Using this text file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/976 ... esting.ahk

I need to remove all blank lines.

I have tried this

Code: Select all

FileRead,Var,Testing.ahk
Loop  
 {
  StringReplace, Var, Var, `r`n`r`n, `r`n, UseErrorLevel
  if ErrorLevel = 0  ; No more replacements needed.
   break
 }
I have also tried "AHK No Blank Lines" by awwannaknow found here http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/7 ... ank-lines/

both leave blank lines.

Also, putting the text in a var then attempting to remove the blank lines does not work.

var =
(
The Egyptian pyramids are ancient pyramid-shaped masonry structures located in Egypt.

There are 138 pyramids discovered in Egypt as of 2008.[1][2] Most were built as tombs for the country's Pharaohs and their consorts during the Old and Middle Kingdom periods.[3][4][5]

The earliest known Egyptian pyramids are found at Saqqara, northwest of Memphis. The earliest among these is the Pyramid of Djoser (constructed 2630 BC–2611 BC) which was built during the third dynasty. This pyramid and its surrounding complex were designed by the architect Imhotep, and are generally considered to be the world's oldest monumental structures constructed of dressed masonry.[6] The estimate of the number of workers to build the pyramids range from a few thousand, twenty thousand, and up to 100,000

The most famous Egyptian pyramids are those found at Giza, on the outskirts of Cairo. Several of the Giza pyramids are counted among the largest structures ever built.[9] The Pyramid of Khufu at Giza is the largest Egyptian pyramid. It is the only one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World still in existence.

By the time of the early dynastic period of Egyptian history, those with sufficient means were buried in bench-like structures known as mastabas.[10][11]

The second historically documented Egyptian pyramid is attributed to the architect Imhotep, who planned what Egyptologists believe to be a tomb for the pharaoh Djoser. Imhotep is credited with being the first to conceive the notion of stacking mastabas on top of each other – creating an edifice composed of a number of "steps" that decreased in size towards its apex. The result was the Step Pyramid of Djoser – which was designed to serve as a gigantic stairway by which the soul of the deceased pharaoh could ascend to the heavens. Such was the importance of Imhotep's achievement that he was deified by later Egyptians
)

Loop  
 {
  StringReplace, Var, Var, `r`n`r`n, `r`n, UseErrorLevel
  if ErrorLevel = 0  ; No more replacements needed.
   break
 }

MsgBox % var

I know I can

var =
(
The Egyptian pyramids are ancient pyramid-shaped masonry structures located in Egypt.

There are 138 pyramids discovered in Egypt as of 2008.[1][2] Most were built as tombs for the country's Pharaohs and their consorts during the Old and Middle Kingdom periods.[3][4][5]

The earliest known Egyptian pyramids are found at Saqqara, northwest of Memphis. The earliest among these is the Pyramid of Djoser (constructed 2630 BC–2611 BC) which was built during the third dynasty. This pyramid and its surrounding complex were designed by the architect Imhotep, and are generally considered to be the world's oldest monumental structures constructed of dressed masonry.[6] The estimate of the number of workers to build the pyramids range from a few thousand, twenty thousand, and up to 100,000

The most famous Egyptian pyramids are those found at Giza, on the outskirts of Cairo. Several of the Giza pyramids are counted among the largest structures ever built.[9] The Pyramid of Khufu at Giza is the largest Egyptian pyramid. It is the only one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World still in existence.

