phpBB issues

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
User avatar
tank
Posts: 2765
Joined: 28 Sep 2013, 22:15
Facebook: charlie.simmons.7334
Google: ttnnkkrr
GitHub: ttnnkkrr
Location: Irving TX
Contact:

Re: phpBB issues

11 Jul 2019, 09:07

nnnik wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 16:48
Google Chrome generally seems
do rational people actually use something else? :HeHe: :trollface:
nnnik wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 16:48
The site is neither intended ...
While this is true maybe there is more i can do i dont know. this weekend seems like a good time to investigate. :thumbup:
nnnik wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 16:48
We might have to lower
I really hesitate here. One of the main points of going back to phpbb was to support code posts
nnnik wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 16:48
If you want to host and share your code
I have an idea about only showing limited characters but providing a more button to expose the entire code on demand. Perhaps this is a better option
nnnik wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 16:48
add another software
While it would be work a private git system is starting to appear a better choice
nnnik wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 16:48
Jusging from what tank said
these are mostly DDOS attacks that are mostly thwarted by cloudflare but this isn't handled when multiple pages are used in sequence
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
https://www.facebook.com/ahkscript.org
If you have forum suggestions please submit a pull request
Check Out WebWriter
Thanks Tank :thumbup:
User avatar
nnnik
Posts: 4316
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 01:01
Location: Germany

Re: phpBB issues

11 Jul 2019, 10:16

tank wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 09:07
While this is true maybe there is more i can do i dont know. this weekend seems like a good time to investigate. :thumbup:
Glad looking forward to what you can find out :thumbup:
Github uses similar highlighting technique but doesn't have the extra <a> tags that we use for our links - it seems to be a lot faster - might be the reason why.
tank wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 09:07
While it would be work a private git system is starting to appear a better choice
Said git system is almost a requirement for a working package manager.
We should probably expose the system to the forum users as a folder they can store and save things in.
The usage of the system and supplying code should be a requirement for the scripts and functions forums.
Recommends AHK Studio
User avatar
jeeswg
Posts: 6904
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 01:58
Location: UK

Re: phpBB issues

26 Jul 2019, 19:18

- @joedf: Thanks for the info.
Helgef wrote:Yes the problem is huge posts, there is no reason to maintain the feature huge posts when attachments already exist for that purpose, and other uses.
...
I'm not sure the people who would invest their free time on this agrees.
...
What exactly do you need huge posts for?
- Attachments are bad for editing/viewing.
- Simply opening the AHK forum is crashing Firefox/Chrome. If anything is worth investing time in, it's that.
- These posts aren't huge, and they used to work fine. A post size limited to 65535 bytes is fine:
Can't Access Thread - Page 2 - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31298&p=157288#p157288
nnnik wrote:Afaics there are no other issues. You of course complain about more, but generally most of the stuff you say about forum usage programming etc. has as much relevance to me as the ramblings of a flat earther about the earths shape and geography.
Im only listening and responding to you out of a sense of responsibility to my duty as Administrator here in the forums.
That last sense of duty is slowly declining as you keep complaining about issues when abusing the forum software for something it isn't made for with a 4 year old discontinued browser.
- I talked about a serious problem crashing Firefox/Chrome, that's it.
- I'm going to give you a serious warning now, literally all of your posts on this thread have been spam and you have brought zero value to this thread. If you provide another even remotely unsatisfactory post on any of my threads, there will be consequences.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
User avatar
tank
Posts: 2765
Joined: 28 Sep 2013, 22:15
Facebook: charlie.simmons.7334
Google: ttnnkkrr
GitHub: ttnnkkrr
Location: Irving TX
Contact:

Re: phpBB issues

26 Jul 2019, 19:53

maybe you should get rid of crap in your browser. Are you really rambling on about a 2 year old problem?
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
https://www.facebook.com/ahkscript.org
If you have forum suggestions please submit a pull request
Check Out WebWriter
Thanks Tank :thumbup:
User avatar
jeeswg
Posts: 6904
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 01:58
Location: UK

Re: phpBB issues

26 Jul 2019, 21:07

@tank: The 2-year old link was for Helgef. It states that the post character limit was(/is?) 65535 characters. The limit should remain as it is, or possibly be reduced back to 65535. (No rambling. No bloat in my browser.)
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
lexikos
Posts: 6657
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 04:07
GitHub: Lexikos

Re: phpBB issues

26 Jul 2019, 21:49

joedf wrote:
29 May 2019, 19:27
IE is no longer supported my Microsoft...
Since when?
Internet Explorer 11 will be supported for the life of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
Source: Internet Explorer Web Browser End of Support - Microsoft 365
Whether we support it is another matter.

If it's just a case of poor performance in some topics in IE, I'm not overly concerned.

