered by name, its hidden this parameter seamlessly receives the event sink object (that is, the object to which the method belongs). This parameter is not shown in the parameter lists in this documentation.
and the next paragraph
Since Callback can be an object, it can be a BoundFunc object which inserts additional parameters at the beginning of the parameter list and then calls another function. This is a general technique not specific to OnEvent, so is generally ignored by the rest of this documentation.
iPhilip

23 May 2019, 15:38

@lexikos Thank you for the clarification. For reference, here is an example using an event sink object:

myGui := GuiCreate(,, Events)  ; Events is the "event sink object"
myGui.OnEvent("Close", "Event_Close")  ; Callback is a method registered by name: Event_Close
myGui.Show

class Events {
   Event_Close(thisGui) {
      MsgBox "Closing Gui: " thisGui.title "`nand exiting."
   }
}
Maestr0

21 Jul 2019, 16:32

wow, ok, so during troubleshooting my issue (as mentioned earlier in this thread, I got the "Too many parameters passed to function." error), I found that when executing the tray command as stated below, it would execute function of the tray item as it was at the time when I executed the tray item, NOT the tray item as it was when the script was run. Is that by design?

OnExit("f_exit")
tray := A_TrayMenu ; For convenience.
tray.delete ; Delete the standard items.
tray.add("reload error", "Reload")
tray.add("reload no error", (*) => Reload())
tray.add("exit", "f_exit")
return

f_exit(ExitReason, ExitCode) {
	if ( ExitReason != "Reload" )
	{
		; code to execute when the script exits
		msgbox ExitReason
	} else {
		; we are reloading, so we don't need to clean up files the script has opened
		msgbox "Reloading"
	}
	ExitApp
}
to reproduce, save the code above in a script and run it with the latest AHK version (2.0-a103-56441b52 at this time).
When the script is running, change the (*) => Reload() line to something else, and then select the "reload no error" menu item.
Helgef

22 Jul 2019, 03:42

@Maestr0, I cannot observe anything like you describe. When you run a script, the file is loaded by the program and any changes to it after that doesn't affect the running process. You can even delete the file without affecting the running process.

Cheers.
Maestr0

24 Jul 2019, 10:22

Helgef wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 03:42
@Maestr0, I cannot observe anything like you describe. When you run a script, the file is loaded by the program and any changes to it after that doesn't affect the running process. You can even delete the file without affecting the running process.

Cheers.
Hmmm, it seems you're correct. I really did try it several times and I could reproduce it time and again. Weird.

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”