By the time of the early dynastic period of Egyptian history, those with sufficient means were buried in bench-like structures known as mastabas.[10][11]

The second historically documented Egyptian pyramid is attributed to the architect Imhotep, who planned what Egyptologists believe to be a tomb for the pharaoh Djoser. Imhotep is credited with being the first to conceive the notion of stacking mastabas on top of each other – creating an edifice composed of a number of "steps" that decreased in size towards its apex. The result was the Step Pyramid of Djoser – which was designed to serve as a gigantic stairway by which the soul of the deceased pharaoh could ascend to the heavens. Such was the importance of Imhotep's achievement that he was deified by later Egyptians
)

Loop, Parse, Var,`n, 
 {
  if A_LoopField <> 
	var2 := (var2 "`n" A_loopfield )
}
MsgBox % var2 
but this is very slow on large variables.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove all blank lines on large variables very fast.

thanks
DataLife
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
Blackholyman

Re: remove blank lines

07 Oct 2014, 13:58

try something like this

string=
(

)

newstring := RegExReplace(string, "\v+", "`n")
msgbox % newstring
return
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
kon

07 Oct 2014, 14:03

Removes lines that only contain whitespace characters too:
NewString := RegExReplace(String, "(^|\r?\n)\K(\s*\r?\n)+")
DataLife

07 Oct 2014, 14:28

Blackholyman wrote:try something like this

string=
(

)

newstring := RegExReplace(string, "\v+", "`n")
msgbox % newstring
return
Perfect, thanks very much
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
DataLife

07 Oct 2014, 14:30

kon wrote:Removes lines that only contain whitespace characters too:
NewString := RegExReplace(String, "(^|\r?\n)\K(\s*\r?\n)+")
Blackholymans code seems to do that also, am I correct?

Can you give me an example?

Edit 2:28pm CST
Nevermind I found an example. thanks very much, saved me a huge headache.
Last edited by DataLife on 07 Oct 2014, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
kon

07 Oct 2014, 14:34

Try Blackholyman's example, except read "string" from a file. (Using FileRead)
In his example the spaces are removed by AHK automatically from blank lines.
If the string is read from a file, the spaces/tabs on blank lines will be preserved and therefore the lines that contain only whitespace characters will not be removed.

Edit: See Splitting a Long Line into a Series of Shorter Ones, specifically RTrim0.
DataLife

07 Oct 2014, 15:51

One more thing. When using the sort command to sort a variable alphabetically it takes into account blank spaces at the beginning of each line.

I know I can use a parsing loop to remove the spaces with

var := RegExReplace(var, "(^\s*|\s*$)") 
then rebuild the variable with the new lines without leading spaces but on large files this takes a long time.

Is there a way to tell the sort command to ignore spaces at the beginning or maybe use RegExReplace to remove them?

var =
(
                 The Egyptian pyramids are ancient pyramid-shaped 

There are 138 pyramids discovered in Egypt as of 2008.[1][2] 

The earliest known Egyptian pyramids are found at Saqqara,

The most famous Egyptian pyramids are those found at Giza

By the time of the early dynastic period of Egyptian history

The second historically documented Egyptian pyramid is attributed
)

var := RegExReplace(var, "\v+", "`n")
var := RegExReplace(var, "(^|\r?\n)\K(\s*\r?\n)+")

sort, var
MsgBox % var
kon

07 Oct 2014, 21:38

var =
(RTrim0
                 The Egyptian pyramids are ancient pyramid-shaped

There are 138 pyramids discovered in Egypt as of 2008.[1][2]

The earliest known Egyptian pyramids are found at Saqqara,

The most famous Egyptian pyramids are those found at Giza

By the time of the early dynastic period of Egyptian history

The second historically documented Egyptian pyramid is attributed
)

var := RegExReplace(var, "(^|\r?\n)\K(\s*\r?\n?)+")

Sort, var
MsgBox % var
lexikos

07 Oct 2014, 22:12

DataLife wrote:Also, putting the text in a var then attempting to remove the blank lines does not work.
About continuation sections, the manual wrote:Join: Specifies how lines should be connected together. If this option is omitted, each line except the last will be followed by a linefeed character (`n).
DataLife wrote:StringReplace, Var, Var, `r`n`r`n, `r`n, UseErrorLevel
See the problem?
ahcahc

07 Oct 2014, 23:00

var := RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s+")
DataLife

07 Oct 2014, 23:42

ahcahc wrote:var := RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s+")
Works perfectly.
That is amazing, one line of code removes all leading spaces on every line.