Microsoft recommending Edge over IE is hardly a good reason to ditch IE support. It's clear that Edge won't be around much longer in its current form, what with 'Edge' + Chromium being the future. Microsoft also recommends Bing... and of course they'll push whatever their new product is over the one it superseded. They can't not do that.
User avatar
nnnik
Posts: 4316
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 01:01
Location: Germany

Re: phpBB issues

26 Jul 2019, 23:54

Microsoft Edge, officially unveiled on January 21, 2015, has replaced Internet Explorer as the default browser on Windows 10. Internet Explorer is still installed in Windows 10 in order to maintain compatibility with older websites and intranet sites that require ActiveX and other Microsoft legacy web technologies.[43][44][45]

According to Microsoft, development of new features for Internet Explorer has ceased. However, it will continue to be maintained as part of the support policy for the versions of Windows with which it is included.[4]
This essentially means that Internet Explorer stopped getting new web technologies and optimizations in 2015. This is very much a good reason for a site that continues being part of the internet long after that point to drop support. There also have been a massive amount of good reasons to not support Internet Explorer while it got new features.

jeeswg you are not a staff member and unable to hand out warnings. We are currently deciding whether it's possible to keep you inside the forums, by changing your behavior somehow. Posts like these makes me think that the outlook for you isn't good.
Recommends AHK Studio
lexikos
Posts: 6657
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 04:07
GitHub: Lexikos

Re: phpBB issues

27 Jul 2019, 04:04

I mean "support" in the sense of ensuring the primary functions of the site work correctly. I doubt there is even one good reason to exclude IE11 users from use of the current forum platform, putting aside any frivolous new features. We don't need "new web technologies" to run a message board.

As for reasons to support it, that it's still around is enough. I don't know how it is with just the visitors to this forum, but in general it looks like IE's usage share still exceeds Edge. (Soon enough Edge support will be irrelevant anyway, what with Microsoft implementing Chromium in Edge.)
SOTE
Posts: 831
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 06:21

Re: phpBB issues

27 Jul 2019, 07:57

nnnik wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 23:54
jeeswg you are not a staff member and unable to hand out warnings. We are currently deciding whether it's possible to keep you inside the forums, by changing your behavior somehow. Posts like these makes me think that the outlook for you isn't good.
I hope nnnik and jeeswg can find a way to get along, for at least the good of the community. You both have your fans.
User avatar
nnnik
Posts: 4316
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 01:01
Location: Germany

Re: phpBB issues

28 Jul 2019, 06:15

lexikos wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 04:04
I mean "support" in the sense of ensuring the primary functions of the site work correctly. I doubt there is even one good reason to exclude IE11 users from use of the current forum platform, putting aside any frivolous new features. We don't need "new web technologies" to run a message board.

As for reasons to support it, that it's still around is enough. I don't know how it is with just the visitors to this forum, but in general it looks like IE's usage share still exceeds Edge. (Soon enough Edge support will be irrelevant anyway, what with Microsoft implementing Chromium in Edge.)
Well the primary functions work - It doesn't work on pages and topics that have large code boxes.
I assume (0 testing done) that it just that it cannot deal with an excessive amount of HTML tags which is commonly used in modern websites.

Of course our forum itself isnot really reliant on modern web technology and nothing we implement on our own is really advanced enough to use any of that.
But of course noone makes highly detailed and special considerations for outdated browsers when adding new features.
Lastly we are far from isolated. Libraries, plugins and just scripts can come from elsewhere - like our code box.

I do not see a simple method of generating a code box that uses significantly less html tags while retaining all the functionality.
We could cut short the anchor tags and make specific span tags more like them or don't use span tags when there is already an anchor tag used for a clickeable syntax element.
Potentially one could employ a canvas to render the contents of a code box, avoiding the need for html tags altogether.
However that in itself is a feat. Mainting all features will be more difficult. Lastly maintaining compatability with all sorts of screenreaders etc. seems extremly difficult.
Doing all that with the goal in mind to support an outdated browser better than normal html tags to will be pretty difficult.
Unless someone can provide a fitting library that we can use as starting point I dont see this happening.
Of course my JS knowledge for optimizations is limited so I might miss some obvious flaws and the equally obvious solutions.

On the other hand offering a second service that is uniquely responsible for handling the sharing of scripts is both feasible, beneficial to all users and would make other long term goals more easily possible.
SOTE wrote: I hope nnnik and jeeswg can find a way to get along, for at least the good of the community. You both have your fans.
Thank for your kind words.

