AutoHotkey cannot override default Windows hotkeys anymore

Report problems with documented functionality
Redbird

AutoHotkey cannot override default Windows hotkeys anymore

02 Oct 2019, 19:43

EDIT: Sorry, false alarm.
Last edited by Redbird on 20 Oct 2019, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
swagfag

Re: AutoHotkey cannot override default Windows hotkeys anymore

02 Oct 2019, 20:41

try converting it into a hook hotkey
#i::

though i have to say, ur original snippet worked for me on the latest windows/ahk versions just fine(without opening the settings pane). ran as admin
gregster

02 Oct 2019, 20:53

Not a bug, afaics - probably rather a question of permissions and elevated rights on your Win10.

I think Win10 actually protects Win+l (small L) to be able to lock the PC and I am not sure if AHK can do anything about it (you might want to search the forum), but Win+i seems not particularly protected (same with Win+r, Win+d or Win+e, for example, which all can be de-activated or assigned with a new action on my Win10 via AutoHotkey).

That means, if I don't run my AHK script as admin, I can use #i to run Irfanview, if a non-elevated window is active at the moment I press the keys.

But if, for example, Task Manager is active (which runs elevated) the normal Win10 shortcut takes over and opens the Windows settings instead... if I then re-start the same AHK script 'as administrator', #i also starts Irfanview while an elevated window, like Task Manager, is active.

But this is all normal behaviour for AHK hotkeys - the elevation of certain programs/windows on your Win10 might have changed, though...

Btw, I use
v1.1.31.00 64-bit Unicode
on Win10.0.18362 64-bit (which should be the (latest) May 2019 Update aka 1903 version)
Redbird

03 Oct 2019, 19:01

Thanks for the responses.
swagfag wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 20:41
try converting it into a hook hotkey
#i::

though i have to say, ur original snippet worked for me on the latest windows/ahk versions just fine(without opening the settings pane). ran as admin
Hook hotkey?
gregster wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 20:53
Not a bug, afaics - probably rather a question of permissions and elevated rights on your Win10.

I think Win10 actually protects Win+l (small L) to be able to lock the PC and I am not sure if AHK can do anything about it (you might want to search the forum), but Win+i seems not particularly protected (same with Win+r, Win+d or Win+e, for example, which all can be de-activated or assigned with a new action on my Win10 via AutoHotkey).

That means, if I don't run my AHK script as admin, I can use #i to run Irfanview, if a non-elevated window is active at the moment I press the keys.

But if, for example, Task Manager is active (which runs elevated) the normal Win10 shortcut takes over and opens the Windows settings instead... if I then re-start the same AHK script 'as administrator', #i also starts Irfanview while an elevated window, like Task Manager, is active.

But this is all normal behaviour for AHK hotkeys - the elevation of certain programs/windows on your Win10 might have changed, though...

Btw, I use
v1.1.31.00 64-bit Unicode
on Win10.0.18362 64-bit (which should be the (latest) May 2019 Update aka 1903 version)
Weird. I'm on Windows 10 x64 10.0.18362.356 and cannot override any of the system hotkeys no matter what, even if I run the script as admin.

Return to “Bug Reports”