I am going to study the ReExReplace and see if I can figure out what is going on.

thanks very much.
DataLife

08 Oct 2014, 04:19

Using https://github.com/hi5/TF TF_RemoveBlankLines("Testing.ahk") ; use "!Testing.ahk" to overwrite source file
DataLife

08 Oct 2014, 23:20

ahcahc wrote:var := RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s+")
I studied this line and I understand how this works.

options....
`a - matches newlines
m - multiline
) end of options

pattern...
^ - ties the pattern to the beginning of a string
\s - whitespace characters
+ - A plus sign matches one or more of the preceding character

Since I am new to Regex I am struggling with something simple.

I want to also remove whitespace from the end of the string.

So I tried...
$ - ties the pattern to the end of a string

var := RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s$")
I think this does not work because of
there must be no other characters before or after it).
that would mean the whitespace could have no characters before or after it.

I know I can do this...

var := RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s+")
var := RegExReplace(var, "(^\s*|\s*$)")
but if I can remove blank lines and all whitespace before and after each line with one regex I would like to.

thanks
DataLife
ahcahc

09 Oct 2014, 00:31

var := RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s+|\s+?(?=\R$)")
var := RegExReplace(RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s+"),"\s*$")
DataLife

09 Oct 2014, 03:05

ahcahc wrote:var := RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s+|\s+?(?=\R$)")
var := RegExReplace(RegExReplace(var,"`am)^\s+"),"\s*$")
that works.
Very interesting.

thanks very much
DataLife
lexikos

10 Oct 2014, 04:23

It's not "with one regex", though...

This should do it:

t=
(

one

t w o   

three

)
t := RegExReplace(t, "^\s+|\s*(\R|$)\s*", "$1")

Loop Parse, t, `n
    s .= "|" A_LoopField "|`n"
MsgBox % s
^\s+ removes all whitespace at the start of the string (not each line).
\s* matches as much whitespace as possible, possibly including multiple newlines.
(\R|$) matches a newline or ensures that the space is at the very end of the string. If not at the end of the string, back-tracking is required (because the newline was already matched by \s*).
\s* matches whitespace after a newline (i.e. at the beginning of the next line).

This should also work:

t := RegExReplace(t, "`am)^\s+|\h+$|\R\z")
^\s+ matches whitespace which starts at the beginning of a line. For blank lines, the match includes the line-ending and continues into the next line.
\h+$ matches horizontal whitespace at the end of a line (using \s here would remove all newlines).
\R\z removes a final newline from the very end of the string, if present. \z matches only at the end of the string, like $ when the m option isn't used.
Last edited by lexikos on 10 Oct 2014, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added another regex
DataLife

11 Oct 2014, 04:44

@lexikos

Both work great!

thanks for the explanation.
All of this RegEx stuff is in black and white in the help manual but putting it all together is difficult for me.

thanks
DataLife
garry

11 Oct 2014, 13:11

thank you for the regex examples
I was just playing for a "big msgbox" to see better the result ( only a 2nd-GUI EDIT )

;========== MSGBOXx Editx 2ndGUIx ===========================
;- shows result in a big screen editfieldx ------------------
;- regex example to remove blank lines
;-http://ahkscript.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4810

/*
preselect:=a_desktop
FileSelectFile, F1,1,%preselect%,Select your file,*.txt;*.bas
if F1 =
   return
Fileread,string,%f1%
*/

;/*
string=
(

Line1

Line2

Line3

)
;*/

;- regex to remove blank lines ---------
e4x := RegExReplace(string, "`am)^\s+|\h+$|\R\z")

;- show this result in a "big-msgbox" (Edit)
gosub,msgbox2
msgbox, 262208, ,%e4x%
return
;-------------------------------------------------------------

;-------------------------------------------------------------
Msgbox2:
WA=%A_screenwidth%
HA=%A_screenheight%
H1 :=(HA*95)/100
W1 :=(WA*99)/100
EH1:=(HA*94)/100
EW1:=(WA*98)/100