However I feel like I should point out the following:
A) The fact that I and someone else don't really get along is not really a reason to ban anyone.
B) I am not the only one that doesn't get along with him - I'm just the one that's most apparent.
C) The reason that he doesn't get along with all members of the forum is not the only and not the major part as to why we are discussing this topic.
Recommends AHK Studio
User avatar
joedf
Posts: 7339
Joined: 29 Sep 2013, 17:08
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: phpBB issues

28 Jul 2019, 15:44

nnnik wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 06:15
[...] The fact that I and someone else don't really get along is not really a reason to ban anyone. [...]
+1 :+1:

@everyone
Lexikos makes a good point, even at my job we are still supporting IE11. I have to write and insert lots of polyfills, but it works :+1:
However with that being said, I currently experience no issues when using IE11. So all in all, if something is "majorly" broken I will try to fix/patch it. For little annoyances, they will be on a low-priority list such that when I have "too much" time on my hands, I will fix them.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500 @ 4.00 GHz, 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V - DDR4 3280 MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB | [About Me] | [ASPDM - StdLib Distribution]
[Populate the AHK MiniCity!] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library] | [About the AHK Foundation]
User avatar
jeeswg
Posts: 6904
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 01:58
Location: UK

Re: phpBB issues

28 Jul 2019, 21:55

- The old codebox was faster/used less CPU, why was this? (I know we *had* to change it.)
- I'm more concerned about the intense CPU usage, because it can cause crashes, can it be slowed down? A *slow* webpage is less of a problem.
- joedf informed me that codebox=text works, although not code=text. I'm not clear why. This is a sufficient solution AFAIAC.
- A possible idea is an option to universally disable syntax highlighting in codeboxes, for people who like to work fast.

- @SOTE: Of the two users that have given me problems, one did respond well to my olive branch, for the other, further progress probably depends on a go-between. Thanks for your comments.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
User avatar
joedf
Posts: 7339
Joined: 29 Sep 2013, 17:08
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: phpBB issues

28 Jul 2019, 22:04

- The old one was with GeSHI using PHP, it was parsed on Server-side instead of Client-side with javascript. :mrgreen:
- Sorry about the slow usage, the codebox phpbb extension is currently of date. I tried to fix it but it was too broken. It seemed simpler and faster to use prism.js
- "code " is shorthand for "codebox=ahk", The reason: none, that's just how I set it up :P
- To disable it, you can use an ad-blocker or no-script to block all the prism.*.js files :+1:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500 @ 4.00 GHz, 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V - DDR4 3280 MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB | [About Me] | [ASPDM - StdLib Distribution]
[Populate the AHK MiniCity!] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library] | [About the AHK Foundation]
User avatar
jeeswg
Posts: 6904
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 01:58
Location: UK

Re: phpBB issues

28 Jul 2019, 22:34

OK! Thanks, great information. Clarified a lot of things. Cheers.
[EDIT:] Hey wait, you're using hyphens as bullet points too!
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
User avatar
joedf
Posts: 7339
Joined: 29 Sep 2013, 17:08
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: phpBB issues

29 Jul 2019, 00:23

Yes :b I don't always really like doing it, but I think it might be clearer for you this way? :think: :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500 @ 4.00 GHz, 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V - DDR4 3280 MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB | [About Me] | [ASPDM - StdLib Distribution]
[Populate the AHK MiniCity!] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library] | [About the AHK Foundation]
User avatar
jeeswg
Posts: 6904
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 01:58
Location: UK

Re: phpBB issues

29 Jul 2019, 07:19

To repeat point 2, is it possible to throttle the syntax highlighting, i.e. to do it, but more slowly, with the equivalent of 'Sleep 10' every so often. I.e. to reduce the CPU usage and so avoid crashes.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
Helgef
Posts: 4031
Joined: 17 Jul 2016, 01:02
Contact:

Re: phpBB issues

29 Jul 2019, 12:31

joedf wrote:However with that being said, I currently experience no issues when using IE11
I just tried :arrow: one of the large posts in IE11, and it takes just a few (like five or so) seconds to load, then everything works fine. No crash. Using Opera I barely notice anything.

Cheers.
User avatar
jeeswg
Posts: 6904
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 01:58
Location: UK

Re: phpBB issues

29 Jul 2019, 13:24

- Thanks for testing. I tried it on IE twice, it took around 28 seconds each time. My PC is from 2015. Most websites load at normal speeds for me. I temporarily get this message, if I press an arrow key: autohotkey.com is not responding due to a long-running script.
- A crash (all IE tabs reopened) happens pretty rarely for me, but it's more likely when you have several/intensive things open at the same time. Also, AHK hotkeys can be forgotten, requiring script reloads.
- An interesting question would be what virus checkers you have. (You could PM me if you don't want to say.) And is it a normal laptop, or a specced up desktop.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
User avatar
joedf
Posts: 7339
Joined: 29 Sep 2013, 17:08
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: phpBB issues

29 Jul 2019, 20:32

I'll look into it again. I think prismjs offers some kind of async function or parallel parsing. Maybe I can make it somewhat smoother. :think:
Naturally, the better solution would be to have serverside parsing but that is out of the question, at least for now... :/
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500 @ 4.00 GHz, 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V - DDR4 3280 MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB | [About Me] | [ASPDM - StdLib Distribution]
[Populate the AHK MiniCity!] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library] | [About the AHK Foundation]
User avatar
nnnik
Posts: 4316
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 01:01
Location: Germany

Re: phpBB issues

30 Jul 2019, 00:40

Visiting that page with a phone is an interesting experience.
Recommends AHK Studio

Return to “Forum Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests