BEYOND Moore's Law

Talk about anything
SOTE

BEYOND Moore's Law

25 May 2019, 09:15

Moore's Law refers to the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit doubling about every two years. But it also often is used to refer to the continual doubling in computer power or processor speeds every two years. Many have argued that Moore's Law is going to be dead and that it couldn't be possible to sustain. Interesting video by Coreteks on how he thinks it will be possible to keep Moore's Law going. With one of those methods involving automatically turning single thread applications into multi-threaded ones to run on ever increasing core counts.

Intel and AMD going BEYOND Moore's Law
https://youtu.be/XW_h4KFr9js
Gio

Re: BEYOND Moore's Law

27 May 2019, 09:11

When intel announced they were halting the development of higher clock rates (i.e. over 5 GHz), people thought this was going to hugely impact processor speed improvements. The truth is that "speed" is either subjective or also related to a big number of other factors. Either way, we now know that there is a lot of room for creativity when it comes to improving processor power.
With one of those methods involving automatically turning single thread applications into multi-threaded ones to run on ever increasing core counts.
I wonder if they will ever make "glue-logic-cores" or something like that. What if all you had to do to get 100x processor power was to buy 100s of cores and then plug them in a big "power extension cord" type of thing? :lol:

Aside of wether it is possible or what are the implications of doing it, i wonder if Intel would even be willing to pursue this goal though as their current marketing efforts are focused on creating and selling premium products (i.e.: "i7 is more powerful than i5"). I do think they would be greatly benefited from being able to sell 100s of cores to a single wealthy customer though.

Also, what about the business model of Google Stadia? Processing power as a service (over the internet) can be a big thing too. This could change a lot of things.
joedf

27 May 2019, 22:27

Very interesting! :+1:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
joe_peter

26 Jan 2023, 05:50

Moore's Law, which states that the number of transistors on a microchip doubles approximately every two years, has driven the rapid advancements in technology for decades. However, as transistors continue to shrink in size, physical limitations are beginning to impede further progress. I have read the basic rules and regulations from what is not legal website, so I recommend you all if you want to read more about laws, then visit website.
boiler

26 Jan 2023, 06:30

@joe_peter — If you’re trying to say you don’t want to post a link or mention a website, then you made a good choice, considering your prior posts. However, that doesn’t mean you should make posts that don’t have a point, either. Please don’t post if you’re not adding to the discussion, which none of your posts have done yet.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”